Solved

Storage heater rented property

• 7 April 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi

We’re PP customers and looking at moving to a flat which has cheaper rent but storage heaters in all the rooms. 

Trying to weight up the pros and cons of different scenarios, but it’s really hard to do without knowing what the leccy bills might be on Pure Planet.

Does anyone have some figures for heating a 3-bed flat based on real usage (no double glazing)?

Cheers

Lolo

icon

Best answer by woz 7 April 2021, 20:21

Hi

We’re PP customers and looking at moving to a flat which has cheaper rent but storage heaters in all the rooms. 

Trying to weight up the pros and cons of different scenarios, but it’s really hard to do without knowing what the leccy bills might be on Pure Planet.

Does anyone have some figures for heating a 3-bed flat based on real usage (no double glazing)?

Cheers

Lolo

hi @Lolo 

is the existing supply split rate (for example economy 7) or single rate? If you have access to the mpan it will start with a 2 if it’s split rate.

Is the flat ground or top floor or is it sandwiched between two floors? That will make a big difference to your consumption.

It’s not the cost you should be asking about but what the annual consumption is and if on a split rate tariff what percentage is at low rate, because without that knowledge you’re simply guessing in the dark (even if the lights are on...), If you want my guess, if it’s ground or top floor and only has electricity to heat I’d guess  7500kWh a year of which at least 2/3 will be down to the storage heaters.

One thing is for sure, if electricity is your only means of heating then and you’re on a split rate supply then PP will not be your best option, but as @25 quid says you could go on the variable tariff and look to switch mid September to a company who offer a split rate IF you have a split rate supply.

View original

6 replies

Hi @Lolo and welcome.

I haven’t any specifics, but it’s going to be expensive. Others will weigh in with specifics I suspect… 

Hopefully the summer will be warm (and cheaper), but maybe move again before the winter?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Everyone’s different Lolo re body temperatures fluctuating, and some preferring layers with fresh air, others love stuffy hot heat, there’s no right or wrong, and therefore no way of estimating costs. I do know storage heaters are a nightmare, unless you can exactly predict the weather the following day, and as we know from these few weeks, it can go from 👙weather to hat, 🧣and 🧤weather literally overnight! 

So, for those reasons, I stopped using mine. Prefer oil free radiators for a less stuffy, and more controlled feel. I love natural cosiness, but not stuffy heat. Think all I can advise, from personal experience, is give the storage heaters a try, see how they go for a month or two maybe, then decide whether to continue using next winter, or replace with something more economical when you have time to consider it all, over the summer. Good luck 👍

Hi @Lolo, I just noticed this post that you could follow up on…

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi

Cheers

Lolo

hi @Lolo 

is the existing supply split rate (for example economy 7) or single rate? If you have access to the mpan it will start with a 2 if it’s split rate.

Is the flat ground or top floor or is it sandwiched between two floors? That will make a big difference to your consumption.

It’s not the cost you should be asking about but what the annual consumption is and if on a split rate tariff what percentage is at low rate, because without that knowledge you’re simply guessing in the dark (even if the lights are on...), If you want my guess, if it’s ground or top floor and only has electricity to heat I’d guess  7500kWh a year of which at least 2/3 will be down to the storage heaters.

One thing is for sure, if electricity is your only means of heating then and you’re on a split rate supply then PP will not be your best option, but as @25 quid says you could go on the variable tariff and look to switch mid September to a company who offer a split rate IF you have a split rate supply.

Userlevel 1

Thanks all, esp. @25 quid & @woz - really helpful answers.

Thanks for posting back @Lolo it means a lot. Good luck!