Solved

meter reading keypad issue!.

Userlevel 2

Keypad will not allow the No 7 to print  when submitting  an Electric  reading,  yet the Gas reading  worked!.

icon

Best answer by woz 6 June 2021, 01:19

nope my theory is out, I was thinking @Swanman might be trying to enter for example the last digit of 5 when it would only accept 4, or the previous number had already transcended 7 so it was awfully clever and knew it couldn’t accept 7 as the first digit. (I too was grasping at straws for the first digit as the first digit can in theory go backwards upon meter roll around  as I found to my cost when I wrote my spreadsheet)

So 2 questions,

if you enter the 7 and submit it does it say it won’t accept because it doesn’t recognise the input, or does it submit OK? If it submits I’m going with a font issue where the top line of the 7 is too thin to see or is truncated as @25 quid suggests or,

If it doesn’t submit then:

If this is on a laptop or in the app? If laptop my thinking here is either a keyboard language/region*** setting setting or, if in app are all of your location settings correct on your device, and on that note what devices are you using, and if using app have you tried logging in on a browser or vice versa?

7/...hmmmm

*** on for example Spanish, Italian and German  keyboard layouts the forward slash is common to the number 7 

(@Bev thanks for the vote of confidence but sadly it was misplaced)

P.S. I had assumed print meant type

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi
You're talking to fellow PP customers on this forum, and as such we don't have access to customers accounts. But we will help if we can.

Dont really understand your question. 

Why do you want to print?

You don't need to print anything when submitting readings. 

I think a bit more detail is required here. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Keypad will not allow the No 7 to print  when submitting  an Electric  reading,  yet the Gas reading  worked!.

hi @Swanman 

if I understand you correctly you’re saying that when you enter the readings in the app you can use the “7” key when you enter the gas readings but it won’t accept 7 when you enter electricity readings?

I have a sneaky suspicion I know what’s going on here but it’s only a theory, is the 7 in the electricity reading the first or last digit?

Userlevel 2

Hi Woz

You got it bang on man, the 7 is the last number, when I enter the7 it shows a forward slash!!.

Swannie

Userlevel 2

Hi Woz

Just entered the electric reading and put an 8 as the last number, success , then tried all other  numbers 1 to 9 all worked except  No 7!,so my reading was 1 Kwh over, fortunately  it was the least valuable one,.

Swannie

Hmmm, this is odd @Swanman . @woz, what was your theory?

Userlevel 2

Hi

For print read Type.

Swannie

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi

For print read Type.

Swannie

Ah, that's why I was confused (doesn't take much) 

Glad you have got sorted (sort of) 👍

Hey Swannie @Swanman and welcome to the Community, thanks for posting.

That’s really strange - I haven’t heard of that happening before! Hopefully it was just a one-off glitch… at least, like you said, if it was the final number it’s only 1 kWh different. :slight_smile:

Let us know if it happens again next month... I don’t understand why it would let you put in another number, but not a 7! 

Userlevel 2

Hi to all that replied,  just out of curio I tried to enter Nb7 I in a different  place , no matter where I type 7 it comes up as a FORWARD SLASH!!, does anyone have a conspiracy  theory 🤔?

Swannie

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It looks like our Wozeeta knows what’s going on, Swannie, I am sure he will share! Intrigued! 

PS Did larf at “Just out of curio” 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍

Hi to all that replied,  just out of curio I tried to enter Nb7 I in a different  place , no matter where I type 7 it comes up as a FORWARD SLASH!!, does anyone have a conspiracy  theory 🤔?

Is the / actually a 7 but with the top missing? It would only need to be a single top row of pixels chopped.

You just might not notice it if the top of a 4 was missing for example… e.g 

clutching at straws

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

nope my theory is out, I was thinking @Swanman might be trying to enter for example the last digit of 5 when it would only accept 4, or the previous number had already transcended 7 so it was awfully clever and knew it couldn’t accept 7 as the first digit. (I too was grasping at straws for the first digit as the first digit can in theory go backwards upon meter roll around  as I found to my cost when I wrote my spreadsheet)

So 2 questions,

if you enter the 7 and submit it does it say it won’t accept because it doesn’t recognise the input, or does it submit OK? If it submits I’m going with a font issue where the top line of the 7 is too thin to see or is truncated as @25 quid suggests or,

If it doesn’t submit then:

If this is on a laptop or in the app? If laptop my thinking here is either a keyboard language/region*** setting setting or, if in app are all of your location settings correct on your device, and on that note what devices are you using, and if using app have you tried logging in on a browser or vice versa?

7/...hmmmm

*** on for example Spanish, Italian and German  keyboard layouts the forward slash is common to the number 7 

(@Bev thanks for the vote of confidence but sadly it was misplaced)

P.S. I had assumed print meant type

Userlevel 2

Hi Eggheads 

No headless 7s running  around,  quite New Samsung tablet full English version, no black pudding, yuk!, so 1-0 to the  FORWARD  SLASH, does he play with a  No / on his shirt!?.

Swannie

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Eggheads 

No headless 7s running  around,  quite New Samsung tablet full English version, no black pudding, yuk!, so 1-0 to the  FORWARD  SLASH, does he play with a  No / on his shirt!?.

Swannie

@Swanman

sorry a little too cryptic for me, I got the headless 7 but you lost me at black pudding?

(which I suppose is about the same as you lost me at hello). Is it solved for you?

ahh...twigged...Full English no black pudding...I’m slow…

disgusting (black pudding)