Question

Loose Earth Cable from Electricity Meter

• 11 January 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I have just switched to Pure Planet when I moved into our new house in Dec 2020. The transfer was confirmed approx 1 week ago. We have just lifted a carpet in the hallway to find a thick earthing cable running across the doorway which is connected to the electricity meter and runs into a wall and seems to connect to the outside gas meter thereafter. It is now a trip hazard and two of us in our house have already clipped it and we feel it is unsafe and needs to be looked at.

I have spoken to a private electrician and they have refused to deal with it as it is connected directly to the meter. I have spoken to another electrician (in the family) and they advised to speak to my actual electricity supplier. I called UK Power Network and their manager told me that the electricity supplier (i.e. in this case Pure Planet) are responsible for the cables coming out of the meter if it is inside the property. 

It sounds to me like they are just fobbing me off, but obviously I want to ask in the first place. I’m going to raise it with Ofgem if I can’t get any assistance because it can’t stay as it is and no one (currently) wants to help. Any advice would be appreciated.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@TonyDW I don’t work for PP

As far as I’m aware it’s an electricians job to ensure bonding is correct. Bear in mind that wherever it ends up at the other end (presumably near the consumer unit (or fuseboard if you like) you’ll need to find the least disruptive route back to the gas meter. (so be careful what you wish for)

I may be wrong but as far as the power company is concerned they don’t have responsibility once it’s inside your property. I may be wrong, but feel free to ask Ofgem.

Is it a new new house?

Is your floor solid? If so would it be feasible to channel it into the floor. If not then under the floorboards?

That said you should send your query via help & support>ask a question (wattbot), persist through bot replies until it says it’s been sent to the team. 

As far as I’m aware it’s an electricians job to ensure bonding is correct. Bear in mind that wherever it ends up at the other end (presumably near the consumer unit (or fuseboard if you like) you’ll need to find the least disruptive route back to the gas meter. (so be careful what you wish for)

I may be wrong but as far as the power company is concerned they don’t have responsibility once it’s inside your property. I may be wrong, but feel free to ask Ofgem.

Is it a new new house?

Is your floor solid? If so would it be feasible to channel it into the floor. If not then under the floorboards?

That said you should send your query via help & support>ask a question (wattbot), persist through bot replies until it says it’s been sent to the team. 

Thanks. It’s a solid concrete ground floor with parquet flooring bonded to it. You can appreciate I don’t want to damage that to channel it out of sight. I’m open to it being refitted with new cable that can be fed along skirting boards, over doors etc… so I can paint over it and keep it out of sight. 

Having two electricians tell me that they would not touch it tells me that it should either be the supplier or the network operator that looks at it. I’m conversant with the wording in their remit, but it’s not like I’m left with any choices at the moment so I’ve got no other choice but to ask Ofgem.

I’ve already submitted an official complaint to UK Power Network as it’s a prerequisite to asking for Ofgem assistance. I’ll be forced to do the same if PP can’t/won’t help. I suspect they won’t and don’t necessarily blame them. I’m just left with an unsafe situation that no one is willing to help with so I’ve got to ask a senior authority (i.e. Ofgem) to step in and help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Is it a new new house?

Thanks. It’s a solid concrete ground floor with parquet flooring bonded to it. You can appreciate I don’t want to damage that to channel it out of sight. I’m open to it being refitted with new cable that can be fed along skirting boards, over doors etc… so I can paint over it and keep it out of sight. 

Having two electricians tell me that they would not touch it tells me that it should either be the supplier or the network operator that looks at it. I’m conversant with the wording in their remit, but it’s not like I’m left with any choices at the moment so I’ve got no other choice but to ask Ofgem.

I’ve already submitted an official complaint to UK Power Network as it’s a prerequisite to asking for Ofgem assistance. I’ll be forced to do the same if PP can’t/won’t help. I suspect they won’t and don’t necessarily blame them. I’m just left with an unsafe situation that no one is willing to help with so I’ve got to ask a senior authority (i.e. Ofgem) to step in and help.

@TonyDW I’d wait for an official reply from PP first, use wattbot as advised.

Hey @TonyDW 

I checked this out with m’learned colleagues - they reckon the cable you’re referring to should run up to a main fuse and cut-out - from there it should split into meter tails. Electricity supplier’s responsibility starts from the meter tails entering the meter, up to the meter itself.

Anything after the meter (e.g. cables going to a fusebox, fusebox and wiring inside property) is the responsibility of an electrician.

I think it’s probably best to send some photos through to the Member Services team, in your WattBot chat, so they can take a better look :relaxed:  and in the meantime try contacting another electrician, too. 

You may also find this image (made by UK Power Networks, a DNO) helpful :thumbsup:. The bits in purple (5 and 7) would be for Pure Planet to sort. 

Hey @TonyDW 

I checked this out with m’learned colleagues - they reckon the cable you’re referring to should run up to a main fuse and cut-out - from there it should split into meter tails. Electricity supplier’s responsibility starts from the meter tails entering the meter, up to the meter itself.

Anything after the meter (e.g. cables going to a fusebox, fusebox and wiring inside property) is the responsibility of an electrician.

I think it’s probably best to send some photos through to the Member Services team, in your WattBot chat, so they can take a better look :relaxed:  and in the meantime try contacting another electrician, too. 

You may also find this image (made by UK Power Networks, a DNO) helpful :thumbsup:. The bits in purple (5 and 7) would be for Pure Planet to sort. 

Hi Nataly, this is very helpful thanks. The key thing to understand is that the two electriciams I've spoken to have both refused to touch it because it's directly connected to the meter. A subsequent discussion on a Facebook page (frequented by other electricians) yielded similar advice with the vast majority predicting that the electrical supplier and network supplier would both avoid responsibility.

Most people advised to go through Ofgem as it was the only way to force some kind of action. 

I think it’s probably best to send some photos through to the Member Services team, in your WattBot chat, so they can take a better look :relaxed:  

Hi @TonyDW 

It does sound like an odd setup, so I absolutely recommend following the above ^ advice - with a few images of the situation our Member Services team can assess what’s going on and advise the next steps from there :thumbsup: 

To get in touch with them, select ‘get help and support’ > ‘ask a question’ in your account.