12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You need to ring the national line if you have no gas 

0800 111 999

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@neilcain 

Are you saying that your gas supply has failed, have you checked with your neighbours to see if the problem stems from elsewhere

Thanks for your replies,  The national gas helpline told me to ring my gas supplier, so no use! and my neighbours have gas, it turned out my meter had died, all sorted now

Hi @neilcain 

In theory at least, the site suggested search should have given you this:

I've lost power, what do I do? | Community (purepla.net)

However, I’m guessing that as with the two members who answered you, ‘no gas’ doesn’t give it enough information to narrow it down.

Does this mean that if the meter stops working because of say a power cut the gas stops coming through? If so I was not aware of that aspect.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@neilcain

hi Neil

I’m late with this 

Do you have a smart meter?

Was it in on PAYG?

There is an emergency option in the app or online, if the problem  (assuming the meter has cut you off) is caused by the meter disconnecting you, use that option.

It is very unlikely that gas has been disconnected before the meter,  for which you would use the check with your next door neighbour whether their gas is OK. If it is and yours isn’t use that emergency option.

Glad it’s sorted, what was the cause?

Hi @neilcain 

In theory at least, the site suggested search should have given you this:

I've lost power, what do I do? | Community (purepla.net)

However, I’m guessing that as with the two members who answered you, ‘no gas’ doesn’t give it enough information to narrow it down.

As far as I was concerned I had NO GAS, what should I write? I would have liked to have spoken to my supplier but in my frustration that’s what I wrote! Power would be Electric in my book not Gas

It turned out after about 2 hours of frustration that I managed to stumble across an emergency message  page and was then dealt with very promptly and professionally, an engineer came out that evening and replaced my meter

It was a smart meter, credit not PAYG and it seems it just stopped working, they have batteries I believe so nothing to do with power cuts and the display was still illuminated so very odd

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Glad you are all sorted now 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@neilcain 

Thank you neil, and there’s another nail in the coffin for smart meters, if your conventional meter failed you wouldn’t lose supply. Worrying...(I haven’t ruled out remote disconnection either).

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Does this mean that if the meter stops working because of say a power cut the gas stops coming through? If so I was not aware of that aspect.

@G4RHL 

No, the gas meter does not rely on an external electricity supply, it can however be disconnected remotely unlike older  dumb meters. 

Now that should have been obvious to me for there is no power supplied to the gas meter that I can see but it must have batteries. Wonder how long they last.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Now that should have been obvious to me for there is no power supplied to the gas meter that I can see but it must have batteries. Wonder how long they last.

It's estimated that the batteries last 10 years, but as we have seen from various posts, they are failing much sooner than that. It could also have something to do with how often you "wake up " the meter to take a reading