Solved

Spread payments evenly throughout the year?

• 30 December 2017
  • 15 replies

Hi,

I've just switched and would like to spread my payments evenly throughout the year so they're the same in summer as in winter, it makes it much easier from a budgeting point of view. How do I do this?
icon

Best answer by Toby 2 January 2018, 10:14

Hi @Ryant213,

At the moment, we can only offer a winter/summer tariff, as this helps us to ensure we charge appropriately for what members use. Do you use similar amounts across the year? A few other members I have spoken to do, so they provide regular meter readings to make sure we're aware.
View original

15 replies

Following with interest...
Userlevel 5
Hi @Ryant213,

At the moment, we can only offer a winter/summer tariff, as this helps us to ensure we charge appropriately for what members use. Do you use similar amounts across the year? A few other members I have spoken to do, so they provide regular meter readings to make sure we're aware.
Userlevel 1

I find the difference annoying  to the stage I'll be changing provider when my contract is up in June 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I find the difference annoying  to the stage I'll be changing provider when my contract is up in June 

@Muckleflugga 

Good luck

Don’t forget to weigh up any difference in cost.

Let’s suppose it was £50 (or insert whatever number suits) more a year to go with a different provider (it could be less I’m just supposing)
When you do your switch ask yourself whether if PP gave you a £50 credit that year for accepting 60/40 split payments it would be worth it to you to do that. 

That’s just another way of looking at it as I’m tired of the same old arguments which keep being recycled on here. 

Put simply for those that are able to budget the worst case impact is starting a contract in September and it amounts to paying only 10% more of your annual cost over those 6 months.

my musings below, don’t take them too seriously..

This doesn’t take into account the age factor (this is my theory only that older people are less likely to accept the split because they’ve always had equal 1/12 payments) or OCD which I fully accept is a valid reason for rejection. (that’s the same OCD which says payments have to not contain odd pence...)

Userlevel 1

As a middle aged person trying to budget through furlough, £100 in the summer £140 in winter, I'd rather go elsewhere and pay £120 the year round, and that's what I plan. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As a middle aged person trying to budget through furlough, £100 in the summer £140 in winter, I'd rather go elsewhere and pay £120 the year round, and that's what I plan. 

Hi @Muckleflugga 

Bear in mind that prices have risen dramatically across the board, so you won't find anyone offering you £120 a month now. So when you do your comparison site search you may find a company offering a similar rate to Pure Planet in 12 equal payments - but a month or so back, when they were about the cheapest on offer, you would, as Woz said, have had to decide whether you wanted to pay more over the year to have 12 equal payments. 

Userlevel 1

So you reckon there's noone equal or even cheaper than pure planet? 

Giving true readings, scottish power have come in the same direct on their site. I don't use comparison sites. 

So if they’re the same, and they have even payments, then it sounds like you’re good to go…

PS You can still check the comparison sites anonymously and then go to their recommended option manually.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Muckleflugga 

As a middle aged customer trying to budget your maths is wrong, (or something is), if your winter payments are £140 your summer would be £93.34
12 equal payments on those figures would be 12 x £116.67

If you meant £100 and £150 then 12 equal payments would be £125

Userlevel 1

Sorry if I was a penny or two out, was a rough estimate to explain why I dislike the pricing policy. Personal opinion 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So you reckon there's noone equal or even cheaper than pure planet? 

Giving true readings, scottish power have come in the same direct on their site. I don't use comparison sites. 

There wasn't a month ago, was what I said. If Scottish Power do what you want, that's great! Hopefully you won't need to use their very poorly rated customer service!!

Good luck

Stephen

Userlevel 1

And there's a company with decent customer service?? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

And there's a company with decent customer service?? 

https://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/guides/best-energy-customer-service/

Userlevel 1

I'd take that with a pinch of  salt, was with bulb for a bit and found them to be horrific. 

Think I shall leave this here, started off as a question re the split payments and has gone off topic somewhat. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Muckleflugga 

haha...If you think this has gone off topic you should see some of the other posts.

Actually it hasn’t gone off topic at all, you said you were switching.

Anyway I wish you luck whoever you move to and although you’ve clearly made up your mind I’d like to add one more comment which is precisely on topic. 

Since we have now moved into the low payment part of the year and the hard hitting bit has already gone by  your payments will now be lower for 6 months.  So why not get the pure planet carbon friendly piggybank out (no methane out of the back end:pig2::bomb: (sorry @Bev   I couldn’t find the fart emoji - used the nearest equivalent) and stick  £6 a week in it. You can raid it when it gets to October and it will all work out OK.

Maths as follows:

Assume annual of £1440 (using your figure of £120 a month x12)

PP’s Low payment £96 vs £120 for equal = £24 a month difference, 6 months =144 or approx £6 a week (actually slightly less it’s nearer £5.50 a week)