Solved

Fake meter reader?

• 31 July 2020
  • 6 replies

We have just been visited by someone claiming to be a meter reader. We were not expecting it,  and don’t  know if this was a scam. She was not wearing any PPE. Was this a valid visit?

She left a card for the meter reading to be done by us.

icon

Best answer by Marc 31 July 2020, 17:37

Hello @robedw63 

We use two companies' agents to take meter readings - TMA and Lowri Beck. 

It's not uncommon for the Big 6 energy suppliers to get agents to take meter readings from all houses in a street, even if they're not all customers of theirs.

Somehow it's easier for them to try and take readings from all homes instead of doing the work in advance to know which houses to check, and which not to check.

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

hi @robedw63 

there was an article which gave info about who the meter readers were working for and how to identify them but it’s been lost in the community migration. @marc will update this.

(non working link was here @Marc )

The lack of PPE is really concerning, what are the details on the card? These companies are working on behalf of PP, so this will be a real concern for them.

Thanks, I have submitted the same question directly to PP so hopefully then can confirm who that was. The lack of PPE was concerning to us too.

Hello @robedw63 

We use two companies' agents to take meter readings - TMA and Lowri Beck. 

It's not uncommon for the Big 6 energy suppliers to get agents to take meter readings from all houses in a street, even if they're not all customers of theirs.

Somehow it's easier for them to try and take readings from all homes instead of doing the work in advance to know which houses to check, and which not to check.

Thanks. It seems odd for them to visit every house during these difficult times and I am concerned about the lack of PPE. If it was one of your agents I shall let you know so that you can mention it. In the meantime I shall submit readings online.

Thanks. It seems odd for them to visit every house during these difficult times and I am concerned about the lack of PPE. If it was one of your agents I shall let you know so that you can mention it. In the meantime I shall submit readings online.

That would be great @robedw63 We’d be concerned too if it was our agents. :thumbsup:

Hi all

Just to let you know that we’ve found and re-added our FAQ about the meter readers we work with.

Hope this comes in useful! 

(But, as I mentioned above, some suppliers do still take readings from whole streets)