Solved

Time to leave

• 3 March 2018
  • 7 replies

I think it is time to leave, I don't see the point of paying £10 a month for the gas if I am not using the gas. I have moved to electricity for heating.
icon

Best answer by woz 5 March 2018, 01:51

A comparison site when you signed up, would have shown what the results of using little or no gas was on the price. PP hasn't been trading for long, so unless your change to Electric heating was on the spur-of-the-moment or your decision wasn't mainly/solely based on price, I'm surprised at your post....however to address your point more fully...

If you really aren't using ANY gas at all (cooking/gas fires/water heaters etc.?) and you were to have your meter de-energised (but see below) then based on price alone PP isn't the most competitive but it's not by as much as you might think... assuming you use 7000kWh it could be a maximum of £100 per year with only one new provider, but in general around £40 to £10 less per year with a more "proven" cheaper providers. PP is more competitive than you might think, but of course given the recent weather that may change; (I hope not!)

Assuming you might use a little gas, I've looked at the next cheapest providers and if you were to take dual fuel then the breakpoint becomes (and this is a VERY general comparison as there are a number of factors which vary) that you would have to use around 11000kWh to 12000kWh of gas for PP to become "even" based on price alone. I assumed you use say 7000kWh of electricity for this comparison; (the "quoted" UK average is only 4600, but you have electric heating).
If for example you only used 3000kWh gas per year PP would cost £30 a year more so not really a big deal.

You need to give the idea of having the gas meter disconnected/de-energised much research - it could cost a lot in both aggravation and/or money to have it de energised and more to the point later re-energised. I suggest you make enquiries about both before you take this step.

I'm sure there are reasons you've gone all electric, but even taking into account the reduced efficiency of gas heating compared to electric heating (assuming for example 80% efficiency for gas v. 100% for electric per kWh) it still costs a lot more to heat your house with electricity than with gas. (This does not account for installation costs).
Good luck in whatever you choose!
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Am I to take it you not use gas for anything ? If so you can get the gas disconnected completely and then simply close your gas acct but keep an electric acct. If you Have a connected meter then you will have to pay a standing charge even if you switch to another supplier.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I think @Jon1 is right. Just close your gas account and reopen one on electricity only. Paying for something you don't use doesn't sound right.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
A comparison site when you signed up, would have shown what the results of using little or no gas was on the price. PP hasn't been trading for long, so unless your change to Electric heating was on the spur-of-the-moment or your decision wasn't mainly/solely based on price, I'm surprised at your post....however to address your point more fully...

If you really aren't using ANY gas at all (cooking/gas fires/water heaters etc.?) and you were to have your meter de-energised (but see below) then based on price alone PP isn't the most competitive but it's not by as much as you might think... assuming you use 7000kWh it could be a maximum of £100 per year with only one new provider, but in general around £40 to £10 less per year with a more "proven" cheaper providers. PP is more competitive than you might think, but of course given the recent weather that may change; (I hope not!)

Assuming you might use a little gas, I've looked at the next cheapest providers and if you were to take dual fuel then the breakpoint becomes (and this is a VERY general comparison as there are a number of factors which vary) that you would have to use around 11000kWh to 12000kWh of gas for PP to become "even" based on price alone. I assumed you use say 7000kWh of electricity for this comparison; (the "quoted" UK average is only 4600, but you have electric heating).
If for example you only used 3000kWh gas per year PP would cost £30 a year more so not really a big deal.

You need to give the idea of having the gas meter disconnected/de-energised much research - it could cost a lot in both aggravation and/or money to have it de energised and more to the point later re-energised. I suggest you make enquiries about both before you take this step.

I'm sure there are reasons you've gone all electric, but even taking into account the reduced efficiency of gas heating compared to electric heating (assuming for example 80% efficiency for gas v. 100% for electric per kWh) it still costs a lot more to heat your house with electricity than with gas. (This does not account for installation costs).
Good luck in whatever you choose!
Hi, I did not get a notification so I did not know that someone had replied. My circumstances had changed. I had found a new way to heat the house up for free (well it paid for the electricity bill and much more). So much heat was being produce that I had to keep several windows opened.

I still don't agree about paying a membership fee for not using the gas, or just incase if the meter needs services, which it doesn't.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I would agree with you also dont pay for something you dont use. But the original points still stand that being if you no longer need gas then get the meter disconnected then no standing charge is payable. If you still use a little then obviously you have to work out which way is cheaper PP or switch gas only to another supplier ( you dont have to sswitch gas and elec). I am curious what heating source did you switch too always on the lookout for cheaper alternatives.ta drew.
I was using the exhaust heat from some very powerful computer. However, this will not be appropriate for most people.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Wow now ive seen the heat from greenhouses piped to heat a house but never from computers.