Solved

moving house

• 14 October 2021
  • 6 replies

I’m moving house in few week and now pp are finishing I don’t av a clue wat I’m meant to do do I close this account wen I move how do I get gas an electric wen I first move in property Wst should I do

icon

Best answer by woz 14 October 2021, 21:40

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Your account will be moved the the ofgem chosen supplier and you will need to close your account with them. With regards to your new property, there will probably already be supply of electric and gas and you will need to create and account with whoever is supplying that property. 

hope that helps 

So I will av to be on my new houses supplier and will I still av to close account with PP IF THERE CLOSING ANYWAY

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m moving house in few week and now pp are finishing I don’t av a clue wat I’m meant to do do I close this account wen I move how do I get gas an electric wen I first move in property Wst should I do

@Cliff78 

hello

When you move out (or a day before - it matters not), take photos and notes of the meter readings.

You will then be able to provide those to whoever is your new supplier, once they have established your account. This could be a few weeks, but you could try and contact them in the meanwhile and explain that you have moved out.

My advice is calculate  your balance (roughly is fine) WHEN YOU MOVE OUT

You can work that out from the last statement you have before you’ve moved , (if you need help ask),  you would need to weigh up managing the money vs the hassle of cancelling the DD, while also bearing in mind that you will be paying 2 providers until this is sorted.

Hard to advise without some real numbers but I’m sure you get the gist. If the balance on moving out day was for example calculated that you owed them £50, then  probably best to let one more DD go out and then cancel,  however if you worked out that they might owe you £200, then it would make sense to cancel any future dd’s as any money in the pot would easily cover you until it was closed 

If it was close to zero and your monthly payment was low, you might think it worth leaving the DD in place. 

I know that sounds complicated, it all depends on the numbers and the timings as to the best course of action.

The new property is irrelevant in a sense as you’ll be stuck on a variable tariff with whoever the supplier is at the time you move in. If the situation with suppliers is as it is now, your best bet is to do nothing other than register with the supplier at the new property, and not try a switch (if you decide to switch) until things settle, and that could be a year away.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes you will still need to close this account because all supplies are moving to a new supplier so will need be closed with them (yet to be determined who) 

Hello @Cliff78 

Thanks for posting! Great advice from @Lapa and @woz - you’ll need to let the new supplier of PP’s Member base know about your move, this supplier should be announced in the next few days. Ofgem will announce this on their website - https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/

Your new home will have a supplier, who you will become a deemed customer of, once you’ve moved in you can let that supplier know you’ve moved in and create an account with them or switch to whoever you like. 

I hope this helps!

Just remember that initially, even if you do absolutely nothing, you'll have gas and electricity, even if the previous occupant cancelled their account.

(The exception being if they hadn't paid their bills to the extent that they were physically cut off, though I think that is very rare.)