Solved

How can I talk to someone about our usage?

• 25 February 2021
  • 43 replies

Userlevel 2

I really need to talk to someone to find out whats going on with our usage.

For the period 18 Oct 2020 to 17 Dec 2020

Balance at your last statement £0.00

Payment received on 19 Oct 2020 CR £174.10

Payment received on 18 Nov 2020 CR £174.10

Payment received on 18 Dec 2020 CR £174.10

Balance before spend CR £522.30

Total new spend this period £785.97

Account Balance DR £263.67

For the period 18 Dec 2020 to 17 Jan 2021

Balance at your last statement £263.67

Payment received on 18 Jan 2021 CR £174.10

Balance before spend £89.57

Total new spend this period £475.84

Account Balance DR £565.41

For the period 18 Jan 2021 to 17 Feb 2021

Balance at your last statement £565.41

Payment received on 18 Feb 2021 CR £174.10

Balance before spend £391.31

Total new spend this period £440.58

Account Balance DR £831.89

I really need to understand what is going on because I don’t understand these bills at all, is it telling us that our usage has gone up?  I don’t understand because before switching our usage was less and out DD a also a lot less.

Thank you,

Simon

icon

Best answer by stephenrand 25 February 2021, 21:19

Hi @Sy1802 

You'll obviously be happier when you've had contact with Pure Planet. You can do this by Wattbot, Twitter, Facebook and email, just not by phone.

If you were paying £106 a month previously, that's about £1300 a year. Your Pure Planet direct debit will give about £1750 a year. I don't think it's impossible that your readings are accurate, and they are not varying wildly, but Pure Planet may be able to confirm that from their perspective the meter appears to be functioning properly - or not. 

Stephen

View original

43 replies

I really need to talk to someone to find out whats going on with our usage.

Balance at your last statement £0.00

Payment received on 19 Oct 2020 CR £174.10

Payment received on 18 Nov 2020 CR £174.10

Payment received on 18 Dec 2020 CR £174.10

Balance before spend CR £522.30

Total new spend this period £785.97

Account Balance DR £263.67

Balance at your last statement £263.67

Payment received on 18 Jan 2021 CR £174.10

Balance before spend £89.57

Total new spend this period £475.84

Account Balance DR £565.41

Balance at your last statement £565.41

Payment received on 18 Feb 2021 CR £174.10

Balance before spend £391.31

Total new spend this period £440.58

Account Balance DR £831.89

I really need to understand what is going on because I don’t understand these bills at all, is it telling us that our usage has gone up?  I don’t understand because before switching our usage was less and out DD a also a lot less.

Thank you,

Simon

Hi Simon.

Your actual kWh listed in your statement, or the monthly usage in your app, will more accurately answer whether your ‘usage’ has gone up.

To, as best I can, answer your question:

Total new spend this period £785.97  (60 days = £13.0995 per day)

Total new spend this period £475.84 (31 days = £15.349 per day)

Total new spend this period £440.58 (30 days = £14.686 per day)

However, those figures provide no comparison if your tariff has changed during the period in question.

Userlevel 2

So its quite literally saying we are using over £400 of electricity in a 1 month period?

That looks very wrong.

On page 2 of the statements:

100% green (18 Oct 2020 - 17 Dec 2020)

18 Oct 2020   8357.7 Opening Estimate

18 Nov 2020.  11076.0 Customer Reading

18 Dec 2020   13913.0 Customer Reading

Energy Used 5555.3 kWh @ 13.2000 p/kWh   £733.30

Monthy membership fee (standing charge)   £15.24

Total Electricity Charges.  £748.54

Subtotal of charges before VAT.  £748.54

VAT @ 5% on £748.54.  £37.43

Total Charges for this bill.  £785.97

100% green (18 Dec 2020 - 17 Jan 2021)

Energy Charges for Meter 19M12xxxxxx

18 Dec 2020   13913.0 Customer Reading

18 Jan 2021.  17093.5 Reading

Energy Used.  3180.5 kWh @ 14.0090 p/kWh.  £445.56

Monthly membership fee (standing charge) £7.62

Total Electricity Charges.   £453.18

Subtotal of charges before VAT.  £453.18

VAT @ 5% on £453.18.   £22.66

Total Charges for this bill    £475.84

100% green (18 Jan 2021 - 17 Feb 2021)

Energy Charges for Meter 19M12xxxxxx

18 Jan 2021   17093.5 Customer Reading

18 Feb 2021.  20034.3 Reading

Energy Used.  2940.8 kWh @ 14.0090 p/kWh.  £411.98

Monthly membership fee (standing charge) £7.62

Total Electricity Charges.   £419.60

Subtotal of charges before VAT.  £419.60

VAT @ 5% on £419.60.  £20.98

Total Charges for this bill    £440.58

So its quite literally saying we are using over £400 of electricity in a 1 month period?

That looks very wrong.

I know you have a ground source heat pump, and that Pure Planet were due to come out and change your meter, did they change it?

I honestly have no idea what someone else’s usage should be, too many variables, I in a two bedroom semi-detached bungalow, discovered this week that we spend 4 times as much on electricity as my cousin does in his much older detached bungalow.

I suspect from your previous thread that no-one here is really going to be able to resolve this, and that you need to get some advice direct from Pure Planet’s Member Services, using WattBot and Message the Team, it may be worth sending a DM to @Marc, or @Nataly , but even they don’t have access to account information.

Kindest Regards

Mark

Userlevel 2

We have an Air Source Heat Pump, initially Pure Planet told us they were unable to access the smart meter, they set-up for an engineer to come out and replace the smart meter, however before this happened they were suddenly able to read the smart meter, so the engineer was cancelled and we have the original smart meter, but again I haven't been able to talk to anyone about this.

We have an Air Source Heat Pump, initially Pure Planet told us they were unable to access the smart meter, they set-up for an engineer to come out and replace the smart meter, however before this happened they were suddenly able to read the smart meter, so the engineer was cancelled and we have the original smart meter, but again I haven't been able to talk to anyone about this.

Hi Sy

There are only two ways I know of to contact member services for issues WattBot can’t solve:

1:  Typing ‘Message the Team’ into WattBot (slow, the initial reply usually take several days.)

2: Email to help@purepla.net, (however, as Pure Planet prefer people use WattBot, this is apparently even slower than ‘Message the Team’ in WattBot.)

Although Pure Planet have apparently been known to phone customers, there’s no ‘official’ telephone number that I’m aware of.

Sorry I can’t give you anything resembling an ‘instant answer,’ you could try typing the query over your usage into WattBot, it may be able to give you some suggestions as to what you can do.

Mark

Userlevel 2

Thank you, I will try email.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi Sy @Sy1802 

Here are a few comments that I hope will be helpful:

1. I'm not sure that making contact with Pure Planet will necessarily be helpful, because you have given us all a pretty good idea of what is happening to your account already. But it's worth a try (your statement lists all the ways you can contact them).

2. Your direct debit was fixed on the basis of your estimate of what you might use in an average year. It's quite high. (You don't say how big your house is, your yearly costs would be typical of a family of 4-5 in a large detached house.)

3. The figures you have quoted do suggest that you may be using rather more than would be indicated by your direct debit. In which case, assuming that you were in the same property with a previous supplier, you should be able to look at last year's statements and check whether your usage has increased. If it has, you then have to ask what has changed. If your air source heat pump is new that could be the explanation - they are reported to be potentially quite expensive in very cold weather.

4. You have been supplying meter readings, so that rules out one possible explanation of soaring costs. It's possible your meter is faulty, but it's not likely.

If you have got comparative figures from last winter, that's the best starting point for working out whether anything has gone wrong. And if you haven't a big family in a big house, then it's certainly worth investigating further.

I know others will add their thoughts!

Stephen

Userlevel 2

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the reply.

We have switched several times in the past and before Pure Planet out typical monthly bill was £106 per month and we were not in dept.

When we switched to Pure Planet is was because the price given was obviously less than we were paying already but that changed almost instantly.  

Our house has 5 bed-rooms, it is a large detached house and presently they’re is my wife and my two sons living at home, another son has moved out and my daughter is at Cardiff Uni.

We did have an Air Source Heat pump installed last year and when we switched I contacted the supplier and asked them to check the system, we are told it is working as expected and isn’t the cause of the higher bills, I’ve contacted them again today and waiting for a response.

I was wondering about the smart meter being faulty, but again not being able to contact Pure Planet is a real problem.

Thanks again.

Simon

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Sy1802 

You'll obviously be happier when you've had contact with Pure Planet. You can do this by Wattbot, Twitter, Facebook and email, just not by phone.

If you were paying £106 a month previously, that's about £1300 a year. Your Pure Planet direct debit will give about £1750 a year. I don't think it's impossible that your readings are accurate, and they are not varying wildly, but Pure Planet may be able to confirm that from their perspective the meter appears to be functioning properly - or not. 

Stephen

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Sy1802

Has the meter been changed, if so when, or is it just that this appears to have gone wrong when you switched to PP?

Sorry to come in at a late stage, been busy…

Please may I suggest as an interim idea that you start taking 2 readings a day at about the same times morning/bedtime from the actual meter, it will help pinpoint what’s going on.

Userlevel 2

No it’s the original smart meter, readings are being taken from it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

No it’s the original smart meter, readings are being taken from it.

@Sy1802 Can you follow my suggestion above it will really help pinpoint what’s going on.

Userlevel 2

I can’t, we can’t turn off everything, the fridge and freezer are both full.

I think @woz  means take (very) regular readings...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I can’t, we can’t turn off everything, the fridge and freezer are both full.

@Sy1802 Sorry if it wasn’t, I thought it was clear, (I never mentioned switching anything off!) Don’t change your usage just take meter readings from the meter on the wall (not from the ihd) twice a day morning and evening/night, at around the same-ish time (not critical) for at least a week, note the readings and time you took them, it will help pinpoint what the meter is saying your actual usage is and make it easier to move forward and diagnose if there is an issue. We can then discuss what might be causing your issues.

Userlevel 2

We believe we have identified the device causing the high usage, its the Air Source Heat Pump.  We turned this right down today and the usage has gone down, more than half.

Great news. Well sussed! Thanks for the update. Typically Air source heat pumps give out maybe four or five times the heat energy as the electrical energy they consume. 

If you’re not feeling that benefit, perhaps it’s faulty. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

We believe we have identified the device causing the high usage, its the Air Source Heat Pump.  We turned this right down today and the usage has gone down, more than half.

@Sy1802 That’s a good start, but I still think you need to take readings.

Did the installation of the ashp coincide with switching, if not you would have seen the usage increase prior? (unless the ashp issue is something which has recently happened perhaps due to external temperature?)

Userlevel 2

It was almost exactly the same time when we switched to Pure as having the ASHP installed.

Can’t see how that would be connected… But maybe worth getting the heat pump checked?

Userlevel 2

Thank you, I have approached the company that installed it and am waiting for response.

Good luck. Let us know the outcome… 😊 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Can’t see how that would be connected… But maybe worth getting the heat pump checked?

@25 quid I don’t think @Sy1802 is saying they are connected, I was trying to ascertain why the higher costs hadn’t shown up earlier (or later) when I asked. 

I know I keep banging on about it but I’d still take daily readings…

@25 quid  At the risk of derailing this thread slightly,  I’d also ask that if gshp uses for example 50% of what it costs (this appears to be the accepted consensus after a quick and dirty google, I have no idea of the real life figures)  in comparison to using electric heating, (thus for getting say 1kWh of heat out it would only use 500Wh), this would still cost more than double what a gas boiler would cost for the equivalent amount of heat. (1kWh 16p with an electric heater, 8p with a gshp 3p with a boiler.

Of course none of this takes incentives into account.

https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/2014/08/the-running-costs-of-heat-pumps

(Scenario only applies when it’s very cold, sums are different when it gets warmer)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Sy1802

Reading through the whole thread, it would appear that you previously suspected the gshp was the cause of the usage when you added 

"We did have an Air Source Heat pump installed last year and when we switched I contacted the supplier and asked them to check the system, we are told it is working as expected and isn’t the cause of the higher bills, I’ve contacted them again today and waiting for a response."

When the supplier said it was working as expected, did they actually check the installation had been done correctly, I think they would be reluctant to admit that the gshp was faulty as they would be responsible for remedial costs

@25 quid  At the risk of derailing this thread slightly,  I’d also ask that if gshp uses for example 50% of what it costs (this appears to be the accepted consensus after a quick and dirty google, I have no idea of the real life figures)  in comparison to using electric heating, (thus for getting say 1kWh of heat out it would only use 500Wh), this would still cost more than double what a gas boiler would cost for the equivalent amount of heat. (1kWh 16p with an electric heater, 8p with a gshp 3p with a boiler.

I quoted typical figures for air source as per what @Sy1802 has. I’m not as sure for ground source, but hope it’s higher than you mentioned. I know someone who has a river source and gets at least a 4x gain.