Question

switching issue

• 18 October 2020
  • 2 replies

my electric switched ok on 7/10 but smart meter still showing gas connected to old supplier on18/10 is this normal and will it correct soon as it looks like they still planning to take direct debit at end of month

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Edwardsk 

Welcome to the Pure Planet community! When you post here you are not talking directly to Pure Planet but to your fellow customers. Others will have thoughts on your meter issues, but I just wanted to explain that your direct debit gets taken every month come what may! That's because you are using energy - you are asked for monthly readings to help make sure that your payments are covering your actual usage.

If your smart meter isn't sorted by the end of the month, you can always submit your readings by reading the meter yourself.

But I'm sure you will get advice as to how to get it sorted

Stephen

my electric switched ok on 7/10 but smart meter still showing gas connected to old supplier on18/10 is this normal and will it correct soon as it looks like they still planning to take direct debit at end of month

Hi @Edwardsk 

Welcome to the Pure Planet community.

To add to @stephenrand’s answer, and taking your two issues individually:
“my electric switched ok on 7/10 but smart meter still showing gas connected to old supplier on18/10”

There can be, and at least so far as I’m aware usually is, a delay between switching - usually electricity switches first, then gas. That is probably why your gas is still showing as connected to your old supplier.

“it looks like they still planning to take direct debit at end of month”
I presume this is talking about your previous supplier - the ‘switching’ process can take up to 6 weeks for a final bill to be issued by your previous supplier (OFGEM regulations) during this time, your previous supplier may continue to take your direct debits, which they will refund to you within 10 days of issuing your final bill - if you are sure you have enough credit to cover your likely outstanding bill, you could ask your previous supplier to not take the direct debit - whatever you do, try to avoid cancelling it, as this makes your refund harder to get.

Kindest regards

Gwyndy