Solved

Gas meter not displaying anything on screen

Userlevel 1

Hello,

My (non-smart) gas meter is not displaying anything on its screen. There are two buttons -- red (shows meter index) and black (updates index)-- on it, but when I press them, nothing happens. I am still getting gas to the property.

Is there something I can do so that the display works again?

Thank you!

ABC

icon

Best answer by ABC 24 August 2021, 11:06

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi everyone,

Many thanks again for all your help and advice. Through a relatively short chat on Wattbot, it was resolved that our gas and electricity meters could be replaced with SMETS2 meters, which is great.

Take care,

ABC

Userlevel 1

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the helpful replies. I tried pressing the buttons a few more times, but nothing came up on the screen. I’ve asked my question on Wattbot and am awaiting a reply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@ABC 

If your meter has buttons, it's possible that it is a smart meter, but a SMETS1 in dumb mode. If you can't get the display to illuminate by pressing the buttons it's probably faulty. 

You will need to use Wattbot in the help , ask a question menu, first type message the team, explain what the problem is, what you have done to try to get it working and if possible, attach a photo of your meter, the team will get back to you within 3 working days

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi everyone,

Many thanks again for all your help and advice. Through a relatively short chat on Wattbot, it was resolved that our gas and electricity meters could be replaced with SMETS2 meters, which is great.

Take care,

ABC

Great news, thanks for letting us know 👍 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi.you may have to "wake it up", in order to read it, try keeping your finger on the button for a couple of seconds. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have a gas meter that has 2 buttons on and I keep forgetting which one I have to press for a few seconds, so I end up trying both 🤪

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

hi @ABC 

it sounds like it is a smart meter and it’s broken

if so:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the helpful replies. I tried pressing the buttons a few more times, but nothing came up on the screen. I’ve asked my question on Wattbot and am awaiting a reply.

Hope you get sorted, let us know what happens 👍

Hello @ABC 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

Thank you everyone for jumping in to help @ABC - I’d recommend popping a photo of your meter into your WattBot chat, as well as letting the team know that you’ve already tried to ‘wake up’ your meter. 

This may also be useful:

Let us know how you get on!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

great news..., nothing to lose now by getting out the meter fixing tool..

Userlevel 1

Hi Angelabikerbabe- thanks for the suggestion :blush:  I tried that before posting on here and didn’t seem to work. I’ll try it again in different configurations (e.g., pressing one button for 5 seconds; pressing both buttons for 10 seconds), though, in case I wasn’t doing it correctly or for long enough. ABC