Solved

how do i get a smart meter ?

• 11 March 2021
  • 5 replies

my usage is huge for a 3 bedroom bungalow?

icon

Best answer by Angelabikerbabe 11 March 2021, 18:41

Hi
You're talking to fellow PP customers on this forum, and as such we don't have access to customers accounts. But we will help if we can.

PP is rolling out smart meters region by region. 

Heres a link which may help you:
https://community.purepla.net/smart-meters-and-ihds-33/can-i-have-a-smart-meter-103288

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi
You're talking to fellow PP customers on this forum, and as such we don't have access to customers accounts. But we will help if we can.

PP is rolling out smart meters region by region. 

Heres a link which may help you:
https://community.purepla.net/smart-meters-and-ihds-33/can-i-have-a-smart-meter-103288

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@stephandrowe

As mentioned above, the meter installers are working region by region but,

Unfortunately contrary to popular belief, a smart meter will not in itself will not reduce your bills,  it can inform you of usage, but not for individual appliances

Have a look around the house to see if there is anything switched on that doesn't need to be, are your lights the latest LED type,  reducing the temperature slightly can make quite a difference, make sure your insulation is adequate etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

my usage is huge for a 3 bedroom bungalow?

@stephandrowe 

What’s your annual usage?

Hey @stephandrowe 

Just jumping in to add you may also find some of our Community discussions around saving energy really informative, too :slight_smile:

Hi @stephandrowe 

Welcome to the Community.

Smart Meters, despite the bumf used by some proponents of them, won’t ‘save you energy’ - at best, they will show you when you are using ‘most energy’ something you can do almost as easily yourself by buying any decent ‘energy monitor’ or for that matter, if you’re really patient, with a pen, a piece of paper, and a watch.

You just need to turn everything off, then turn one thing at a time back on again until you see what causes ‘spike(s)’ in your usage.

My energy usage has increased steadily since 2005, and I worked out that my shower was at least partially responsible by using the ‘turn everything off and watch the meter as you turn them back on’ method - I later confirmed it with an OWL meter which showed me that my shower uses over £1 for every hour it’s on.

What neither ‘Smart Meters’ or ‘Energy Monitors’ are very good at identifying though, is the long-term slow energy drain - chargers, things left on standby etc. which don’t use much energy per hour, but are on for long periods of time - just think, if you have a phone with a 4500 mAh battery, and you charge it every day, that’s almost an extra 30kWh a month, a family of 3 people with a phone and a tablet each, charging them each day, and suddenly you have over 150kWh per month extra in your energy bill that you’ve not noticed.

Ultimately, it’s not ‘buildings’ that use energy, it’s the people living in them, despite what OFGEM, and the comparison sites advise, there’s no real ‘my usage is huge for a 3 bedroom bungalow’ - your usage is what it is because of what the people living in that bungalow do with their energy.

Kindest Regards
Gwyndy