Sending a meter reading when not a customer

Help! I need to send a meter reading for a property which has sat empty for a month after tenants moved out before the new owners move in tomorrow. I am not a Pure Planet customer so can’t log on to an account. Is this possible or do I need to wait for someone to email me.
Totally exasperated by this company & not even a customer!

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Vintage, or Possum (or both)
Send a Direct Message (little envelope top right) to Marc with details of the Address, postcode, meter numbers if you have them, meter readings, the name of the person who had the PP account and your contact details (email/phone etc.)
That should help identifying the account and someone will get back to you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi the tenants should of closed the acct with PP when they moved out.and when the new owners move in they will have to sign up to Pure Planet or switch to another supplier.
If the old tenants did not close the acct then they are still liable for the energy being used so one would presume they did close the acct.
Like you say as your not the customer then only limited help can be given due to data protection blah blah blah.
Best solition would be to make sure the new owners are aware of who is currently the supplier namely pure planet and leave it up to them.
Hi @Vintagepossum
Welcome to the Pure Planet community!
How are you totally exasperated? I'm sure we can help 🆙
The reply you've had from @Jon1 is really good. Some great info which I hope has been useful:)
I'm still trying to send a meter reading. I really have better things to do than spend 40 minutes going round in circles and still no success. Does Pure Planet have any employees?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi again.
I don't really understand why you need to send a meter reading?
When the tenant moved out they should of settled the bill, as landlord (i presume you were) i dont really think its your responsibility to sort this out.the new owners who move in will sort out who they want to be the supplier and provide the necessary readings to the utility company of choice.
hi again, the problem is the property has been empty, although has had water heating, timed lights etc for a month (security & cleaning & decorating etc) & has now been sold. The new owner doesn’t want to pay for the month it was empty, but I do. Why the hell this is so seriously complicated I can’t begin to understand. Does Pure Planet have any employees?
I guess I’ll have to wait until they start chasing someone for payment. A pain for the new owner to have this to sort out when it should be so simple. 0 out of 10 for Pure Planet
Hi @Vintagepossum

You won't be able to send us meter readings because your name won't be on supply with us.
I've flagged this with our Members services team.
This is what you need to do:

We're in the process of issuing a final bill to your previous tenants.
Once you've signed up, that means we'll have your details.
Your new tenants should also sign up after you.
Then we'll be able to issue you with a 'final bill' too for the small amount used while the property has been empty.
That means you'll be liable for the empty month, the old tenants for the energy used up until they left, and your new tenants from the time they move in.

Hope that makes sense.

We see you're in chat with our team already, too. They'll be on the lookout for you signing up as outlined above. 🆙
Thanks Marc, I can't believe this is so complicated for something that should be so simple. I assume Pure Planet will email asking for meter readings, hopefully before I leave the country as payment could start to get very complicated. The property has been sold and I've already warned the new owner that I haven't been able to contact the energy company.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Apologies if my reply caused any confusion but I'm now confused- if the previous tenants closed the account, but the supplier wasn't changed, I assume PP remain the supplier. In the period where there were no new tenants who would be billed? Would it not be the responsibility of the previous tenant to supply the new details to PP, or would PP pursue the previous tenants for any usage after they left?
What I'm asking is how is it supposed to work with tenants? (Marc I have read your reply)

In my simple way I assumed it was a matter of changing the name on the account at the meter reading point when the tenants left, billing the tenants and any future bills to the new name. Don't accounts have a flag when it's a rented property with the name of the landlord and their agreement to be responsible when tenants leave?

I've no experience of this I'm just trying to get some clarity for my own benefit (and for anyone who reads this in the future)
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hello @woz.
As far as im aware when a tenant leaves obviously they should settle their account.
Then the new tenant will sign up and become responsible for the charges.
If the property is empty and not being used then obviously there would be no usage so not a problem.
If the owner of the property is using the services then they are meant to sign up and become the customer from the day the tenant moved out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Jon1;9902:
Hello @woz.
As far as im aware when a tenant leaves obviously they should settle their account.
Then the new tenant will sign up and become responsible for the charges.
If the property is empty and not being used then obviously there would be no usage so not a problem.
If the owner of the property is using the services then they are meant to sign up and become the customer from the day the tenant moved out.

Hi Jon/D
Thanks for the reply
The theory is good but the only way to have no energy usage is to turn off the gas supply and kill the mains switch. In practice that isn't going to happen (and anyway no landlord is going to do that in winter). So in reality the landlord (or new tenant- whoever is next in line) should sign up as soon as the previous tenants move out.

Would it not be much simpler to have a flag on rented property accounts with the name of the landlord and the contact details, so when the tenant leaves and gives meter readings the account reverts to being the responsibility of the landlord....
...forget that it would be too easy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Now now woz. Dont be silly making things easy does not compute with government agency's.
I have experianced a lot of landlords who include utilities as part of the rent. I prefer the golden oldie days of the 50pence payment meters. A lot of landlords insist tenents have to have prepayment meters purely to avoid this type of issue while a property is tenant free.
Now thats reminded me of when my parents had a meter on the TV we rented from rumbelows.jesus how old am i.😕
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Jon1;9905:

Now thats reminded me of when my parents had a meter on the TV we rented from rumbelows.jesus how old am i.😕

My grandparents had one too Jon ;););)
Still waiting for Pure Planet to explain how I send a meter reading. A real pain having to check their app regularly while waiting for someone to get back to me. I’ve trying everyday for over a week now with no success.
Hi @Vintagepossum
I'm sending you a Direct Message about this 🆙
What a fluffle! Possibly easier to just get new tenants to sign up when they move in and pay them the difference? It is easy to calculate how much is owed as everyone is on the same rate, and then you just give them the money, job done? Then you can pop off on holiday when you’re ready, too!
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
What’s a fluffle? Is it similar to a kerfuffle? Fab user name btw 🆙, Loveheartz!
Bev;10298:
What’s a fluffle? Is it similar to a kerfuffle? Fab user name btw 🆙, Loveheartz!

Lol yep my sis was quite young when Little Britain came out so when she told us to stop making such a ‘fluffle’ we just went with it. 😅 Can I claim it as a colloquialism? And thanks ☺️
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
What an awesome story! Love that! ;)🆙
Finally received a monthly statement from Pure Planet with the total bill for energy used. Total comes to £3.87. Oh, plus two membership fees (gas & electricity) & VAT comes to £16.87. Is this a punishment for being awkward or is this standard practice?
Looking forward to deleting the Pure Planet app & avoiding them for the rest of my days!
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi vintage.
No this is not punishment but rather the bill you are liable for. The only issue here was caused because you did not sign up to PP when you bacame responsible for the utility charges on the day your old tenents moved out but instead waited till the property was sold a month later.
I have 2 accouts with pure planet and have found them to be nothing but pure quality.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hear hear Jon 🆙
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Vintagepossum;10771:
Finally received a monthly statement from Pure Planet with the total bill for energy used. Total comes to £3.87. Oh, plus two membership fees (gas & electricity) & VAT comes to £16.87. Is this a punishment for being awkward or is this standard practice?
Looking forward to deleting the Pure Planet app & avoiding them for the rest of my days!

Sounds too cheap to me, your original post said it was for a month, the monthly fee alone is £8.50 per fuel so I'd quit while you're winning!

I'd like to add that you've had nothing but prompt help from the community and PP here, so personally I don't think your comment is justified.
Isn't it "par for the course" for landlords to deal with this (relatively trivial) sort of thing?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Your edit reasons alone deserve the thumbs up Woz! :D:up::D
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thanks Bev!
Bev;10794:
Your edit reasons alone deserve the thumbs up Woz! :D:up::D