Solved

smart meter failure

• 11 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Hello PP customers. Our smart meter doesnt send gas readings only electric. I discovered this when I sent an actual reading finding debit of approx £900. That was before this fuel price increase and the debit amount is now just rising. Paying more in winter wont clear this debt, our monthly usage cost seems to have trippled despite our attempts to cut costs. Does anyone have advise (apart from send manual readings and/or pay the debt). Thanks guy

icon

Best answer by 25 quid 11 October 2021, 18:25

View original

5 replies

Hey @Greiner,

You can contact PP and tell them your meter is broken.

In the app tap Help then Ask a Question. Now tell the Wattbot machine your situation. It likely won’t understand, so type Message the team to get the attention of a real human.

They should reply in a few days normally — but it’s not very normal round here at the moment.

You can also ask for an account review in the app. That might tickle a different member of the PP team and as you now have a real reading, they might be able to suggest an adjustment.

Don’t quit your tariff at the moment. Sit tight. There’s quite a storm ahead!

At least you’ve got your higher (unexpected usage) on the books at a lower price. Small consolation normally, but quite a big consolation give the likely incipient price rises. #gallows_humour

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hello PP customers. Our smart meter doesnt send gas readings only electric. I discovered this when I sent an actual reading finding debit of approx £900. That was before this fuel price increase and the debit amount is now just rising. Paying more in winter wont clear this debt, our monthly usage cost seems to have trippled despite our attempts to cut costs. Does anyone have advise (apart from send manual readings and/or pay the debt). Thanks guy

@Greiner 

I’m unclear

Is the issue that they haven’t had real readings to bill you on or that the meter is clocking up much faster?

Send a photo with real readings using wattbot and you’ll get a corrected bill if it’s the former otherwise if you really think its clocking up faster I suggest take 2 readings a day for the next week (with photos) to give you a handle on whether you really have a broken meter. What you want to avoid is calling them for a meter test when there’s nothing wrong with it cos it will cost you.

Thanks for the advise it has given us food for thought. There are certainly hard times ahead if a family of four with two working parents are in this state. Gallows indeed.