Solved

No choice when moved by Ofgem???

• 24 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Watching Joe Lycett on 4, concerning Shell Energy? Why has Ofgem moved me to a massive GreenWash Company?? Obviously Ofgem themselves couldn’t care less about the Planet by their actions and by not checking with me first, they assume that I support GreenWashing???

COP26 is looming!!!! What do others think?

icon

Best answer by Angelabikerbabe 25 October 2021, 08:47

View original

5 replies

You can move where you like once you’ve been Shelled. Although with the government’s genius handling of the situation, there won’t be much choice! 😖

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Nik 27 

I understand your concerns, but do you seriously expect Ofgem to ask every customer to see if it's ok to switch them to their supplier of last resort.

Any company taking over a failed suppliers customers will in the interim loose money as they cannot charge more than the capped rates, and at the moment the wholesale prices far surpass them. Many suppliers have stopped offering variable rates to new customers, but if you can find one you will be free to switch once your Shell account is set up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Watching Joe Lycett on 4, concerning Shell Energy? Why has Ofgem moved me to a massive GreenWash Company?? Obviously Ofgem themselves couldn’t care less about the Planet by their actions and by not checking with me first, they assume that I support GreenWashing???

COP26 is looming!!!! What do others think?

@Nik 27

Although I genuinely sympathise that your personal choice has been  temporarily removed (as has the choice for all consumers (who want a variable tariff)  with almost every  energy company, bust or not at the present time),  I have to ask is Joe Lycett an expert on energy companies?  If not what was his agenda? 

Greenwashing has spread faster than Covid, ever since ESG became a thing, and a fashionable thing at that, not just with energy companies but with financial institutions, supermarkets, heavy industry and comedians.

My worry isn’t being moved onto a variable capped tariff whoever the company is as it’s “temporary” (with one hand tied behind your back) it’s whether I’ll be able to afford to heat my house if I move to a fixed tariff with a company whose ethics I agree with or whether such companies will exist in the current price framework. You’re in this position because of incompetent government legislation but be careful what you wish for.

I think there are bigger things COP26 need to concentrate on.

Sorry if that’s not what you wanted to hear.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I think it's Ofgem's job to also be fair with the companies that are left. 

They have to share out the customers of companies that go under fairly.

It was just a lottery as to who we got, I think. 

Once the switch is complete,  we are free to switch to whoever we want, if we want to. 

@Nik 27 Ofgem moves us to the best of those who bid to take over the customers. They could have prevented many deaths a long time back but did nothing, although they were meant to, with respect to policing those wanting to supply and those already supplying. Had they done their job properly manybof the companies recently demised would have gone long ago. People blame the government, and yes they ultimately carry the can, but they depend on those doing the job to do it. They haven’t. Sadly that is often the case, not just with Ofgem.