Solved

Regional pricing

• 7 November 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 1226 replies
I was looking at the regional price chart and noted that I live in the most expensive area for electric ( Merseyside ). I wondered why there is such a variation in prices, surely all electric energy comes from the same power grid
icon

Best answer by woz 7 November 2018, 23:55

hi Duppy
you’d think so but it’s a historic anomaly based on the costs to transport the electricity in different network regions.
In some respects for the far flung regions you can see the justification as the infrastructure is longer and more difficult,(think N. Scotland) also prices are dependant on quantity so the more dense the region the cheaper it’s likely to be, but that’s just the way it is and there’s nothing you can do about it apart from moving house!
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Duppy
you’d think so but it’s a historic anomaly based on the costs to transport the electricity in different network regions.
In some respects for the far flung regions you can see the justification as the infrastructure is longer and more difficult,(think N. Scotland) also prices are dependant on quantity so the more dense the region the cheaper it’s likely to be, but that’s just the way it is and there’s nothing you can do about it apart from moving house!
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
woz;15893:
hi Duppy

Yes, I know there is nothing I can do about it and have to accept it, but with a variation of 1.79 pence per unit difference that can result in quite a large amount for a medium/ heavy user in expensive areas. Like you say we just have to live with it and pay up
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Apologies it wasn't intended as a pay up and shut up comment, I was trying to be sympathetic and also resigned to the fact, but I guess it didn't come across too well...
I did do a chart a while ago showing the percentage variations, it's HERE if you're interested (Actually thinking about it there is something you can do, fit solar panels, but I'm guessing the feed in tariffs don't vary the same way by area..or do they...?
Duppy;15899:
Yes, I know there is nothing I can do about it and have to accept it, but with a variation of 1.79 pence per unit difference that can result in quite a large amount for a medium/ heavy user in expensive areas. Like you say we just have to live with it and pay up
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
woz;15914:
Apologies it wasn't intended as a pay up and shut up comment, I was trying to be sympathetic and also resigned to the fact, but I guess it didn't come across too well...
I did do a chart a while ago showing the percentage variations, it's HERE if you're interested (Actually thinking about it there is something you can do, fit solar panels, but I'm guessing the feed in tariffs don't vary the same way by area..or do they...?

I did consider fitting solar panels some years ago on one of the many schemes around at the time, but apparently my roof is facing the wrong direction to be profitable to repay the company, and they were too expensive to consider buying outright. I have noted that none of the houses on my road/ area have solar panels

- - - Updated - - -

Hi WOZ, I have just looked at the link you posted regarding the regional differences chart, the cgart as is the while post is quite informative and must of took some time to compile, so thank you. I did do a search for regional price difference but that post never came up, if it had I probably would never have asked the question, so once again thank you
Hi @Duppy @woz is spot on
It is down to the cost of transporting gas and electricity to your home.
The costs are determined and applied by your Distribution Network Operator (DNO) and we pass these on at cost.We don’t make money on the transport costs of getting energy to your home.