Solved

Estimation of meter reading for over a year

Hello!

I have read a lot about this topic but none seems to be my case. Apologies if it has already been discussed.

I have been a customer for about 2 years and hardly ever submitted my reading. I know this is not great but anyway that’s what happened. I have finally now sent my gas and electricity reading . Has anyone else had this experience? Do you know what happens next? can my one and only reading for over a year give an accurate figure of my usage?  I am now making a switch with a different supplier so I wonder how this will plan out

Thank you for your advise if you have any :)

icon

Best answer by woz 16 October 2020, 13:42

Hello!

First of all I am amazed of the level of support of this community! you guys are so helpful ! @woz @Strutt G spending time to solve my issues! 

Just to clarify my unit rate is 13.493  Electricity and 2.727 Gas. As pointed out it shouldn’t’ make much of a big difference.

I am going to start to take more of an interest going forward and perhaps switch my lights off more often ! 

Thank you!

Barbara 

@BarbaraYork 

I worked it out at the lower rates, which apply because the rates you quoted have only just changed. 

Yes you need to become an obsessive meter nerd and switch it off if you aren’t watching it! 

I shall be checking up on you (only because my lot won’t listen!)

Good luck.

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi Barbara,

Listen out from other members who could provide better logic: -

If I was you then I would compare your readings you have submitted to PP v PP’s estimated readings on your last statement. Moving suppliers and not understand your correct usage v the standard modal may not prove to be favourable unless of course you’ve done this based on tariff cost.

If you revert back:  (some members might assist with some calculations)

1. With your actual readings and the date submitted
  2. Your last statements estimated readings and the statement date
  3. And maybe your original opening readings when you joined PP and the date of joining.
  4. Did you start with PP with accurate usage, what was it
  5. Whats is your region

Anyway maybe all a bit too much, but knowing your usage is key, because sometimes tariffs may appear favourable to leave, but might amount to less in saving than you envisage.

Good luck what ever you decide.

Hello Strutt !

Thank you so much for your reply so I am now going to take up your offer and see if anyone with a more mathematical  skills can help me. I would be really grateful but I know its a big ask !

1. My reading which I have submitted yesterday ( and today on a chat ) are 14th October are:
  • 03815 Gas
  • 10152 Electricity.
  1. My last estimated reading ( bill relevant from 11-Sept to 10th October) 

Electricity 

• 11 Sep 2020  9727.5 Estimate  
  • 11 Oct 2020  9959.7 Estimate

Gas 

• 11 Sep 2020 4073 Estimate
  • 1 Oct 2020 4132 Estimate
  1. I can’t be 100% sure of my opening reading when I joined in July 2018 and here are my only 2 real reading I can see recorded in my pas bills:
  • 27th August bill 2018  for Gas is 1708    ( correct reading not estimate) 
  • 13th Feb. 2019  Electricity 5469  ( Correct reading not estimate) 

I live in York  if that's helps 

I thought that by now giving the correct reading they will now know my real usage?

Many thanks

Barbara 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi Barbara,

Just a few points and considered advice….

Your usage is worked out on your statement date when the computer spins it out. Your statement date is the anniversary of when you joined and the statements is sent the day after.

Your statement date appears to be the 11th so if you submitted actuals on the 14th then your next statement would (if you were not leaving) of used current reads.  

PP may of provided reliable estimates with a little luck, as its out of their control….re actual usage..effecting a credit or debit balance.

For the record IF you submitted reads on your statement date then reads are never estimated. Many peeps send theirs 3 days in advance when prompted. Those final 3 days are estimated which makes no difference month by month. I’m only saying this in case you return and may assist looking ahead.

So your actual submitted usage will reflect on your final PP bill. All suppliers (consumer protection) have to send their customers final reads to a 3rd party for verification, this process can take up to six weeks and then PP will be in a position to produce your final bill. Keep your DD open with PP because otherwise the account balance cant be settled as in credit/debit. It should be noted that DD’s continue until this process is complete - your final bill will reflect this.

On reflection, If I was you I would approach PP via wattBot to get their response. They’re a nice company and will help. Ask them what your account balance looks like now that you’ve submitted actuals. Say if theres enough credit can you now reduce my DD as part of the leaving process….they treat a customer leaving today as a potential returning customer.

On your statement right hand side you have cost projections and page 2 right hand side estimated annual usage - but there only as good with at least monthly actual submission over the seasons.

Who are you switching to as I’ll have look at the numbers…?

Hope this helps a little...guess you’ve used wattBot before?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello Strutt !

Thank you so much for your reply so I am now going to take up your offer and see if anyone with a more mathematical  skills can help me. I would be really grateful but I know its a big ask !

1. My reading which I have submitted yesterday ( and today on a chat ) are 14th October are:
  • 03815 Gas
  • 10152 Electricity.
  1. My last estimated reading ( bill relevant from 11-Sept to 10th October) 

Electricity 

• 11 Sep 2020  9727.5 Estimate  
  • 11 Oct 2020  9959.7 Estimate

Gas 

• 11 Sep 2020 4073 Estimate
  • 1 Oct 2020 4132 Estimate
  1. I can’t be 100% sure of my opening reading when I joined in July 2018 and here are my only 2 real reading I can see recorded in my pas bills:
  • 27th August bill 2018  for Gas is 1708    ( correct reading not estimate) 
  • 13th Feb. 2019  Electricity 5469  ( Correct reading not estimate) 

I live in York  if that's helps 

I thought that by now giving the correct reading they will now know my real usage?

Many thanks

Barbara 

@BarbaraYork 

I love a challenge…if I have time...

Can you list your unit rates? Presumably they were  13.275 and 2.715?? Yorkshire region variable but the tariff may have changed mid stream as it was updated may 2020, so you’ll need or may need the previous rates. Look at an older statement?

Can you tell me the balance on your (bill relevant from 11-Sept to 10th October)?

The good news is you’ve used less gas  but the bad news is you’ve used more electricity (than was estimated)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

OK I’ve given this some thought.

To keep it simple assuming your rates are what they are now the situation is as follows:

You’ve used 192 kWh more electricity than your last estimate at 13.275p so that means you’ll owe about £25 more than your last statement balance for electric

You’ve used 258 cu m less gas than your estimated gas which at an average Calorific value of 39.4 is about 2890kWh of gas at 2.715p which is around £78.46 in your favour

So all in all your statement balance showing on your last statement  is probably around £50 less than it should be.

Of course this doesn’t take price changes into account but since it’s fairly close I don’t think it’ll make much difference

Hello!

First of all I am amazed of the level of support of this community! you guys are so helpful ! @woz @Strutt G spending time to solve my issues! 

Just to clarify my unit rate is 13.493  Electricity and 2.727 Gas. As pointed out it shouldn’t’ make much of a big difference.

I am going to start to take more of an interest going forward and perhaps switch my lights off more often ! 

Thank you!

Barbara 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello!

First of all I am amazed of the level of support of this community! you guys are so helpful ! @woz @Strutt G spending time to solve my issues! 

Thank you!

Barbara 

@BarbaraYork 

I worked it out at the lower rates, which apply because the rates you quoted have only just changed. 

Yes you need to become an obsessive meter nerd and switch it off if you aren’t watching it! 

I shall be checking up on you (only because my lot won’t listen!)

Good luck.

Thank you again and I love the term “ meter nerd”  

slight change of topic 

Are we allowed to mention Martin Lewis on this forum ? :)  He pretty much advocate we should be switching every year! what does the community think?

I have just requested my switch a couple of days ago as previously said.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi Barbara.

We often mention Martin Lewis on the community! And MSE's new scheme is certainly attractive. It does seem to address the two main issues (for me) of the automatic switching companies, one of which is switching you to a fixed rate tariff then waiting until that is due to expire, usually a year later, and only then checking what your best option is.

It's just possible that you might save money by switching at some other point.

Of course opting for a fixed rate deal is always a gamble, because it is possible that prices go down. Not often, but it has happened!

Then, of course, price is not the only consideration for some. There's 'greenness' - MSE's new scheme seems to cover that - and for some in the community here, they've got to like how Pure Planet works, and they're willing to pay a little more. The interesting question is how much more are they willing to pay? Woz may like to do a poll...!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Putting my cynic (realist) hat on the comment above reminded me of something  heard about people being asked if the wealthier members of the population should contribute more in taxes than those who were less well off.

Of course the majority of those asked thought it a good idea.

Unfortunately when they asked the same people if they would be prepared to pay more tax the majority said no, because it was always someone else who was wealthier than they were…

I don’t think a poll would do the subject justice.

I’ve taken my realist hat off, but the world is still the same colour and it isn’t rosy pink or very green…

oh.. I forgot to add that the less well f have been hammered by Covid, that won’t help the green revolution much either.

light change of topic 

Are we allowed to mention Martin Lewis on this forum ? :)  He pretty much advocate we should be switching every year! what does the community think?

No point doing it if there’s no need. See what Martin recommends next. Chances are the difference won’t amount to much and it’ll revert in a little while back in PP’s favour.

We’re happy if you stay and chat, but won’t discourage you leaving if you want. In fact you’ll even find tips on the best way to leave smoothly...

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@BarbaraYork 

I hope you’re going to report back when you receive the updated statement.