Solved

Gas meter readings in KWh

• 22 June 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi

Im switching to Pure Planet and needed to provide my smart meter readings

the website asks for gas reading in ft, but my meter will only give me a KWH reading, and I can’t switch setting to another unit. I’ve submitted this value, and supplied a picture. Will that still be ok ?

thanks
icon

Best answer by Gwyndy 22 June 2020, 20:29

Hi Geejaypee67

Welcome to the Pure Planet Community.

In addition to talldave's concerns regarding whether you got the readings from the In Home Display.

As you have just joined, and you have already submitted your readings, I suggest that you:

Open the App.

Open WattBot.

Type 'Message the Team'

And leave an explanation there as soon as possible.

The reason I suggest this is that readings have to go through a verification process when changing suppliers, and any confusion in the readings will delay your final bills.

Kindest Regards
​​​​​​​Gwyndy

Geejaypee67;56693:
Hi

the website asks for gas reading in ft, but my meter will only give me a KWH reading, and I can’t switch setting to another unit. I’ve submitted this value, and supplied a picture. Will that still be ok ?

thanks
View original

5 replies

No. Gas meters measure volume of gas in m3 or ft3. Are you talking about an in home display? Forget that, read the meter that's connected to gas pipes.
Hi Geejaypee67

Welcome to the Pure Planet Community.

In addition to talldave's concerns regarding whether you got the readings from the In Home Display.

As you have just joined, and you have already submitted your readings, I suggest that you:

Open the App.

Open WattBot.

Type 'Message the Team'

And leave an explanation there as soon as possible.

The reason I suggest this is that readings have to go through a verification process when changing suppliers, and any confusion in the readings will delay your final bills.

Kindest Regards
​​​​​​​Gwyndy

Geejaypee67;56693:
Hi

thanks

I am trying to calculate monthly gas cost against usage. How do I do this? I know my tariff in kWh but I think the meter reads volumes?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Spencer.Back 

That's correct, gas meter readings should be submitted in m3, or if a very old meter ft3. The volume is then calculated using a formula which is shown on page 2 of your statement

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I am trying to calculate monthly gas cost against usage. How do I do this? I know my tariff in kWh but I think the meter reads volumes?

hi @Spencer.Back

Disclaimer, the following method is only approximate because the conversion depends on the calorific value of the gas which changes. This method uses an average value so could be up to 2% out either way.

First get a figure for the number of cubic metres you’ve used. Meter reading 2 minus Meter reading 1 (you could ignore anything after the decimal point or better still work to 1 decimal place)

Meter reading 1= 076932.8 
subtract
Meter reading 2 = 077143.1

so 210.3 cu m used, then...

Multiply by 210.3 by 11.25,   = 2365 then Multiply by the unit price in pence 2.855 = 6752 and divide by 100

=£67.52

That’s approx how much that gas cost you

But I suspect there is more to your question...is there?