Solved

Meter Readings

• 10 October 2019
  • 9 replies

Hello,

Can anyone tell me why, when I input accurate meter reading on the correct day of the month, my energy bills are calculated using a higher ESTIMATED" reading?

This results in a higher bill to pay and I may as well not take the trouble to submit readings in the first place. Also, it is galling that these over-payments are being demanded when I am two months usage in credit!

What I want is for PP to refund my credit balance £276 - and to use the readings I submit for bill calculation. Is that too much to ask?

Trustpilot review will be my next port of call.
icon

Best answer by Angelabikerbabe 10 October 2019, 12:10

Hi , it depends when you submit your readings.
For example, If you submit them 2 days before your payment date, PP will estimate the usage for the last 3 days, but use your readings for the rest of the month.
When PP request my readings , I don't send my readings until the last day possible. Eg. PP say they need them by 1st, I send mine 31st. And mine are not being estimated.
However, when you submit your next ones, previous ones will be adjusted.

​you should always be in credit by roughly 1 months DD at any time.
So if you're way over that in credit, you can ask PP to review and potentially refund the extra.
You need to send your message to the team directly via Wattbot.
if you go to the app and click on the 3 lines at the top right, then click on help, then ask Wattbot,
Then you need to type in 'message the team'
then you can send them your message. Might take a couple of days to get back to you, but they will.
View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi , it depends when you submit your readings.
For example, If you submit them 2 days before your payment date, PP will estimate the usage for the last 3 days, but use your readings for the rest of the month.
When PP request my readings , I don't send my readings until the last day possible. Eg. PP say they need them by 1st, I send mine 31st. And mine are not being estimated.
However, when you submit your next ones, previous ones will be adjusted.

​you should always be in credit by roughly 1 months DD at any time.
So if you're way over that in credit, you can ask PP to review and potentially refund the extra.
You need to send your message to the team directly via Wattbot.
if you go to the app and click on the 3 lines at the top right, then click on help, then ask Wattbot,
Then you need to type in 'message the team'
then you can send them your message. Might take a couple of days to get back to you, but they will.
Hi Simoon,

Before you commit to raising a "bad" Trustpilot grading for PP......can I suggest that you supply a little bit more detail so that Community Forum members can advise you on what you perceive to be wrong.

1. Do you supply your monthly meter readings on the exact date contained within the PP "meter reading reminder" email Angelabikerbabe any other date will result in an "estimated reading" being applied to your statement]

2. You need to clarify exactly what you mean when you state " Also, it is galling that these over-payments are being demanded"

3. PP will not request a payment from you that is not your already agreed DD payment......unless PP has carried out an account review. If PP has carried out a review of your account, then they would have to "agree" with you to a change of your DD.
So you would have been involved with an exchange of communication between PP and yourself. ??

4. I cannot rationalise between your "over-payments being demanded" and your comment that you are in credit by £276.

5. Is it possible that you have received an "offset" bill (also known as a consolidated bill) which covers more than 1 normal account billing period.

If you could supply/answer the points above.......then I'm sure that someone on the Community Forum would be only too happy to assist/advise you.

I am not employed by PP.....just a Community Forum member.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Simoon
it's difficult to know how to approach your question/comment as you seem to have misunderstood the way your account works, and to such a large degree I'm not convinced that any explanation I offer will satisfy you.I don't work for PP, I'm a customer like you.

Your estimated readings as said, will correct, if the real readings haven't made it to the account the balance will update when readings are given - in fact if you look at the account it may already have submitted readings followed by estimates (perfectly normal if you submit some days before the statement date as PP have to estimate your reading at the statement date unless you submit on the last day which is 3 days after you get the reminder) but unless they (the estimates) were hugely out, which I'm sure they aren't they will have no effect whatsoever on your direct debit. You pay the same amount every month, but your statement balance will be a little higher or lower and constantly corrects on the real readings it gets next time. It's calculated on your quote so it works out over a year (that's 6 cold months and 6 warm months payments)
Your balance will move around depending on how much energy you've used in the month.
Also you would expect to be in credit by about a months payment as it's paid at the start of the month, as the month goes on you use that credit up, so your quoted balance of £276 is really approximately that amount less a months payment.
It could equally be that when you get into the cold weather there won't be enough balance to pay for all the energy used.

If you want a part refund because in reality you're about £120 (my guess) in credit go to wattbot and ask for a refund/dd review. PP will get back to you. I'm not trying to provoke you into going to Trustpilot, if you've made up your mind to do that I'm sure you'll do it irrespective of my reply.
Sadly Trustpilot won't explain that you've misunderstood the way your account works.

Simoon;39712:
Hello,

Can anyone tell me why, when I input accurate meter reading on the correct day of the month, my energy bills are calculated using a higher ESTIMATED" reading?

This results in a higher bill to pay and I may as well not take the trouble to submit readings in the first place. Also, it is galling that these over-payments are being demanded when I am two months usage in credit!

What I want is for PP to refund my credit balance £276 - and to use the readings I submit for bill calculation. Is that too much to ask?

Trustpilot review will be my next port of call.
Is Pureplanet a competent company. I just joined and when rewuested, providedmeter readings and photos of those meter readings via the app. A few days later and another email ssying it is my last chance to submit meter readings else they will estimate them.Trust pilot will be receiving my input tomorrow. I may well ask to csncel Purplanet if they csuse more ptoblems than previous supplier.
Thank you for you comments even if they are somewhat condescending in nature; it may surprise you that that there are other people out here who grasp concepts once explained - quelle surprise!

So the crux of it is that an estimate is made and the balance corrected on the following month and the process repeated for each subsequent month. So far so good.
On the point of the refund of credit balances, my average bill for the last seven months has been £62 with a high of £80 so I find myself in credit balance of 4.4 months of historic usage with a direct debit of twice my historic average usage. This to me seems unreasonable and I have already asked for a refund and review of my DD to no avail but as you suggest, I shall repeat the process through Wattbot.

I have left two complimentary reviews on Trustpilot since opening my account to reflect good service received so I feel quite justified in posting negative reviews where poor service has been received. An yes (sigh), I understand that Trustpilot wont resolve any customer service issues.

But thanks you for taking the time to explain.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Killer;39796:
Is Pureplanet a competent company. I just joined and when rewuested, providedmeter readings and photos of those meter readings via the app. A few days later and another email ssying it is my last chance to submit meter readings else they will estimate them.Trust pilot will be receiving my input tomorrow. I may well ask to csncel Purplanet if they csuse more ptoblems than previous supplier.

I'd try sending the readings again.

Since you ask I've been a very satisfied customer for over a year, I've found the company very competent.
Stephenrand. The app didn't work. App confirmed readings accepted. How many times would I try again until it hopefully works again. PP have responded and now look in my into it. I see another PP agent responded to an app complaint and confirmed a s/w issue. I am hoping they conform that is why their app failed for for. then I'll provide new readings. I'd waited a few days with no response from PP. Funny how FB and Trustpilot got a response within minutes.
Hi @Killer
Interesting username :eek:
Sorry about the meter reading hassle. We get thousands of meter readings a day without any issues, but there was some kind of tech glitch which affected yours.
Thanks for sending those readings to our Member services team. They've added them manually to your account 🆙
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Upon re-reading I agree that my reply was marginally condescending (well the first couple of lines were), for that I apologise. I was aiming to be helpful and had not grasped exactly what the problem was because of the way your post was phrased.
Had the original post had more information I would not have posted that lengthy and if I may say superbly thought-out reply
Simoon;39798:
Thank you for you comments even if they are somewhat condescending in nature; it may surprise you that that there are other people out here who grasp concepts once explained - quelle surprise! So the crux of it is that an estimate is made and the balance corrected on the following month and the process repeated for each subsequent month. So far so good. On the point of the refund of credit balances, my average bill for the last seven months has been £62 with a high of £80 so I find myself in credit balance of 4.4 months of historic usage with a direct debit of twice my historic average usage. This to me seems unreasonable and I have already asked for a refund and review of my DD to no avail but as you suggest, I shall repeat the process through Wattbot. I have left two complimentary reviews on Trustpilot since opening my account to reflect good service received so I feel quite justified in posting negative reviews where poor service has been received. An yes (sigh), I understand that Trustpilot wont resolve any customer service issues. But thanks you for taking the time to explain.