Some perspective on energy prices.....Don't get too excited...(or depressed)

• 24 December 2021
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 13666 replies

Gas prices plunge as flotilla of tankers heads for Europe

Milder forecasts for early January have also pushed down prices that soared to new highs this week

But we aren’t out of the woods yet, and likely won’t be for quite a while as Russia is the gas price controller.

So for perspective here’s one hell of a chart to show just how deep in s*it we are (Europe), given the 10 year view.

1 Year on top, 10 Year below.

it’s now about 5 times higher than the average, axis is in €/ megawatt-hour.

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yo @woz your hitting the community with some serious bissell just on the cusp of festive tides of yule.

Still pondering on the Wok….

Have a sherry, have a port, top it off with an egg nog and in the morning have hair of the dog.

Ching ching chung chung and ping lets us all sing-a-ling fing

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Strutt G

sorry about that, I figured no one would see it for a few days!

Have a great Christmas!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

ho ho ho joking wityer...

For those of you, who like me, don’t have access to the Telegraph’s paywall.

European Nat Gas Prices Plunge (yahoo.com)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Apologies about the paywall, I’m not a paid subscriber either I did consider screenshotting but   journos have to eat too.

Here’s the source

The article didn’t tell you much more than the charts, the numbers speak for themselves.

Badge +5

A chap from OVO spouted today about future costs. He is quoted as the founder of OVO but he resigned as a director some months back and just look at their accounts!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

The thrust of what he was saying is that it would be disastrous for consumers if they had to bear the costs of what could be a near doubling of energy prices.

Irrespective of his motives or how he ran the company, you can’t get away from the fact that the goverment’s plan as it stands is to do little but let market forces prevail and he is correct to point out that isn’t a good idea. 

Of course the law of unintended consequences will mean that whatever steps the gov. takes will cause more expense and problems that it solves...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thrust. I like that word 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

LOL @Bev 

I say madam, yer can’t beat a good thrust after Christmas day…

you missed my late and very pathetic alpaca joke

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ooooh let me go look, been only dipping toe in today hastily…...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Not bad our Wozeeta, not bad 😁😁😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Bev LOL, I thought the Llama Turner joke was bad but that is measurably worse!

Badge +5

@woz Sorry, but my brain did not get the alpaca and Amazon connection! Must be age. 

Thrust. I like that word 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Plinth. I like that word 🤔

Badge +5

@Bev  I lack the confidence to ask why the word “thrust” gives pleasure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Have confidence our Rich 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. 

I have absolutely no idea hee hee, just a good strong word hee. Not used often, so nice one to slip in now and then. Oooo er, deffo no pun intended there! 

Badge +5

@Bev  incorrigible!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Is that just a word you like, or is that me?! Sounds bad! 😳

Badge +5

@Bev  Dare I say I thought I would just slip it in?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Complaints Department

I’ve been hijacked. This is a fauxtrage (that’s when someone pretends to be outraged)

What are you going to do about it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

No lie, I thought our Notelets was on a mission today to hijack every thread and change it to something totes totally totally different 😳🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Bit of cosy Worzel now! 

Just been enjoying Swagger! Very good and reminds me of how rubbish I was at Basketball…

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m deliberately not replying, this is first order sabotage. (Never feed hijackers or pirates, I saw that film with Tom Hanks...whatever it was called (but there was a ship in it)

Yup, you're right. Stick to your principles! 

Badge +5

I’m deliberately not replying, this is first order sabotage. (Never feed hijackers or pirates, I saw that film with Tom Hanks...whatever it was called (but there was a ship in it)

Can I possibly ask for some intelligent coherence to your postings that us ordinary mortals may have just a chance of understanding? Notwithstanding hamsters and other fruits.