Solved

Problem re Priority Services Register

• 7 February 2019
  • 17 replies

My wife and I share our accommodation with our daughter and her family and recently have switched to PP with the account being in my son-in-law's name.

To enable me to submit meter readings, a few days ago my son-in-law nominated me to be his "authorised account manager" and in the App > Menu > Account gave my name and email address. When I downloaded the App I immediately received a message saying (to the best of my memory) PP wished to send me messages and giving me the option to 'allow' or 'not allow' and I pressed the former. However when I attempted to login using MY email address I got "Email address not found". When I used HIS address I got a message saying an email had just been sent to him!

On Tuesday night I sent a message to Wattbot but so far have not heard anything. Does anyone know if there is anything more to be done either by me or my son-in-law so that I can login to the App?
icon

Best answer by Marc 8 February 2019, 10:57

Hi @Peternosmas

Welcome to the community!
Thanks for posting and starting this great discussion.🆙
The PSR form's section about authorising another person to manage your account means we can contact them and discuss otherwise confidential info with them.
So in your case, you can chat to our Member services team about your son-in-law's energy account, energy usage, etc.
It doesn't mean you can login to the app using a different email address to send meter readings. Your feedback here is really useful - I'm sure we could make that clearer in the PSR form. So I've passed this on our tech team.

Our app doesn't currently support multiple users, although it's on our development roadmap.
For now, you can use your son-in-law's email address. He can forward you the login email as @woz has described.:)
View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
@Peternosmas
hi Peter
Hmm I'm somewhat confused by this, but I have a theory.. (I may be wrong so don't take this as gospel)
I've just had a look in the app at the PSR section and I can see the part to which you are referring - the part which says If you'd like to authorise someone to manage your account..blah..blah..
I think the problem here is that section doesn't do what you (and any reasonable person) might think it should do (I'll have more ahem...comments about that later if I'm correct and I apologise if not)

I know that multiple email logins on an account are not supported yet, so I think the idea of that section is that when a communication is sent to the account holder you will receive duplicate communications by email to let you know what's happening.

If I'm right about this there is possibly a simple solution, If you arrange with your son-in-law to forward once.. (or better still set up a rule to auto forward) the login emails from PP, to an email account you can access from your device, then if you log in with his email address, and use the login link to log into the app, you will be able to use the app. If you don't log out (closing the app does NOT log you out) you won't need the login mail again, but if you set up an auto forward as above that isn't important)
I've just tried logging in from two devices on the same account and it works.

If I'm correct about this then that PSR section needs some serious disambiguation (that's me being polite).
Let me know if the above works?

and now I'll wait for @Marc to tell me I'm wrong - I hope I am because if I'm correct the implementation leaves much to be desired (it's OK I'm quite used to being wrong, I've been trained by the wife...)

Peternosmas;23022:
My wife and I share our accommodation with our daughter and her family and recently have switched to PP with the account being in my son-in-law's name.

To enable me to submit meter readings, a few days ago my son-in-law nominated me to be his "authorised account manager" and in the App > Menu > Account gave my name and email address. When I downloaded the App I immediately received a message saying (to the best of my memory) PP wished to send me messages and giving me the option to 'allow' or 'not allow' and I pressed the former. However when I attempted to login using MY email address I got "Email address not found". When I used HIS address I got a message saying an email had just been sent to him!

On Tuesday night I sent a message to Wattbot but so far have not heard anything. Does anyone know if there is anything more to be done either by me or my son-in-law so that I can login to the App?
Thanks Woz for your thoughts. If I am to 'manage' the account then surely I should be able to login under my own email address and not have to faff around getting my son-in-law to setup auto forwarding. If I get a copy of an email from PP requesting a meter reading then I should be able to login immediately. Although closing the app would not log me out, I imagine I would be logged out if ever a re-boot is required. I think your technical people need to look at this pretty quickly AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Peter
I don't work for PP but I do know that multiple account logins are on the roadmap.
For the moment you now have a workaround, and to be fair, logging out is rare and auto-forwarding or even one off, isn't a big deal since you both agree that you should have access, so for now I'd do that... I'm sure PP are going to address this but fixes aren't instant, so I think some patience is required here. @Marc the community manager will be reading this thread I'm sure.
However if I'm correct (and I'm not sure ) I'm far more concerned about the (unintentionally) misleading nature of the PSR section.

Peternosmas;23041:
Thanks Woz for your thoughts. If I am to 'manage' the account then surely I should be able to login under my own email address and not have to faff around getting my son-in-law to setup auto forwarding. If I get a copy of an email from PP requesting a meter reading then I should be able to login immediately. Although closing the app would not log me out, I imagine I would be logged out if ever a re-boot is required. I think your technical people need to look at this pretty quickly AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hello peter.
I think the best option here would be to ask via wattbot for the main email address on the acct to be changed to one you can access from the device you use to manage and run the app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi jon1
I (perhaps wrongly) assumed his son-in-law would also want to control the account, but if not then yes, that's a good solution, although the PSR text still needs a coat of looking at..
Jon1;23059:
Hello peter.
I think the best option here would be to ask via wattbot for the main email address on the acct to be changed to one you can access from the device you use to manage and run the app.
Hi @Peternosmas

Welcome to the community!
Thanks for posting and starting this great discussion.🆙
The PSR form's section about authorising another person to manage your account means we can contact them and discuss otherwise confidential info with them.
So in your case, you can chat to our Member services team about your son-in-law's energy account, energy usage, etc.
It doesn't mean you can login to the app using a different email address to send meter readings. Your feedback here is really useful - I'm sure we could make that clearer in the PSR form. So I've passed this on our tech team.

Our app doesn't currently support multiple users, although it's on our development roadmap.
For now, you can use your son-in-law's email address. He can forward you the login email as @woz has described.:)
Woz, Jon1 and Marc - thank you all for your ideas. I have now received from my son-in-law the login email and have been able to login to the account and view all the info. So, problem solved!
Hi Everyone

As stated.above I was able to login to PP using my son-in-law’s login email. Unfortunately I inadvertently logged out of PP and when I tried to re-login using his email I got a “server error” message which seems to imply that use of the login email is time limited. If so will my son-in-law be permitted to logout then get a new login email which he can pass to me?

Slightly different, I had to get a community login email to make this post. Am I automatically logged out when I close my browser and need a new login email each time I want to post?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Peternosmas
not sure if I've understood your post correctly
The login mail allows one login. If you log out you'll need a new login mail.
I suggest you attempt a login then your son-in-law will get a login mail, just ask him to forward the mail to whatever email account is accessible on your device. (or have I misunderstood*)
(*out of interest as it 's not necessary,what I'm less sure of and I haven't tried it yet, is what would happen if your SIL attempted a login on his device, and then sent you the email for you to login on your device? Perhaps someone knows if that would work?)

As far as the second question goes, once I'm logged in on either chrome or firefox I can close the browser certainly for days or longer (not sure what the persistence of the cookies is as I'm frequently in here) but if your browser is set not to store the cookies or your cookie cache is cleared when you exit (which is not most peoples default) you would have to re-login.
In other words no, you shouldn't be automatically logged out, but even so it isn't an issue if you use your own email address for the community, which I presume you do.
The only downside would be that it would no longer be linked to your SIL's PP account (in other words if you use the same email for the app and the community then PP can tie them together)
Peternosmas;24238:
Hi Everyone

As stated.above I was able to login to PP using my son-in-law’s login email. Unfortunately I inadvertently logged out of PP and when I tried to re-login using his email I got a “server error” message which seems to imply that use of the login email is time limited. If so will my son-in-law be permitted to logout then get a new login email which he can pass to me?

Slightly different, I had to get a community login email to make this post. Am I automatically logged out when I close my browser and need a new login email each time I want to post?
Hi Woz
Many thanks for your reply which confirms my thoughts as to how the PP system works. Re the Community I do use my own email address.

Regards
Peternosmas.
The PP account holder is my son-in-law and he has nominated me as his “authorised account manager” and has provided my email address. I was under the impression that this would ensure I received copies of all correspondence sent to him which I presume includes notification of when meter readings are required. So far I have NOT received any copies, in particular the request for February’s readings. This resulted in estimated readings being used for billing. I have now submitted the actual readings which fortunately were not too different to the estimates. However I would appreciate an explanation from someone as to why I have not received a copy of the request for readings, but hopefully will do so in future.
Hi @Peternosmas
I've moved your new post (dated 26 Feb) to this thread as the
answer is above.
We ask for meter readings the same date every month. Your app's homepage will change and you'll see the 'Send a meter reading' moon appear.
Hope this helps! :up:
In the App it states that duplicate correspondence will be sent to authorised contacts. I assume that includes the meter reading reminder email. I am the authorised contact for my son-in-law’s account (we share the home) but I have not received such an email. I am able to login to the account and the “send readings” balloon has appeared on the App. Anyone have any explanation please?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Peter
I've no idea how that works as I've never set up an authorised contact with PP, but the statement is perhaps open to interpretation as correspondence may refer to general correspondence rather than meter reading reminders.
I'm not saying that's the case, I don't know so @Marc Will have to answer this.
But can I make a suggestion? Why not just set up a forwarding rule such that all mails from purepla.net are forwarded to your email account?
Marc does the account software at your end support adding more than one email address for all emails?
Peternosmas;26282:
In the App it states that duplicate correspondence will be sent to authorised contacts. I assume that includes the meter reading reminder email. I am the authorised contact for my son-in-law’s account (we share the home) but I have not received such an email. I am able to login to the account and the “send readings” balloon has appeared on the App. Anyone have any explanation please?
Hi @Peternosmas
I've moved your new post (dated 21 March) to this thread as the answer, as before, is above.

Hi Marc

Many thanks for your reply and explanation. As you may have gathered I am quite new to PP and am still finding my way around. However I rather feel that PP have adopted a somewhat narrow definition of “account management” - I would suggest that “management” includes dealing with meter readings. In the circumstances I suppose the solution to my not getting a copy of the reminder email is to adopt Woz’s suggestion and get my son-in-law to setup an auto forwarding rule.
Hi @nscozz
Are you the same person as @Peternosmas 😕
Either way I'm glad the explanation is clear.
The suggestion from @woz aobut forwarding the email sounds spot on 🆙