Solved

meter dispute

• 23 March 2021
  • 7 replies

I had an issue with getting to my meter boxes. So my starting meter reading is incorrect. In addition my old supplier has my final bill incorrect. I have raised this with them, but they have advised I need to raise the dispute with you and then you will liaise with the precious supplier. How do I go about sorting this?

icon

Best answer by Angelabikerbabe 23 March 2021, 15:02

Hi.are you saying your opening reading with PP does not match the closing reading with your previous supplier?

If so, you can raise a reading dispute, you will need photos of your actual opening. meter readings .

If your saying they match,  but it's just that they were estimated,  then be assured that you're not charged twice for the energy.

If the estimations  are WAY out then you can raise a dispute, again you would need photos of your opening readings. 

However, the difference in cost will probably be not a lot ( depending on how far out they are wrong)

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi.are you saying your opening reading with PP does not match the closing reading with your previous supplier?

If so, you can raise a reading dispute, you will need photos of your actual opening. meter readings .

If your saying they match,  but it's just that they were estimated,  then be assured that you're not charged twice for the energy.

If the estimations  are WAY out then you can raise a dispute, again you would need photos of your opening readings. 

However, the difference in cost will probably be not a lot ( depending on how far out they are wrong)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I had an issue with getting to my meter boxes. So my starting meter reading is incorrect. In addition my old supplier has my final bill incorrect. I have raised this with them, but they have advised I need to raise the dispute with you and then you will liaise with the precious supplier. How do I go about sorting this?

@Kim E 

when logged in use help&support>ask a question (wattbot). Persist through instant bot replies until it says your message has been sent to the team, human replies in 2 - 3 working days.

You can’t dispute unless the estimation is more than 250kW or 108 cu m. from where it should be but what one supplier charges you for the other won’t. (so the difference is only  the difference in unit rates and it can work for or against you depending on which rates are higher.

Of course if you’ve moved into a property you can dispute whatever the difference is.

Just joined and sent picture of my gas reading They estimated as double the current total I sent in which is grossly inaccurate I now how to wait 12 weeks for a dispute to be opened with no statements for 12 weeks. I like to know what I am using would never have switched. Did not get cash back from martins money as someone messed up and I had to switch on pureplanet site  with a higher tariff. Just going backwards and forwards They said go back to comparison site but they do not have the switch on my account. Pureplanet promised a credit to my account  now saying go back again to switch site again. Also asking for a third meter reading. Don’t need this hassle through COVID and just had husband in hospital. Thought British Gas was bad but regretting changing after less than a week Not very good customer care. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

hi @Darcybodhi 

when you first switched via the comparison site did you complete the verification mail you got from Pure Planet? 

I’m not after assigning blame here just trying to understand how it went wrong for you.

If you did get the verification mail then it sounds like the issue is at the comparison site’s end because it should have registered that you switched. If you didn’t complete the Pure Planet verification then you won’t switch, it won’t complete and eventually after a while (I think it’s almost a month??anyone know?? it times out at the cheap energy mse site which I’m guessing is what happened to you. It would also time-out at the PP end.

I have no idea why they would want a 3rd reading unless maybe the first two aren’t tallying with what they think it should read, are you OK reading the meter?

Hi Yes I did but my e mail was an issue told me to go through their site and it would be honoured they then cancelled my original request (with old e mail address and new Had to do it all over again and deal was gone Exhausted keep going through same issues they then add another one I.e gas estimate that is totally extreme for our normal usage pattern. No confidence after only 1 week.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Darcybodhi 

PP use your email address (in part) to define who you are so if there was an anomaly between the mse end and what you used to join PP that will have caused a problem.

Your quote should have defined what your expected annual gas usage is, they probably need to check that they have the correct meter for your property and the readings look sensible. If the usage is coming back and it looks out of kilter for what’s expected you’d expect them to check it out. I’m not making excuses just explaining what may have happened. If they say they will honour the quote then they will, but don’t forget although you ultimately pay for what you use the quote is predicated on the annual estimation of your use. If you use a lot more or a lot less the DD will be adjusted. It’s in your interests to make sure it’s in the ballpark to start with.

Post back if you need help but it sounds as if it’s in progress..

Just joined and sent picture of my gas reading They estimated as double the current total I sent in which is grossly inaccurate I now how to wait 12 weeks for a dispute to be opened with no statements for 12 weeks. 

Hi @Darcybodhi 
If by ‘They estimated as double the current total I sent in’ you mean your ‘opening reading’ is incorrect, which is what the rest of the quoted section infers.
That ‘calculated’ opening reading is supplied by a third-party verifier:
The third-party verifier calculate using the historic reading allocated to your meter:
Who provided the allocated historic readings for the last 12 months? - it sounds to me like that was British Gas.

Whoever you left British Gas for would be undergoing the same ‘up to 12 week’ reading dispute procedure now, because that’s what providers have to do when you switch to ensure you aren’t charged for the same energy twice.

It will, in time, be sorted, unfortunately, there we now be some to-ing and fro-ing, between Pure Planet stating ‘These are the customer submitted readings’ and the third-party verifier stating, ‘Well these are our calculated ones, use them’ whilst they work out why the calculated readings are so far out.

You may end up with a number of ‘photos of meter’ requests while Pure Planet provide the verifiers with evidence that:
It’s your meter.
They are the correct readings.
Your meter’s working properly.

It’s a pain, but it needs to be sorted properly.

Kindest Regards
Gwyndy