How to submit meter readings in the app

• Community Manager
  • 6128 replies
Having trouble submitting meter readings in the app?

Make sure you have the latest version of the app. To be certain you should uninstall it and reinstall it from the App Store or Google Play

Then follow these simple steps:

1. Open your Pure Planet app.

2. When it's time for your reading, you'll see a 'Send a meter reading' moon right on your homepage.

3. If you want to send us a meter reading at other times, go to Menu > Send a meter reading

4. All you need to do now is type the number(s) on your meter and press 'Next'.

If you have any questions check the guide just below the meter submission box(es).

5. You'll get a chance to review the numbers before you finally submit. It's always handy to check.

6. You'll then see a confirmation that we have received them, with a big green tick

Finally, it's worth remembering that you can only send meter readings once every 24 hours. If you try to re-send them sooner, the ‘send’ button will be greyed out and we’ll let you know that we don’t need another reading just yet!

Please send us regular meter readings once a month. It helps to keep your energy use and payments on track.

110 replies

Hi Woz, I think you are right! I will do the 6 hour test, thank you 😊👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi jayney
I've just had a look at your readings.
I don't think for a moment that your meter is faulty, I think you've simply misread one reading.
December's reading should be 87058 not 87858.
(AND if you ask for a meter test and it's not faulty you'll have to pay)
Your meter is obviously going in the right direction or 11th jan would be less than 1st.
The kettle test isn't needed (but if you do, mine's a tea), just take a reading and take another about 6 hours later. You use about 10 units a day so in 6 hours it should increment by at least 1 unit, maybe 2 units.
Panic over...
(you are reading the meter not the In-Home-Display? just asking...)
Jayney;21194:
Thanks Marc. It’s the fact that the meter has appeared to go backwards. 87858 on 24th Dec, then 87143 on 1st January. Surely this can’t be right?
1588. 24th dec

- - - Updated - - -

1589 January 1st
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Jayney;21194:
Thanks Marc. It’s the fact that the meter has appeared to go backwards. 87858 on 24th Dec, then 87143 on 1st January. Surely this can’t be right?

Hmmmmm this does indeed seem weird. Any chance you could post the 24th dec picture.
Jayney;21157:
Hi Mark, my electricity meter has gone wrong. 24 Sept = 85997, 24 Oct = 86309, 23Nov = 86676, 24 Dec = 87858, 1 Jan = 87143, 11 Jan = 87293. I have photographic evidence of each reading. We need someone to come and check the meter please. Thank you

Hi @Jayney
Welcome to the community! Thanks for posting.
As @stephenrand said, the readings look OK.
What's concerning you?

Also, have you done a kettle test?
Make sure everything is switched off. Read your meter. And then boil your kettle.
After boiling, read the meter again.
Most kettles use about 0.04 to 0.05kwh per boil.

🆙
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Jayney;21157:
Hi Mark, my electricity meter has gone wrong. 24 Sept = 85997, 24 Oct = 86309, 23Nov = 86676, 24 Dec = 87858, 1 Jan = 87143, 11 Jan = 87293. I have photographic evidence of each reading. We need someone to come and check the meter please. Thank you

Hi Jayney, welcome to the community!

I'm sure Marc will see this tomorrow and get back to you. Meantime my mental arithmetic suggests that it's only the 24 December reading that's odd, so perhaps you don't have too much to worry about? It's certainly strange though...

Best wishes, Stephen
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Dave
The app only works on smartphone or tablet (ios9 android5 I think) There is no laptop or desktop version.

You have a few options

1. Best option, don't worry about missing sending in your readings, the statement will catch up once you're able to send readings so that gives you quite a while to get a new device sorted out. Readings only needed once a month when you get the reminder, but no big deal if you miss one. Your Direct debit won't be affected by missing sending a reading, the statement will be estimated until PP receive a reading.

2. Ask a trusted friend or family member to install the app on their phone or tablet, you'll need to forward them the login email to login once (no need to log out). You can remove the app once you sort your own device.

3. Fix your ipad (that was tongue-in-cheek) - what's wrong with it?

If you're still stuck in a month's time post back for plan B

Dave Moyle;21097:
Hi,
I have an account with you but my pad the App was installed on has failed I cannot seem to install one on my laptop to send my meter readings😕
Hi,
I have an account with you but my pad the App was installed on has failed I cannot seem to install one on my laptop to send my meter readings😕
Charltones;20284:
Sending photos in app didn’t work. I have iPhone SE. I entered readings, took photo but at the preview screen where it said ‘click next’ there was no next button. Tried 3 times then submitted by skipping.

Hi @Charltones
Welcome to the community!
Thanks for posting.
Might be a bit late now, but it's possible the button was 'hidden' underneath the keyboard. Scrolling by pushing the screen up and down would reveal the button.
Sending photos in app didn’t work. I have iPhone SE. I entered readings, took photo but at the preview screen where it said ‘click next’ there was no next button. Tried 3 times then submitted by skipping.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Domenika9
I don't know what you meter installation is but it sounds to me like you aren't on E7 and PP have switched only one of your two meters, the other one is likely still with your original provider. I may be wrong..
Find one of your old bills before you switched and see if it mentions your tariff or your metering class.
To clarify E7 is ONE tariff with day and night readings ( not two tariffs) and it does not normally have 2 separate meters. (although I still have no idea whether there are exceptions to that)
Also check to see how many MPAN's <<- are on your previous bills.
Domenika9;18410:
Hi,thanks for getting back to me. I think we used to be on E7 meters and therefore we had two meters for the two different tarriff. I deleted the app as you suggested and logged in again. Unfortunately, nothing has changed. There are no two boxes that appear, so I’m still unable to send you the readers from the second meter. I will try to contact the team as you said. Thank you again.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm, I have suggested something similar but for different reasons (to do with meter numbers).BUT.. It's not as simple as it first seems because the readings go off together for the same submission on the statement and are thus intended to be date stamped the same as each other. Thus treating each separately would require a significant software update (is my theory).
Furthermore PP don't do a gas-only contract, you have to be switched to PP for electricity in order for them to supply gas.

Ask Santa for a pencil and paper ...

Tom Pike;17347:
Is it possible to send individual meter readings (i.e. not have to read both gas and electric)? They are nowhere near each other, one I read when in the garden and one in the lounge, so I often am doing entirely different things when passing the meter and wanting to submit a reading.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Doc Richard;19498:
I have photos on my iPhone and sent the figures only as I can’t see how to upload the photos. Can you instruct for next submission

Hello doc.
You normally only send photos with your inital readings. Normal monthly readings dont need photos.
If your sending inital readings then the app should open your devise camera at the required time.
I have photos on my iPhone and sent the figures only as I can’t see how to upload the photos. Can you instruct for next submission
Hi,thanks for getting back to me. I think we used to be on E7 meters and therefore we had two meters for the two different tarriff. I deleted the app as you suggested and logged in again. Unfortunately, nothing has changed. There are no two boxes that appear, so I’m still unable to send you the readers from the second meter. I will try to contact the team as you said. Thank you again.
Userlevel 6
Lucyt;17925:
Yes the servers are working today thanks for your help

Happy days 🆒
Gil;17833:
How have you got on today, are the servers issues resolved for you?

Yes the servers are working today thanks for your help
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Domenika
You can only be on one of two tariffs, normal or Economy 7.
Can you check your previous suppliers bill to see if it says you are either of those?
If you have 2 readings you must be on E7, as PP don't supply other tariffs (such as for example Economy 10)
and so both readings boxes should appear on the app for you to enter them.
If that isn't happening your account hasn't been set up properly or you aren't an E7 customer and there's been an error from the start.
Putting it simply, it's broken, all this said assuming your app is working properly.
Before you do anything delete and reload the app and log in again.
If it's the same you'll need to go to HELP in the app, type "message the team", and ask for your account to be looked at.
Hi! We have two different meters, but when I’m on the app, trying to send the readings, it only allows me to send the readings of one of them. When we switched to you I was able to send you a picture of them but unfortunately now I can’t do that anymore. How do I send you the readings of the second one(I think it was the night tarriff one+ heating).
Userlevel 6
Lucyt;17691:
I’ll try the wattbot now as there is still server issues this morning too

How have you got on today, are the servers issues resolved for you?
Lucyt;17599:
All I am getting right now 22:56 on 23 nov is The request to connect in order to submit the meter readings is down.

Different devices and their appropriate apps on 4g and wireless.

Not sure what I can do if the servers are down.

Hi @Lucyt
We had a server issue Saturday evening. Sorry about that.
It should all be OK now 🆙
Gil;17689:
Sorry to hear that 😞. Two options, @Marc could take a look to see if there is an account issue causing this now(?) or you could go to watttbot and "message the team" to ask them to investigate. You can then attach your readings at the same time.

I’ll try the wattbot now as there is still server issues this morning too
Userlevel 6
Lucyt;17621:
Not working thus morning either. Still server issues

Sorry to hear that 😞. Two options, @Marc could take a look to see if there is an account issue causing this now(?) or you could go to watttbot and "message the team" to ask them to investigate. You can then attach your readings at the same time.
Gil;17601:
Hi @Lucyt , there seems to be a lot of server issues at the moment :(

I would give it another go in the morning and see how it goes then. Post back how you get on:)

Not working thus morning either. Still server issues