Question

Managing Account - Third Party - URGENT

Hello, 

Could anyone tell me a situation regarding a family member who is older - I deal with all financial affairs. Currently in the process of getting power of attorney. Could anyone tell me if the third party authorisation / permission to deal with the account will be passed onto the new supplier, please? It is unlikely that my Grandmother will answer calls or emails to anyone “new” who claims to have taken over as she is aware of scams and she will not have funds to cover the amount that most companies will propose (over 2.5x the amount she is paying now I’ve heard of). 

If not, what would be the process? Will they make sure I can deal with all the new setup for her? No one has contacted me or her yet either despite me dealing with the account and this being on record. She's also on the Priority Register etc

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

So sorry to have to start a new thread. The last thing you need is bombarding with questions. 

Its worrying me tho, that the new provider may not be app based, may be even snail mail. If we run a second or third account for other properties, or vulnerable relatives, will the correspondence continue to come via email? 

Thanks in advance. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@QwertyKeyboard1 

If you registered as a contact on the account, all the details will be transferred to the new supplier, likewise the PSR.

No one has been contacted yet, it was only announced late this afternoon, and the new su6 hasn't been chosen yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’ll link my question in to yours, Qwerty,

Hello @QwertyKeyboard1 and @Bev 

I’ve merged your posts together as they’re pretty much about the same thing! Thank you both for posting!

It’s hard to say without knowing who the new supplier is going to be, however, we can reassure you both that any supplier who takes PP over will be in the best position to handle anyone's circumstance. I would say that most (if not all) the major suppliers will have some form of app, and even perhaps a better way of handling multiple properties. They’ll be sure to mostly have contact numbers to manage accounts too. 
Ultimately though, we'll have to wait and see who the new supplier is that's appointed and those sorts of questions can then be asked of them. 

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That helps immensely, thank you Mads 👍👍👍👍👍

As always, you’re very welcome @Bev :blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Bev 

I’d hazard some guesses here.

Most suppliers will allocate an account number to each account, and each account will be separate. 

If you’re running more than one account with PP you will already have dealt with the unique email issue. You then have options moving forward. For the purposes of future simplicity (avoiding any confusion) I would retain the separate email addresses.

HOWEVER, the systems vary. For example E.on I believe have a system which allows the adding of multiple accounts under one login, Octopus allow switching of accounts when logged in, although how you go about registering each isn’t clear even after searching. EDF will merge accounts manually (but given the historical mess they made of everything else would you chance it?)

This is not an uncommon problem, the worst case scenario is that you only use the app to log into your account and log in online to the others. I really don’t think it will be a problem whoever the supplier is.

My gut feeling is it’s better to let the supplier see each separately as you don’t want any linking to cause a screw up later on should anything untoward happen with one account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Perfect, I agree with all that our Wozeeta. Thanks for clarifying 👍👍👍👍

Hello @QwertyKeyboard1 and @Bev 

I’ve merged your posts together as they’re pretty much about the same thing! Thank you both for posting!

It’s hard to say without knowing who the new supplier is going to be, however, we can reassure you both that any supplier who takes PP over will be in the best position to handle anyone's circumstance. I would say that most (if not all) the major suppliers will have some form of app, and even perhaps a better way of handling multiple properties. They’ll be sure to mostly have contact numbers to manage accounts too. 
Ultimately though, we'll have to wait and see who the new supplier is that's appointed and those sorts of questions can then be asked of them. 

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply. I was more looking towards the clarification of if I will be added as being able to manage the account on the set go and if these details of a third party authorisation will be passed on.

Because this account holder is elderly and does not deal with her finances (the account being in her name), most companies have to go through Data Protection to add you to the account so you can manage and deal with this account on their behalf (for example talk about payments etc)

I’m not worried about who the new supplier is as I will just tell them this is what the customer can afford and will be paying X, but I wanted to make sure I shouldn’t need to go through any additional paperwork in order to administer the account as I live far away from the actual account holders address and wouldn’t be able to get there - I didn’t want people randomly contacting the account holder and stating that I did not have permission to deal with the account despite me having already gone through piles of paperwork before!

I’m not too fussed in regards to the digital work as the customer recently had a Smart2 meter installed so can be transferred and they don’t deal with the account. 

Additionally, I don’t suppose there is a way to force the smart meter to send a reading? The customer has mobility needs and cannot read her meter currently - can I get PP to force a meter reading today so I can have this in the event the bill messes up?

Many thanks :)

Hello @QwertyKeyboard1 

If you’re currently on the account as an authorised contact then this should transfer across to the new supplier, although as she’s the main account holder, I would guess she’ll be contacted too. Because we don’t know which supplier is taking over our Member base it’s hard to guess how contact will work, and it also won’t be in our control anymore. Sorry I can’t be more helpful!

We can’t force reads, but if they’re smart meters hopefully we’ll have a lot of recent reads anyway!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@QwertyKeyboard1

I too administer for an elderly person and  relative so I understand your concerns.

The worst case scenario if the company act like jobsworths is that you might have to send a letter confirming that you have permission to administer the account.

The best case scenario is if the permission passes over but I would add that since your email is probably the point of contact, you will probably be able to administer the account without the company even being aware that you are not the account holder as once you are able to log in on their behalf you effectively will  be that person…

OK I know it isn’t strictly how it should be but that’s the reality of out new digital world.

I’ve recently been able to do exactly that with a relatives account which was switched to Octopus, as far as Octopus are concerned the account and payments are all going to work, so they don’t care.

A voice gender changing device or a large clamp might be needed if I have to call….(that was a joke)

I wouldn’t worry too much about the meter reads, whatever figure is used at the migration will probably be near enough as to make little difference to the outcome.