I have just taken my usual monthly meter readings and was horrified to find that my electricity reading was approx 550 units consumed rather than the standard 240 -250 units summer or winter. This in spite of the fact the House was unoccupied for 10 days whilst I and my wife were on holiday. My gas metre was correct and reflected the low usage I would expect for a summer month and the house being unoccupied for 10 days.
If we continue to consume this rate of electricity on an ongoing basis it would add £500 per year to my fuel costs!
I am curious as to wether amyone else has experienced what seems to be a faulty metre and what can be done to rectify the problem!
Best answer by Gazza19
Hi Jon - thanks or your reply. I was really mystified why our usage was so unusually high. After further investigation I discovered that an electric heater had been inadvertently left on in our loft room (which had not been used for a while) for a prolonged period of time! by prolonged I mean at least 3 weeks! We suspect one of our grandchildren may have been the culprit! So no faulty meter which is a relief but a very costly oversight on our part!
- - - Updated - - -
Thank you Nataly but the reason for our high meter reasons was not by way of a faulty meter it transpired!
Please see my reply to Jon1.