Question

Poll 1 of 3 , for Dual Fuel energy users Electricity consumption only. Which of these is nearest to your consumption?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 9175 replies

This is a tough one to write a single poll for hence there will have to be 3 polls.

The first, this one, is for Dual Fuel users,   How much Electricity do you use per year?

The second poll, HERE will be for Dual Fuel users, how much GAS (kWh) do you use per year?
and the third poll HERE will be for Single Fuel users, how much electricity do you use per year?

Just choose whichever polls and answers are nearest to your situation.
...and feel free to comment!

It would be a lot easier if you could have multiple answers in the same poll!
(you used to be able to do that but no longer...:robot:  :sob::joy_cat: )

Dual Fuel energy users: Electricity consumption only. Which of these is nearest to your consumption?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Dual fuel

Electricity: last 12 months - 3,776.60 kWh no EV

Gas: last 12 months - 16,725.50 kWh - 4 bed, 1997 built detached house with double glazing, cavity insulation and loft insulation that could do with being topped up.

My double glazing was replaced in 2007 to current required specs, mainly a bigger vacuum between panes, but it had no affect on gas consumption.

Cavity insulation installed 2010, gas consumption dropped.

Honeywell Evohome installed in 2014 to control rooms individually, gas consumption dropped by it seems about 1,000 kWh

Merino wool cardigan bought 2019 but not needed - yet!

A good exercise to undertake. I am very suspicious of what officialdom says is the average usage.

I think I mentioned a very long time ago that I think a really good edition to the App would be to be able to compare usage with other members who have similar characteristics in terms of number of people in household and size of home. When I was with another supplier they allowed this comparison. @Marc, @Nataly as the customer base expands is this something PP could look at? Like you @G4RHL I have a 1997 built detached house with original double glazing, cavity wall insulation, nest thermostat and original loft insulation and have lower gas and electricity consumption. Could consumption compared to other customers be used to incentivise people to reduce their consumption?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @woz 

Do explain what you are hoping to discover! My suspicion is you fancied a new spreadsheet…

Stephen

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
As at 13/11/20

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I think I mentioned a very long time ago that I think a really good edition to the App would be to be able to compare usage with other members who have similar characteristics in terms of number of people in household and size of home. When I was with another supplier they allowed this comparison. @Marc@Nataly as the customer base expands is this something PP could look at? Like you @G4RHL I have a 1997 built detached house with original double glazing, cavity wall insulation, nest thermostat and original loft insulation and have lower gas and electricity consumption. Could consumption compared to other customers be used to incentivise people to reduce their consumption?

The information missing is of course location of property (I am in the NE) and number of occupants (in my case 2) and age of occupants. But the other factor is personal preferences. My wife feels the cold more. However, this is a good start to getting a more accurate picture of consumption plus perhaps we need to add size/type of house, location and number of occupants.

There will be some massive variances. A close friend of mine living in a similar size house but on his own has much bigger bills that we do. But likes his house at 23C! During the day I am happy with 19 if moving around but perhaps around 21 if static in the colder months. My wife prefers 22.5 if not 23 and still feels cold. You should feel her feet! No, perhaps you don’t want to.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @woz 

Do explain what you are hoping to discover! My suspicion is you fancied a new spreadsheet…

Stephen

I thought it would be interesting, and so far it is.

You should see my latest spreadsheet...it reads minds...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

One big sheet with columns for

House type - lots of sub columns!

3 / 4 bed detached, 3 / 4 bed semi,  2 / 3 / 4 bed terraced, 2 /3 bed bungalow

Gas usage

Electricity usage

Number of occupants

Average age of occupants.

It would be massive if you printed it but search parameters could give average  consumption for house types, locations, age groups etc.

Is not this something PP could do for its own benefit and it’s members? Indeed, Marc could do it for was he not going on some Excel course?!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@stephenrand @G4RHL @ChrisH @Strutt G and anyone else

the links to the other 2 polls in this original post didn’t work (sorry)

The second poll is HERE (dual fuel gas)

The third poll HERE (single fuel electric)

Please vote in those too as appropriate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Gas usage

Electricity usage

Number of occupants

It would be massive if you printed it but search parameters could give average  consumption for house types, locations, age groups etc.

Is not this something PP could do for its own benefit and it’s members? Indeed, Marc could do it for was he not going on some Excel course?!

The 3 polls were intended to be a quick and dirty snapshot, which will only have validity if lots of people vote. I agree a survey would be better, but that’s not what this is about. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Not quite on the subject but one bright spark wanting to sell me a new boiler talked of savings of £250 per annum because of the increased efficiency and I have read such statements in the media. Last year excluding VAT and Membership fees I paid £459.88, so on that basis am down to £200 p.a. Difficult to believe. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The 3 polls were intended to be a quick and dirty snapshot, which will only have validity if lots of people vote. I agree a survey would be better, but that’s not what this is about. 

Gas usage

Electricity usage

Number of occupants

Accepted but its a great idea and needs legs. Come on everybody, get voting!

This is a great series of polls @woz 

Nice one :relaxed::thumbsup:

Also, I’ve voted :relaxed: