Solved

I moved supplier just before Pure Planet went bust, and they owe me money

• 25 November 2021
  • 12 replies

I switched to Octopus a few weeks or so before Pure Planet went bust, and annoyingly they still took the direct debit payment anyway (despite me being in credit). So now I'm owed well over £100. I guess the chances of me getting my money back are slim at this point. 

Bunch of crooks is the phrase that springs to mind. 

icon

Best answer by Duppy 26 November 2021, 07:03

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Moroboshi 

Hello @Moroboshi 

Thanks for posting! Spot on advice from @Duppy here - your credit is protected and will be refunded to you by Shell, it’ll just take longer due to the current circumstances.

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I switched to Octopus a few weeks or so before Pure Planet went bust, and annoyingly they still took the direct debit payment anyway (despite me being in credit). So now I'm owed well over £100. I guess the chances of me getting my money back are slim at this point. 

That’s not the phrase phrase that sprang/sprung/springed (I must improve my English, it’s not my native language) to my mind, but community guidelines preclude writing it.

That’s not the phrase phrase that sprang/sprung/springed (I must improve my English, it’s not my native language) to my mind, but community guidelines preclude writing it.

Charming. The next time you want to insult a random stranger, don't. 

Understood?

Hi @Moroboshi 

I hope that @Duppy and @Mads’ replies were able to provide you with some reassurance that your credit is protected, and will be refunded to you by Shell? 

We don’t want to hold on to anyone’s excess credit. We have a page full of FAQs about Pure Planet’s ceasing to trade, that may help too? 

Let’s all remember our Community guidelines to stay friendly and be kind - especially during what are difficult times for many of us. 

Understood?

You came here and insulted the ‘random strangers’ known as the Pure Planet employees, and you appear to have had no qualms about calling them a ‘bunch of crooks’ without any prior research. Then you complain that someone insulted you.

Most of the information around Pure Planet ceasing to trade is available on the homepage of this forum.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Understood?

@Moroboshi Sorry I sent that in error, I modified the post but it was too late.

That said you shouldn’t go around accusing people of being crooks, if you have an issue with the way SOLR is structured then it’s Ofgem who are the bunch of crooks not Pure Planet or any of the other energy companies who are refunding in the same way as PP.

Sorry I sent that in error, I modified the post but it was too late.

Already edited, @woz :thumbsup:

Understood?

You came here and insulted the ‘random strangers’ known as the Pure Planet employees, and you appear to have had no qualms about calling them a ‘bunch of crooks’ without any prior research. Then you complain that someone insulted you.

Most of the information around Pure Planet ceasing to trade is available on the homepage of this forum.

Oh give it a rest. They have my money sand I see no sign of it coming back. Maybe Shell, an utterly filthy company I want nothing to do with with refund me. I doubt it, but let's see. How long will it take? Another month? Six? Twelve? Never?

Whatever the outcome continuing to charge ex-customers for nothing is theft. It's utterly indefensible and wrong. 

Hi @Moroboshi 

We can reassure you that, under Ofgem’s SoLR process, your credit balance is protected and, once accounts are transferred in January 2022, you’ll be able to request your refund of credit. 

I hope this information from Ofgem’s own website helps, too: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/news-and-views/blog/how-youre-protected-when-energy-firms-collapse

We’re following the standard industry SoLR process.

Other Members on this forum are customers like you, who are in the same position. We understand it’s difficult, especially at this time of year, and so hope that the information provided can be of help and reassurance to you.

Well, when I moved from Solarplicity to Pure Planet, and Solarplicity subsequently went under, my timescale from leaving to refund was:

Switched 26th April 2019
Solarplicity went under 13th August 2019
EDF appointed 17th August 2019
Refund from EDF 4th November 2019

So, I’m speaking from the personal experience of being with a company who went under, not weeks, but months, after I left them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Moroboshi 

Whilst I agree that in your circumstances having to wait such a long time for your refund is complete pants (and I genuinely sympathise) there is another side to this that you might like to consider. When you switch even if the company you’ve moved from hasn’t gone under, because switching readings have to be verified  you can wait up to 6 weeks (that is legislation) to be sent a final bill, during which time payments will continue to be taken and subsequently refunded. This legislation is in part to protect the companies but it also offers the consumer protection albeit with some inconvenience.

When PP went under they were then bound by the SOLR rules, which means that any balances which include refunds in process have to be dealt with by the incoming supplier, this offers the most protection and convenience to the majority of customers most of whom are not in your situation but there are still lots who are.

I suggest that you contact Shell and see if they  can expedite your refund, it’s worth a try and you have nothing to lose. Bear in mind that you’re in the same situation as thousands of others so it’s hardly a surprise that there will be delay. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted quickly.