Solved

Old electric meter out of sync slightly

• 5 February 2021
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi my old style electric meter seems to have the second dial still slightly in the 5 position when the whole reading has rolled over to where it should actually be 6. Will this sort itself out in a month or is there a potential fault? When I took the reading and entered it, it was lower than a few of my previous readings because the 5 should have been a 6 to tally up right. I changed the reading submitted to have a 6 but have heard nothing back for my question to the bot.

icon

Best answer by Seven-Sid 6 February 2021, 11:19

Ha ha Woz you are funny! :joy: This has been a really valuable lesson in changing my approach of being over strict about which number it’s on instead of using the number sequence across the dials to confirm what it should be to make sense. So if it occurs again I’ll tickle the number that’s hovering up or down - nd no that’s not running bent, it’s what they advise. I could never have worked that out myself. 

View original

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Seven-Sid 

Good to hear from you! I'm a bit surprised that the app accepted a reading that was lower than the previous one. Did you put message the team when you used Wattbot? If you did, then the promise is a reply within three working days. I'm also guessing that if you enter a couple of correct readings over the next couple of weeks, all will be well.

Stephen

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Seven-Sid 

is my understanding correct in that apart from a possible 0 in front of the reading the situation was you had 05999 and it should have rolled to 06000 but it’s now showing 05xxx ?

They do stick and it may be that as it rolls on the 5 may click over, if so no problem, if not you’ll need to have it replaced. Take photos is my advice.

Re no reply the bot has to say your message is passed to the team, and you should get a reply in 2 ish working days

Userlevel 3

I may have omitted to put message the team in the Watbot. It kept telling me that it couldn’t understand my question and a team member would contact me so I assumed it would automatically feed through to someone. But if we can work it out here that’s fine.

Woz - My readings in series recently were 65474,65611,65816 and what I actually read this time was 65034 as the 5 was still slightly shy of the 6. But that wouldn’t match my previous series at all. So I resubmitted my reading and put a 6. I checked the meter again today and the 5 is still in the same spot. I’ll keep checking it and hopefully it’ll catch up. But it’s old and, I’m guessing, a legal calibrated instrument that needs to be correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Seven-Sid , It is possible that when the third number, currently 0 rolls over to 1 it might take the 5 with it, which based on your current usage that will be in about 8 days time.

See what the team say via Wattbot and keep monitoring it.

Userlevel 3

Thanks Duppy! Will do. Glad to have broached the subject if it does need to be revisited.

Thanks everyone, great community and knowledge.

Dial meters are confusing at the best of times! Even worse if one dial is a bit of a laggard. Looking at it from a slightly different angle would mean a parallax effect might make it seem right again?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

They just seem sooooooooooo antiquated 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀

Userlevel 3

Here’s the photo I took on 1st Feb when I read the meter. I know it’s only a shade inside 5 but I couldn’t really call that 6 - until it simply had to be to make sense. No harm and it may never happen again but I’ll monitor it.

Userlevel 3

I think mine is at least 1984 when the house was built, probably older than that. Museum quality.

I think I once read some instructions that said to round up if the next dial is between 0 and 1. Probably a top tip in your case…

EDIT: Quick Google (Duck Duck Go actually, a bit like Dysoning the carpet) and I turned up these dial reading hints.

Userlevel 3

I think I once read some instructions that said to round up if the next dial is between 0 and 1. Probably a top tip in your case…

EDIT: Quick Google (Duck Duck Go actually, a bit like Dysoning the carpet) and I turned up these dial reading hints.

Hmm doesn’t seem to be applicable to mine. It says to record the number it has passed, definitely not passed 6. And if I were to record it as underlined the dial to the right is not between 9 & 0 but 0 & 1. Maybe it should have said increase by one if the dial is between 0 & 1 as that would make sense. 

Hence my suggestion. It’s awkward certainly.

Userlevel 3

Hence my suggestion. It’s awkward certainly.

Ah yes I see you said exactly that - and it works! Thanks for the tip. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Seven-Sid 

just to add, looking at that photo it would make no sense given the position of the second dial for it to be 65034, because the position of the dial on the 6 implies that the next number is either in the very high 5’s like 59xx or in the very low 6’s like 60xx, and since the 3rd dial is clearly a low number it must be the latter. The fact that the needle is not quite over the mark is a red herring or a blue cuttlefish…

I’m probably repeating what everyone else has said but in a more complicated way…

and while I’m here how do we know your name isn’t really Six-Sid?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

and this is what happens when your meter reading isn’t clear…

Userlevel 3

Ha ha Woz you are funny! :joy: This has been a really valuable lesson in changing my approach of being over strict about which number it’s on instead of using the number sequence across the dials to confirm what it should be to make sense. So if it occurs again I’ll tickle the number that’s hovering up or down - nd no that’s not running bent, it’s what they advise. I could never have worked that out myself. 

Userlevel 3

I had a lady come a year or so back looking at my meters and when I came out she suggested I get a smart meter and laughed at how she’d not seen old meters like mine on her route (probably part of the smart meter hard sell) Two questions;

1. Roughly what is the level of smart meter take up amongst members here? Just to see the general trend. (I’m sure it’s dealt with in a dedicated section)
  2. If I still choose to stay with my old meters will I be liable for their upkeep/replacement?

Some like smart meters. 
Some just happen to have one. 
Some (like me) prefer not to have one. 

Yea there are lots of discussions lurking.
You are not liable for meter upkeep. They will be replaced when necessary. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Seven-Sid 

To not quite answer you question, have a read of this, I don’t know how PP compares to the national average (31%) but I suspect that switchers are a little more savvy than those who are complacent, so maybe it’s higher?

The second question is you aren’t liable for the upkeep of your meters insofar as if they stop working it’s the responsibility of your energy provider and DNO to fix it, but the good news as far as I know there is no compulsion to have a smart meter, you should be able to insist on a standard (pre-smart digital) replacement if it needs to be replaced. 

If it aint broke….

Userlevel 3

Ah thanks both of you :relaxed: I take from your answers (and link) that I can still hold off from going smart for now (until they’re pretty much the norm and no horror stories). I was a bit concerned about being amongst a diminishing hold out statistic, but seems not yet. Also glad I can ask for replacement kind-for-kind meters in the event these do need it. But that’s just me future proofing rather than expecting imminent demise.

Cheers again founts of knowingness!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Seven-Sid You don’t have to go smart, it’s not compulsory although some providers are offering (very slight, but were bigger) incentives on their tariff prices on certain tariffs which are predicated upon you agreeing to have a smart meter fitted (they have targets but Ofgem have relaxed the targets as none of the suppliers had a cart in hells chance of meeting them). Sneaky as it’s in the small print….

Some people do the comparison and don’t notice they’ve signed up to have a SM...

Userlevel 3

Like with anything Woz I’ll hang back while there’s any doubt and let those that want SM’s take the initial risks and hiccups. Besides I’m not into smart stuff anyway while some want it in all aspects of their lives. Come the time I’ll go SM. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Like with anything Woz I’ll hang back while there’s any doubt and let those that want SM’s take the initial risks and hiccups. Besides I’m not into smart stuff anyway while some want it in all aspects of their lives. Come the time I’ll go SM. 

Never an early adopter be….

Wear sunscreen..

or

Add your own here...

Userlevel 3

Ha ha yep :wink: and thanks!

Welcome to the community @Seven-Sid 

Nice one for getting stuck in! Hope you’re having a good start to the week :slight_smile: