Solved

Isolator switch fitting

• 21 October 2020
  • 6 replies

Is anyone else having the same problem that I am having in attempting to get a simple thing like an isolator switch fitted ?  I cannot believe the time it has taken - currently 7 weeks, during which time I’ve paid for the service but still not received any contact from the subcontractor.  WattBot just reassures me that I’ll hear from them when they have availability !

icon

Best answer by Marc 22 October 2020, 10:55

Hi @Midd 

Welcome to the community! Thanks for posting.

I’ve flagged this with our Member services team. They’ve been chatting with you via WattBot for a few weeks. Looks like this delay is due to the backlog of work our metering partners Magnum Utlities are facing at the moment. Many months of appointments had to be postponed in the Covid-19 national lockdown.

I’ve flagged this with the team and see if they can give Magnum a nudge :thumbsup:

View original

6 replies

Hi @Midd 

Welcome to the community, presuming the subcontractors are Magnum Utilities, I know it has been mentioned a few times that they've had delays with meter fittings due to CoVid, and were back, but playing ‘catch-up’ in September  - it  would likely also delay other jobs such as yours.

When you say ‘WattBot just reassures me...’ did WattBot put you through to ‘The Team’ to escalate your query?

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy 

Me too, I have paid the fee they asked for some weeks ago now and have heard nothing at all from Magnum

Hi @Midd 

Welcome to the community! Thanks for posting.

I’ve flagged this with our Member services team. They’ve been chatting with you via WattBot for a few weeks. Looks like this delay is due to the backlog of work our metering partners Magnum Utlities are facing at the moment. Many months of appointments had to be postponed in the Covid-19 national lockdown.

I’ve flagged this with the team and see if they can give Magnum a nudge :thumbsup:

Thanks - got an appointment sorted this morning !  Whilst I accept that COVID may have been an issue, I am sceptical about it being the case now - my mother-in-law has just has a smart meter fitted (not by PP) in just over 3 weeks from request. This isolator will have taken 10 weeks.

I think the frustration is that the Member services team (no complaints with them by-the-way) do not have the info to be able to indicate timescales,  so can’t keep Customers updated and possibly PP being too reliant on a sub-contractor that is clearly overbooked.  Only recent houses have isolators fitted as standard and if you introduce an EV tariff then this will become a far, far bigger issue as an isolator is a requirement before being able to fit an EV charger - hence why I’m having fitted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Midd I agree with you, I think this is down to the contract PP have with Magnum. I deliberately now don’t answer questions such as when can  have a SM fitted because the answer inevitably is no idea when they’ll get round to you. It must be frustrating for PP. It needs sorting organically if PP want to keep customer expectations in line with what they’d like them to be. I believe if I went to one of the big 6 (ignoring imminent lockdown) I wouldn’t get the same answer. There must be a better middle-ground to be had.

I don’t think the *expectation of a 2 or 3 week turnaround and definite date is unreasonable even in current circumstances (that’s expectation not necessarily reality  because as we all know **** happens)

By the way I believe you could have had an independent spark fit the switch (along with the DNO pulling the fuse :wink: ) but you’d paid.

Gwyndy - Yes, you are correct that it was the member services team who have been helping. We’re getting there - appointment booked for 10th November.

Think it would be useful if they had the information to advise typical wait-time when you book though - at least then you are aware of the problem.

Marc - good luck with Magnum - you can see that it is likely to be well into November from the date I got.