Solved

Readings don't match

• 7 December 2021
  • 8 replies

Electricity meter issue. My submitted readings all ascend in a relatively even manner over the course of months, however the smart readings taken automatically are considerable lower, as though when the meter was installed the readings were reset to zero centrally, but the meter continued from where it left off, so when I sent a reading in a couple of weeks after the smart reading, it added over £1000 to my bill. The physical reading is literally double, in numerical terms, that which they are sent automatically by the meter.

icon

Best answer by woz 7 December 2021, 15:28

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Coylee_91

My brain gets confused easily, I’m going to attempt a translation, tell me if I’ve got it wrong

Your meter was changed and thus the reading reset to zero (as a new meter usually does). You expected the billing for the old meter up to the point it was removed and the new billing to start with the new meter from zero. but the billing still thinks your old meter is in place? Or have I completely misunderstood?

Have you used help>ask a question in your account to send a message to customer services explaining this?

The new meter was fitted before I moved in, but basically, the smart readings started at zero but the new meter apparently had the old balance put in, so I submitted a reading of 14523 when their smart reading had told them 6316, so according to their records I used 8,200 kWh in 19 days 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Coylee_91

Sorry, I don’t understand what you mean by the new meter had the old balance put in, it doesn’t work like that. When a meter is changed you are billed up to when the old meter finished with whatever reading it had, and then a new billing starts from zero on the new meter. It always works like that (or should do)

Another point, a reading of 6316 is a long way from zero, which tells me that unless you’re a huge user the meter must have been in quite a while before getting to that figure (well over a year)

I can’t make sense of what you’ve written, are you saying that they took a smart reading from the new meter  but you read it manually and got a completely different figure?? If that’s what you're saying then my suspicion would be that either you’ve read the meter incorrectly or perhaps it’s been reconfigured because you’re on dual rate and there are 2 registers to read not one.

Are you on a 2 rate supply like economy 7  by any chance? (even though your tariff may only be single rate) Does your mpan start with a 1 or a 2? (look at an older statement)

Can you post some photos of the meter showing the reading(s).(obliterate the meter serial if you can) 

Inevitably you’re going to have to communicate with Customer services over this but it might help if you post back to see if we can help you figure out what’s going on.

Go to the meter (not to the IHD but to the meter on the wall) and get some photos is my advice.

Admittedly, it's been nearly 2 months since I submitted the reading of 14523.

Userlevel 6
Badge

Morning @Coylee_91  and welcome to the Community!

Big thanks to @woz  who has been looking into this with you :blush:

It’s worth getting in touch with our Member Services team to check this one out, so that we can check your meter photos and readings against our billing system.  I recommend taking up to date meter photos, and making sure the photos include the whole meter, so that they can see the meter serial number, meter reading and meter type.  

You can get in touch with Member Services through ‘help’ > ‘ask a question’ when logged in to your app, or at purepla.net. 

Jenny :relaxed:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Coylee_91 

I just wrote a lengthy reply which promptly erased itself…

Can you check your mpan on an older statement and see if it starts with a 1 or a 2.

If you press 6 again does it give a second register reading?

Also what is (or was before this) your expected annual consumption?

Do you heat with electric or gas?

the issue I have is that figure represents 3 or more years of “normal” consumption (broadly between 3500 and 5500 a year for most peeps) but you said the meter hasn’t been in that long - could you be incorrect and it’s been in for a lot longer? The 63xx figure is much more plausible in that regard.

My guess is that the smart readings are from someone else’s meter or your meter has glitched when set to single rate.

Of course you don’t have to engage with me, follow the suggestion in the above post and if you can be bothered let us know the outcome?

To my knowledge, seeing as I only moved in back in August, the earliest they could have been installed is in 2014 when the kitchen was extended and a new boiler fitted. The gas handles all the heating, water and cooking, and that meter read 4733 when the electric was submitted in October. They are virtually identical units and fitted at the same time. I'm away from home tonight but I'll check any further on screen data tomorrow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Coylee_91 The gas meter reads in cu.m not kWh so the expected annual increase is very different.

If the annual gas was say (guessed) somewhere between 12000 and 20,000 kWh (as a broad range for 3-4 bed property) that, very approximately, (it depends on calorific value) equates to between 1100 and 1800 cu.m a year. So...looking somewhere around those figures that would put the gas meter between 2.7 and 4.3 years old. Applying the same idea to your electric meter assuming they went in at the same time that places your E meter at 2.75 to 4.3 years old, and I promise I didn’t adjust the annual to get these results I based it on Ofgem averages but the correlation speaks volumes (if you’ll pardon the pun) 

Based on that I’m even more certain that the Smart metering is askew, the question is when did it go wrong…

It’s going to take some disentangling but in the meanwhile I’d dig out as many of the oldest statements you have.