Solved

Old energy supplier did not receive gas meter reading.

• 15 January 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

My old supplier told me they only received the electricity but not the final gas reading from Pure Planet, so they cannot issue the final bill and my quite conspicuous refund. They told me to ask PP to do this.

How do I proceed? I NEED them to refund me my credit balance, I thought PP was doing that, this is quite a letdown from their part I feel. I sent them readings and pictures, and thought the process was supposed to be smooth.

Any help?

Best, 

Andy

icon

Best answer by Gwyndy 15 January 2021, 17:21

Hi @afrapp32 

Switching is supposed to be reasonably smooth, however, it isn't 'wonderful.'

Without knowing more information, it's a bit hard to advise.

You could chase Pure Planet via WattBot for the readings, you would probably need to type 'Message the Team' for this.

However, I have to slightly disagree with what you have been told by your previous supplier.

The readings you supply when switching are sent to a third-party for verification, it's that third-party that calculate your readings and send the 'approved' readings to both your old supplier and Pure Planet - they aren't sent by Pure Planet to your old supplier. Presumably therefore, even if Pure Planet had not, as claimed, 'sent the readings' your old supplier should have received the 'calculated readings'?

Although Pure Planet ask for your readings, that's more to ensure they have evidence if there's any disagreement than anything else. There's a better description of the process here: 

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy

View original

9 replies

Hi @afrapp32 

You could chase Pure Planet via WattBot for the readings, you would probably need to type 'Message the Team' for this.

However, I have to slightly disagree with what you have been told by your previous supplier.

The readings you supply when switching are sent to a third-party for verification, it's that third-party that calculate your readings and send the 'approved' readings to both your old supplier and Pure Planet - they aren't sent by Pure Planet to your old supplier. Presumably therefore, even if Pure Planet had not, as claimed, 'sent the readings' your old supplier should have received the 'calculated readings'?

Although Pure Planet ask for your readings, that's more to ensure they have evidence if there's any disagreement than anything else. There's a better description of the process here: 

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy

Userlevel 1

Hi @afrapp32 

The readings you supply when switching are sent to a third-party for verification, it's that third-party that calculate your readings and send the 'approved' readings to both your old supplier and Pure Planet.

There's a better description of the process here: 

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy

Dear Gwyndy, 

thanks a lot for the reply.

I switched supplier from Scottish Power to PP, sent PP the readings with photos, Scottish Power just told me “We have lost your supply on 01 Jan 2021 and have received only the final electricity reading from your new supplier. Kindly provide us the gas final reading so that we can generate the final bills and update you the final balance.” Asked a Scottish Power agent, he told me to ask PP to send them the gas readings.

Given the information you gave me about how the switch actually works and how the readings are shared between suppliers, I find it quite frustratingly shameful how they pass the information/responsibility on me, isn’t it? Shouldn’t they know how the process works better than I do?

Anyways, I sent a message to PP via the “submit complaint” form, as I had no idea how else to contact them (this is the negative of not having an actual call-center or webchat service I guess, but I was aware of that when I joined).

Briefly: it’s probably just a matter of timings, if it really takes between 6 and 8 weeks for the readings to be sent to the old supplier, and considering my switch happened 2 weeks ago, it’s probably just a matter of waiting a bit longer.

Thank you so much for your help!
Best, 

Andy 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@afrapp32 

Gas and electricity readings are validated by different companies, so it’s normal for your previous supplier to get these at different times. Hope this helps

Userlevel 4

Message wattbott with your query. I must say I had a query and they were very fast to respond and resolve it. Good luck 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@afrapp32 and welcome

hi

sending via the complaint form is counterproductive, (timescales are longer and it isn’t a complaint)

as suggested go to help & support>ask a question (wattbot). bot replies are instant and may well help but if not persist until message sent to the team. Human replies in 2 working days.

I can’t understand how any guidance led you first to the complaints, there’s a lot of friendly help in here..

Wattbot isn’t webchat but is by far the preferred way to use customer service 

To the question, I’ll bet SP have your readings, ultimately the reading may not match the one you sent to PP (on the other hand it might) but that will make very little difference as you never pay for the same energy twice. What PP start with SP end with.

I don’t work for PP

Userlevel 1

sending via the complaint form is counterproductive, (timescales are longer and it isn’t a complaint.

I can’t understand how any guidance led you first to the complaints, there’s a lot of friendly help in here..

I understand. I do not know the inner workings of energy supplier bureaucracy. What I do know is that I really need Scottish Power to refund me my (quite large) credit, and they told me it is PP’s fault they did not send them the gas reading. The first thing I was led to believe was, as a customer with no knowledge of how energy supplier should deal with each other, “it’s PP’s fault”. I tried the chatbot but wasn’t getting anywhere, and below it there are other options, among which the complaint form was the only one that, to me, was said to be sent to a human being. I wrote them explaining the issue. I honestly do not think I am to blame, not 100% at least, I was misguided by Scottish Power. We cannot possibly expect everyone is on top of everything and every procedure here.

ultimately the reading may not match the one you sent to PP (on the other hand it might) but that will make very little difference as you never pay for the same energy twice. What PP start with SP end with.

I don’t know, SP literally told me they haven’t received the gas readings, and literally told me to tell PP to do it (well, they even told me to “kindly provide the reading”, as if it was me the one having to do it, and then an agent told me to tell PP to do it), otherwise they cannot send me my refund. I understand I might not have followed the right procedure, but please bear with me and understand my position. I will do better in the future.

Thank you for your help

Hey @afrapp32 and welcome to the Community :slight_smile: 

It defo sounds like a timings issue here - whenever you switch between any supplier in the UK it can take up to 6 weeks for your readings to be validated by a third party, and sent back to each supplier to use.

That also means it can take up to 6 weeks to receive your final bill (and refund) from your previous supplier. So I’d wait until mid Feb - if you haven’t received your final bill by then, you could get in touch and the team would look into your readings from there.

I hope that helps - and don’t worry, there’s lots to think about when switching energy supplier! 

Happy to see the Community could provide reassurance and info on the reading validation process so quickly, awesome stuff! Thank you :raised_hands:

Userlevel 1

Hi @Nataly , 

thank you very much for your reply. I know understand how this process works. I am surprised that those at the Scottish Power customer service don’t, apparently, as they are the ones telling me first to provide the gas readings and then to ask Pure Planet to send them instead. For what I understood, I don’t have the power to do so nor the responsibility.

To finish: yes, I find this community extremely helpful and friendly, it’s probably the best Community I’ve found in a commercial setting. Truly wonderful.

Have a lovely day, 

Andy

Userlevel 1

For the record, concerning my original post: before knowing how the switch process works, I did reply to Scottish Power's request for the gas reading by telling them the reading I sent to PP. 

They now replied they took that into account, updated my data and issued me the final bill.

Happy that at least this worked, but left confused nonetheless. I though those readings were supposed to be sent to them via an independent agency in an official way.

After having read the article about how all this works, I didn't expect that to actually work. All I had to do was email them a number? Sounds dodgy. Did they have the readings but wanted to double check then? I don't know...Anyways, all's well that ends well, goodbye SP. Never again.