Solved

Meter read problems

Hi Everybody. I'm a newbie to Pure Planet and already wishing I hadn't switched - there's no way you can get them to call nor can you ring them. It's a ludicrous arrangement!

I'm a switcher from EON and have been asked to meter read but due to my meter type i can't do this. I have emailed them, told them via the app but nobody has come back to me. eON are telling me it's down to PP to come up with the reading within 42 days - would anybody know if this is correct?

Sorry to be such a gloomy opener!!
icon

Best answer by stephenrand 30 August 2019, 18:27

Hi surferrob

As this is your first post, welcome to the Pure Planet community! A few people seem to be surprised when they switch to Pure Planet and discover it's a digital-only communication company. Some of us really like it - we were never keen on ringing a call centre, holding on for ages and then talking to someone who quite often couldn't help.

To get an answer from a member of the team, open the app, go to the three little bars top right corner, select Help, then choose Wattbot and put 'message the team' in the question box - then explain the problem. They promise to get back to you within one or two working days.

I'm finding it difficult to understand exactly what your problem is - others may have some thoughts - it seems strange you can't read your meter, and how EON think Pure Planet will be able to.

If others can't come up with a suggestion, give us some more info here and we'll see what we can do.

Stephen
View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
SMUDGECAT;45586:
I have no digits on my Electric meter,I need someone to come out and read it, you might as well do the gas metre as the same time.
​​​​​​​

Hi Smudgecat
Welcome to the community
Do you have smart meters fitted, as the screen is blank until woken up by pressing a button, it can vary depending on the make, but usually A or 9.
​​​​​​​Post back if you need more help
I have no digits on my Electric meter,I need someone to come out and read it, you might as well do the gas metre as the same time.
​​​​​​​
Hey @Yvonne

I've flagged this with our team - Iain from the team is going to call you now👍
Hi,
was meant to get a call back today between 2-2.30, still waiting!! Any help?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I’ve been nothing but supportive, I realised you were having difficulty reading the meter and I tried to help.
The estimates I cannot comment on as I did not have the information.
I’m truly sorry if you feel that I’ve been antagonistic.
Good luck with your new supplier.
I don’t work for PP.
surferrob;39013:
Hi all.

im astounded by your lack of care over how I’ve been treated during my intro with PP.

EON (my previous supplier) informed me it is your responsibility to give them my exit readings so I’d like to enquire as to where you got those outrageously high estimates from.

i had already said I was having problems reading the meter but nobody here suggested the pressing of a digit several times. That aside, I had read that PP have an external phone and to expect a (Bath STD code of 01225)

I would simply like to issue a word a word of caution to anybody using a comparison link.

Think before you switch... sometimes the savings between individual companies are quite small but for service and peace of mind incase of problems make sure you have a call centre to use- I’ve lost count of how much time I’ve wasted on this forum and in the end had to go back to my old supplier to access the answer I needed.

i know I’ve not made any friends on here, but it’s odd how forum members sometimes try and further antagonise a situation.

Hi all.

im astounded by your lack of care over how I’ve been treated during my intro with PP.

EON (my previous supplier) informed me it is your responsibility to give them my exit readings so I’d like to enquire as to where you got those outrageously high estimates from.

i had already said I was having problems reading the meter but nobody here suggested the pressing of a digit several times. That aside, I had read that PP have an external phone and to expect a (Bath STD code of 01225)

I would simply like to issue a word a word of caution to anybody using a comparison link.

Think before you switch... sometimes the savings between individual companies are quite small but for service and peace of mind incase of problems make sure you have a call centre to use- I’ve lost count of how much time I’ve wasted on this forum and in the end had to go back to my old supplier to access the answer I needed.

i know I’ve not made any friends on here, but it’s odd how forum members sometimes try and further antagonise a situation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Rob
I read through all of the help and replies you had from the community and you were given sound advice for the questions you asked. There was also bespoke help from wattbot from staff available. I advised you on meter readings, I and others offered help.You were advised that PP don’t have a call centre and how to get help.
I’m relieved that you’ve now sorted it, clearly a digital supplier without a call centre isn’t for you but it does work for 10s of thousands of others. What is interesting is that you choose to blame Pure planet for the shortcomings you’ve apparently experienced, oh well ...the replies speak for themselves.

The fault dear Brutus is not in our stars...
surferrob;38993:
Hi. You may remember me asking how to get a call back...it never happened.
I eventually went back to my previous supplier who had issued an ESTIMATED FINAL reading - what is this all about!!?
It was a large amount and I thought something was wrong.
They said that estimated reading had come from PP.
I was put on hold and eventually the lady said are you having trouble reading the meter? She then guided me on how to do it.
Hoorah, we now have a reading and for anybody else who might be following this - the secret is to press the number 6 four times!

​I'm still not best pleased with pure planet and wish Martin Lewis money news had never pushed them as cheapest because there is very little in the way of any service when you need it.
Hello there,
Sorry to hear you having some grief!
One of the main reasons that Pure Planet is able to have such low unit prices is down to
the fact that PP has no call centres. This does not mean there is no customer support however.
If you open your PP app and under the help section you will find 'Ask Wattbot' from there you can type message the team and then explain your issue. Someone from the team will be with you within a couple of days. I hope this helps you rectify your situation and that you may consider switching back to clean, green Pure Planet energy! 🙂
Hi. You may remember me asking how to get a call back...it never happened.
I eventually went back to my previous supplier who had issued an ESTIMATED FINAL reading - what is this all about!!?
It was a large amount and I thought something was wrong.
They said that estimated reading had come from PP.
I was put on hold and eventually the lady said are you having trouble reading the meter? She then guided me on how to do it.
Hoorah, we now have a reading and for anybody else who might be following this - the secret is to press the number 6 four times!

​I'm still not best pleased with pure planet and wish Martin Lewis money news had never pushed them as cheapest because there is very little in the way of any service when you need it.
We might have made some progress today but only due to helpfulness of the EON call centre staff - they had sent a whooping estimated final meter reading - when asked they said they estimate had come from you guys!! I said, PP won't send anybody to read the meter, the lady then asked her techs and apparently you have to PRESS the number 6 four times for both meter reads so armed with that knowledge i've updated your records and EON will be able to send a final READ meter but as it's so different from the ESTIMATED bill I bet they or you wioll send somebody to check i've done it right!!

I still have to say i regret switching. You can't beat having a call centre even if they don't answer the phone for 10 mins you put your phone on speaker and carry on with other stuff.
PP have cut corners with the lack of a call centre but they have a BATH based 01225 number which they can choose to ring out on!!

All in all to possibly save £5 per month from previous supplier, it's all been way too time consuming and such a numbing process.
surferrob;36668:
Hi all.

i messaged a few days ago and had 3 replies to which I’m grateful. I’ve got a series of numbers now from pressing 9 on the meter- which is the reading to submit?

still can’t get a gas read out!

​thanks

Hi @surferrob
Welcome to the community and nice one for posting. 🆙
(BTW I've merged your posts together into one thread. This is so we don't have lots of duplicate chats in different places around the community, as this can get confusing!)
You've had some great replies from other community members. Including links to FAQs on how to read different types of meters.
Our Member services team have also replied to your emails.
Do none of these guides help?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi surferrob
Have you read the previous replies HERE

As you've now posted 4 times <-link I'm unclear if you've seen or read any of the replies?
As said they will eventually send a meter reader but your bills will be estimated. Not an ideal situation for PP or for you.

Why is the meter unreadable? Do you believe it's broken or is it that you're having difficulty knowing which screen to read?
Please can you post back with more detail?

The first payment is taken on the day you switch, it's in the welcome pack that PP do that so not sure what your point is in mentioning it, were you not expecting PP to take it?

If you have an impairment which is making it impossible for you to take readings then there is the Priority services register in the accounts section, please have a look at that and fill it in if it's appropriate to your circumstances.

Finally if you were to get a call from PP, they can't read your meter over the phone, you're only going to get the same help you've had from the community so far, but I'll flag your post because it's clear you just won't be happy until you actually get a phone call.

surferrob;36990:
hi
I've tried on numerous occasions to try and get a call back from Pure Planet with no avail.

I have switched from eON and there needs to be a meter read but nobody seems willing to help as the meter is unreadable.

Will pure planet eventually send a reader out to read it?

​They've taken their first debit from me!
hi
I've tried on numerous occasions to try and get a call back from Pure Planet with no avail.

I have switched from eON and there needs to be a meter read but nobody seems willing to help as the meter is unreadable.

Will pure planet eventually send a reader out to read it?

​They've taken their first debit from me!
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi surferrob

PP don't have call centres, and were they willing to call you, they are only going to offer you the same advice as you've already been given here. I'm not sure what they can do for you as they can't read your meter remotely.

Pure Planet will still supply you whether you can supply readings or not at the start, they will just estimate so it's in your interest for accurate bills to send an initial reading.
Also ongoing you'll need to be able to read your meter once a month and the community can and does want to help you with that.
Here is a link to meter reading information, but read on before you click it.

Without seeing your meters it's not easy to advise perfectly but lets see how we get on.

Let's start with the Electric meter

Are you on Economy 7 do you know? If you don't know then do you have a previous bill?
If the answer is yes you will need further instructions, we will come back to that if we need to.
If you're seeing different screens when you press the button you are looking for the screen that says tot.imp or total import or IMP. kWh, there will be a number. It could be 6 or 8 digits and may or may not have a dot followed by a digit 0023456.7 or 23456(.7) so in both cases 23456 would be your reading to send
Take a pen and paper with you and cycle through the screens taking time to look for those words, and the number on that screen is your reading as described.

The Gas meter
Your post is unclear as to how far you've got with it and not sure if you have a smart meter or not so I'll cover a couple of options
You're either looking for a screen which says meter index, and a 5 digit number possibly with a dot followed by a couple of numbers. You need the 5 digit number before the dot.
OR
Press 9 on the keypad.
VOLUME will appear on your smart meter screen.
You’ll see 6 digits (e.g. 02345.6) followed by an ‘m3’ symbol at the bottom right of the screen.
This figure is your latest reading – if you’re giving a reading to your energy provider, they only need the first 5 digits.
Are you able to post a photo of the gas meter? Do you have a neighbour or family member who might be able to show you what to do?
Post back with more info or photos of the smart meter if you are able?

If no call centres is going to be a deal breaker for you I'm sorry to say you've chosen a digital only energy provider, so perhaps PP isn't for you.
If you're still in the 14 day cooling off period you can cancel the switch, but if past that you need to be with PP for 10 days before you can switch away to someone else. There is no penalty for switching away.
Finally if you suffer an impairment and are unable for any reason to read the meter you should register on the priority services part of the app /online.

surferrob;36707:
It’s a very strange way for a business to work. Where are customer services- they can ring me from their 01225 number as they will need this meter reading to supply my elec and gas or I will cancel the contract with them. There are so many different figures when I press button 9 I’m not sure which is right so let’s see if pure planet can up their game and ring me before I cancel.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
surferrob;36707:
It’s a very strange way for a business to work. Where are customer services- they can ring me from their 01225 number as they will need this meter reading to supply my elec and gas or I will cancel the contract with them. There are so many different figures when I press button 9 I’m not sure which is right so let’s see if pure planet can up their game and ring me before I cancel.

Just a quick question - have you tried messaging the team to talk to Pure Planet as I suggested in response to your previous thread? If you haven't, it might be worth trying the communication method they offer? If you have, what happened?
Stephen
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi rob
(if you click on your name on the lhs you will see a dropdown showing view forum posts if you want to continue your previous post)

The electric meter should have the words tot. imp or total import, that is the number you want. kWh

What happens when you press the A button on the gas meter, does it have an A and B button? You're looking for the words Meter index followed by a number 12345.67 ignore numbers after the decimal point so you would submit 12345 (cu.m)
try holding the button in for a couple of secs?
​post back?

surferrob;36668:
Hi all.

i messaged a few days ago and had 3 replies to which I’m grateful. I’ve got a series of numbers now from pressing 9 on the meter- which is the reading to submit?

​thanks
Hi all.

​thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi surferrob and welcome
What wasn't mentioned is that whatever the reading used you won't pay for the same energy twice, so unless any estimate used is ....way way out man - sorry went into surfer mode there:rolleyes:, it won't make much difference
comprehensively covered by other replies, but to add, as a complete guess that is it that either you can't post a reading because the screen is blank? If so you need to wake up the meter by pressing a button, usually A or B or 9 or 6, you may have to hold button for a couple of secs.
Maybe you don't have access to the meter for example? (that too is fixable)

If it's something else, do tell? (unless personal apologies we're a curious bunch here!)

surferrob;36543:
Hi Everybody. I'm a newbie to Pure Planet and already wishing I hadn't switched - there's no way you can get them to call nor can you ring them. It's a ludicrous arrangement!

I'm a switcher from EON and have been asked to meter read but due to my meter type i can't do this. I have emailed them, told them via the app but nobody has come back to me. eON are telling me it's down to PP to come up with the reading within 42 days - would anybody know if this is correct?

Sorry to be such a gloomy opener!!
Userlevel 6
Hi there @surferrob and welcome!

It's true that Pure Planet do not have a call centre however they're usually pretty good at getting back to you via messaging on the app when they're needed - which should be rarely.
Plus, the community here will do their best to help where they can but they don't work for PP so are limited in what they can tell you.

I'm intrigued to know more about the meter you have and why you can't read it? I'm also concerned with E.On telling you PP need to get a reading within 42 days...nothing in my experience has this number attached to it. A customer is supposed to give a meter reading within +/- 5 days of your supply start date. If they don't then the meter reading company (known as the Data Collector) needs a deem (estimate) a reading by supply start date + 8 which will then be given to both suppliers as the Change of Supplier (COS) reading. If you've had fairly good read history with E.ON then there shouldn't be any reason this deemed reading is wildly out and it will work out eventually. If it is completely different to what you can see on the meter (taking your point about into account) then you can contact Pure or E.ON to dispute the deemed one and have it amended (if it's over a certain amount).

Hope this helps and do not be discouraged by Pure's digital ethos - a lot of people are very happy with them!
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi surferrob

As this is your first post, welcome to the Pure Planet community! A few people seem to be surprised when they switch to Pure Planet and discover it's a digital-only communication company. Some of us really like it - we were never keen on ringing a call centre, holding on for ages and then talking to someone who quite often couldn't help.

To get an answer from a member of the team, open the app, go to the three little bars top right corner, select Help, then choose Wattbot and put 'message the team' in the question box - then explain the problem. They promise to get back to you within one or two working days.

I'm finding it difficult to understand exactly what your problem is - others may have some thoughts - it seems strange you can't read your meter, and how EON think Pure Planet will be able to.

If others can't come up with a suggestion, give us some more info here and we'll see what we can do.

Stephen