Solved

Low original estimate but then..

• 23 January 2018
  • 4 replies

My original estimate and reason for joining pure planet estimated that for a 4bed house to heat would cost about £66 a month for the winter months. This is what I pay monthly but after giving my meter readings the true cost was £170 for 1 months usage! No different to EDF's charges. Also as I have an economy 7 meter the app won't accept my readings so I have to email them. Am quite disappointed..
icon

Best answer by Marc 24 January 2018, 11:02

Hi @MamaD welcome to the community
Here's a link to a very good existing thread about how energy spend is calculated.
No company - which includes Pure Planet of course - is legally allowed to see your energy spend until after you join. So to start with it is calculated using an industry standard provided by Ofgem - classed as low, medium or high. Which is why we at Pure Planet review it after the first month to make sure that the level is correct.
It may be that the industry 'sees' your home as 'low' but your first month's use was actually quite high.
Does that help explain it? It may also be of use to @Nigel too?
And on your second point about submitting readings from an economy 7 meter. This thread may be helpful. You can do this via the app
View original

4 replies

I sent the gas and electric readings when I moved into my new house . I live alone so am used to being a low user . When I got my bill I was shocked as they had almost doubled my monthly usage ! Even though I carefully sent correct readings . So far this company is very disappointing
Nigel;2663:
I sent the gas and electric readings when I moved into my new house . I live alone so am used to being a low user . When I got my bill I was shocked as they had almost doubled my monthly usage ! Even though I carefully sent correct readings . So far this company is very disappointing

Yes it's quite shocking. I am not sure what I'll do but don't want to end up in debt after 6months when they do my review. I am still paying off EDF for when I left them. Debts are piling up..very disheartening.
Hi @MamaD welcome to the community
Here's a link to a very good existing thread about how energy spend is calculated.
No company - which includes Pure Planet of course - is legally allowed to see your energy spend until after you join. So to start with it is calculated using an industry standard provided by Ofgem - classed as low, medium or high. Which is why we at Pure Planet review it after the first month to make sure that the level is correct.
It may be that the industry 'sees' your home as 'low' but your first month's use was actually quite high.
Does that help explain it? It may also be of use to @Nigel too?
And on your second point about submitting readings from an economy 7 meter. This thread may be helpful. You can do this via the app
Hi Nigel, thanks for your response, I guess it just seems very unrealistic to say that a 4bed in winter would only cost £66 a month to heat etc so feel duped. But also as I can't enter both my readings for dual dial meters am wondering if when I send my readings via email these are being totalised correctly as these bills are unbelievably high.Cheers