Solved

top up meter at new property

• 18 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Just moved into a new property and found out they have a top up meter.  I don’t want this, i’d just like to have a Direct Debit set up as per my contract with pure planet which they can’t get started for another couple of weeks.  Will the fact that the previous set up was on a top up meter mean that there are any problems with having the regular payment set up I’ve contracted for with pure planet?  Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by woz 18 September 2020, 17:28

hi @Chris and Sam 

yes, the existing supplier must change the prepayment meter to credit mode before you switch. 

Contact them and ask them to do that otherwise you will have problems.

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @Chris and Sam 

yes, the existing supplier must change the prepayment meter to credit mode before you switch. 

Contact them and ask them to do that otherwise you will have problems.

Userlevel 4

is it a smart paygo meter? Or a standard heritage? 

As woz said if its smart your current supplier can flip the switch back to change the mode, as if it comes across on paygo, you could find that the meter runs out of credit & switches off (although the intention is they go into a vend mode and supply is unaffected, but thats not always the case )

In the other side if its a key/token meter all you need is top up card/key 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I would want to know that I could absolutely rely on it not cutting off, irrespective of what type of meter, incidentally I never said if it was smart, (although if it is it’s easy for the supplier)

Personally I wouldn’t want the aggravation of trying to sort it after the switch although it can be done.

(I’ve been told that some suppliers are err..non-compliant and won’t change it even though they should )