Solved

Smart meter

• 25 July 2019
  • 8 replies

Just had a smart meter fitted. All went well but needle on electricity display is always in red section and the LED is always red even when electricity usage is down to £0.02/hour! There is no Usage level option in Advanced settings. How can the dial's sensitivity level be altered?
icon

Best answer by woz 26 July 2019, 13:32

haha - no prob, I was thinking of changing it anyway.

Must admit I wondered this a while back, my guess is it's set the same for everyone, I think we need to ask PP to clarify whether this is a per-user setting and whether:
1. It can be altered or
2. It can be disabled and manual control given to the user if requested. (but even the user options are restricted to 3 individual presets)

​I think I can guess the answer to 2. I hate stuff that's dumbed-down to the point of giving the user no control.
The problem here is that if you give people new toys they expect them to work. It wasn't a problem before anyone had power meters or IHD's

If it's still not working properly after a few days then it's faulty and you should put a request in for it to be fixed. It's all part of the installation feedback. Have you cross-checked that the actual meter seems to recording what seems like the real power you're using? Take some daily readings just to be on the safe side. (My thinking here is if one part isn't working I'd have little confidence in the rest; your mileage may vary in that respect.)

PaulRob;34003:
Woz- I typed your name wrong -Soz
Thanks for your helpful replies
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi
Have you tried setting a budget on the IHD?
Angelabikerbabe;33985:
Hi
Have you tried setting a budget on the IHD?

Hi Angela
Yes budget is set
Meter was fitted yesterday
I'm wondering if dial learns usage and alters sensitivity as there seems no way to alter
Thanks
Paul
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi PaulRob and Angela
as far as I know you can only adjust the sensitivity (in Advanced Settings) IF the information is NOT provided by the smart meter.
So if you are able to adjust it then it isn't receiving that info, and I think, but not absolutely sure that that info is supposed to be set by PP in the meter. (not 100% sure perhaps someone else can confirm?)
Not sure that the budget will affect the sensitivity but no harm in trying, also if all else fails there's reset (I've no idea what will happen if you do though!)
woz;33988:
hi PaulRob and Angela
as far as I know you can only adjust the sensitivity (in Advanced Settings) IF the information is NOT provided by the smart meter.
So if you are able to adjust it then it isn't receiving that info, and I think, but not absolutely sure that that info is supposed to be set by PP in the meter. (not 100% sure perhaps someone else can confirm?)
Not sure that the budget will affect the sensitivity but no harm in trying, also if all else fails there's reset (I've no idea what will happen if you do though!)

Hi Soz
Thanks for reply
I've already tried reset
You're right the display seems to have sensitivity set by PP in the meter but I'm still wondering how PP can be asked to alter it; or does it learn and alter itself?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi PaulRob
​I think it will have to be checked by PP remotely.
No harm in giving it a couple of days to see if it changes and anyway it'll encourage you to switch stuff off!!
You can send a message in help through wattbot, type message the team and ask but I would give it 2 or 3 days to see what happens.(if you can bear the red needle)

Soz indeed!! @Bev I'm not changing to Sozeeta, Mavis is bad enough...
PaulRob;33990:
Hi Soz
Thanks for reply
I've already tried reset
You're right the display seems to have sensitivity set by PP in the meter but I'm still wondering how PP can be asked to alter it; or does it learn and alter itself?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Blue Planet makes me howl, but Soz made me almost pee my pants 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
haha - no prob, I was thinking of changing it anyway.

Must admit I wondered this a while back, my guess is it's set the same for everyone, I think we need to ask PP to clarify whether this is a per-user setting and whether:
1. It can be altered or
2. It can be disabled and manual control given to the user if requested. (but even the user options are restricted to 3 individual presets)

​I think I can guess the answer to 2. I hate stuff that's dumbed-down to the point of giving the user no control.
The problem here is that if you give people new toys they expect them to work. It wasn't a problem before anyone had power meters or IHD's

If it's still not working properly after a few days then it's faulty and you should put a request in for it to be fixed. It's all part of the installation feedback. Have you cross-checked that the actual meter seems to recording what seems like the real power you're using? Take some daily readings just to be on the safe side. (My thinking here is if one part isn't working I'd have little confidence in the rest; your mileage may vary in that respect.)

PaulRob;34003: