I cannot believe there isn't an outcry about Shell

• 22 December 2021
  • 33 replies

I am stunned how relaxed everyone seems to be that we are being forced to move to a company that has an awful record when it comes to the environment and human rights.

Shell now have all my details, including direct debit details. I implore everyone to switch as soon as possible and not fall for Shells greenwashing. 

While you’re at it, email ofgem and tell them how pleased you are to have to deal with such an awful company.

feedback@ofgem.gov.uk

33 replies

Yeah, I don’t think it was anyone’s first choice @photonbucket

Have you a favourite recommended alternate supplier? 

Badge +5

@photonbucket but the other suppliers are no better.

What exactly do people expect OFGEM to do?
Hold discussions for Supplier of Last Resort like this?

OFGEM: Would you be interested in rescuing Pure Planet’s customers?

Shell: Yes we would

OFGEM: Only two things:

1: Once you’ve received all the customer accounts from Pure Planet, you will have to pass the ones that don’t like being passed on to Shell to another, as yet unidentified, supplier (one which hopefully those who aren’t happy with Shell will approve of).

2: We don’t know which customers are happy to be moved to you, and which ones aren’t, therefore the number of customers you eventually get could be completely different to what you agreed to, even though you’ve done all the work moving all of them.

The entire ‘why isn’t there an outcry about Shell?’ argument  repeated ad nauseum rests on a detail we are not privy to:

Whether anyone you consider ‘better’ was willing to take us on.

Seriously, grow up people, be thankful we’re being passed to someone and our balances are safe.
You are free to move after the transfer to Shell has taken place, if you don’t like Shell, vote with your wallet, and move to someone else in January.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

There isn't an outcry because we don't really have any choice in the process.

When an energy company goes bust, Ofgems first priority is to ensure that the energy will still be supplied and any credits are safe.

To enable them to do so  they start a bidding process to find a company willing to take on the failed companies customers and transfer their accounts and credits.

Whether or not the company chosen is one which the customer itself would choose is secondary, and the option to switch away ( if you can find an acceptable quote ) is always available to you

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Might be of interest…

https://www.energylivenews.com/2021/12/22/every-crisis-never-let-a-good-crisis-go-to-waste/

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I am stunned how relaxed everyone seems to be that we are being forced to move to a company that has an awful record when it comes to the environment and human rights.

Shell now have all my details, including direct debit details. I implore everyone to switch as soon as possible and not fall for Shells greenwashing. 

While you’re at it, email ofgem and tell them how pleased you are to have to deal with such an awful company.

feedback@ofgem.gov.uk

@photonbucket 

I was going to let this one go but I’m feeling grumpy and since grumpy isn’t responding…

I’m equally stunned at your assumption that everyone is indifferent to what’s happened and the lack of context in your post. It might work on facebook conspiracy groups but I don’t think it will work on here.

Badge +5

@woz You probably need rough hands to feel grumpy. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Unfortunately Grumpy was charged lots for deliberately claiming he was carrying a bucketful of photons when he tripped up and the truth emerged...

Sometimes I don’t know why I bother...

I mostly don’t know your brother...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I mostly don’t know your brother...

I managed to decode that. I’ve been insulted by experts and that didn’t work...

I prefer an amateurish insult myself...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@25 quid 

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

@25 quid

Jack's Test Form - East Lindsey District Council (e-lindsey.gov.uk)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@25 quid

Jack's Test Form - East Lindsey District Council (e-lindsey.gov.uk)

LOL well it certainly beats Lorem Ipsum

What on earth is that doing on a government website!? 😳

Who is Jack?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@25 quid 

It’s the employee’s version of Lorem Ipsum until his boss finds out….

Mind you the fact that he made it publicly accessible is a shot in the arm for government transparency, I just hope he hasn’t signed the OSA.

Badge +5

The relevance of hamsters and elderberries escapes me, but as @25 quid says, what’s that stuff doing on a government site. Mind you it took ages and ages to load in. Perhaps there is a download brake on it to put people off. Lorem Ipsum reminds me that in recent news the Supreme Court is moving to the Calibri font from Times Roman. I a,lways understood Aerial 12 was the one to use as being better for the partially sighted to read as once advised by my son who is registered blind. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@G4RHL

The relevance of hamsters and elderberries is that it was a comedy line in a Monty Python (and the Holy Grail)  film and was written in part to take the mickey out of the French, and more subtly the English class system although the reference to elderberries was probably lost on most (it was certainly lost on me). I posted a link above (LOL well it certainly beats Lorem Ipsum)  to help but you probably missed it. 

Arial (spelt Arial by the way) is fairly modern (1982) and Calibri (developed 2002 in common use from 2007) was the “default” font used by Microsoft who ironically recently dumped it in favour of a choice of 5 new contenders. Personally I’d go with Tenorite but Calibri is fine too.

As ever beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Sarcastic disclaimer: This post may or may not be relevant to this thread depending on how your brain works

Badge +5

I always get my wires crossed with aerial and arial!

The Michael taking of hamsters and elderberries remains lost on me. I did look at the link but that did not enlighten me.

I’m certainly not happy about being moved to an oil company. Will likely switch asap. 

Badge +5

@Mnd999 …but aren’t they all oil companies? Your actual supplier may not be an oil company, not even a gas or electric company, but the chances are high it obtains it’s supply from an oil company. There are not many gas producers. Pure Planet obtained its supplies from an oil company and was controlled by one. Without the oil companies obtaining the gas it would be much more expensive. As would many other things in your everyday life. We have to live with the issue until such time that there are sufficient alternative sources of energy. It is no good cutting off a needed supply before the replacement is on line, yet it seems some today think that way.

I always get my wires crossed with aerial and arial!

The Michael taking of hamsters and elderberries remains lost on me. I did look at the link but that did not enlighten me.

Hamsters breed a lot (particularly domestic ones who breed year round, not spring/summer)

Elderberry wine used to be a fairly cheap and easy way to procure alcohol.

I feel Terry Jones probably had something to do with the latter fact being in, he liked to use historical 'Easter eggs', in Python sketches 'Knights who say Ni' being the most obvious I guess.

Hopefully you can get to get the inference from those two statements.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

ahhh thanks @Gwyndy  I had the elderberries reference but not the hamsters. (We had one that escaped and ate our carpet, does that count?)

How are the lovely pussies doing? 

What springs to mind here is if you have to explain yourself afterwards it’s either funnier than the original or futile. I’ll leave G4 to decide but I think I can guess which...

Badge +5

@woz Is it not the case that explaining a joke or funny reference afterward rarely works to make it funny as originally intended? Nonetheless it helps to know why what is said is meant to be funny.  Enlightenment. 

Some of my best jokes come to life under minute examination and develop otherwise expected humour… Mostly with arm waving for additional clarity.