Solved

Estimated readings

• 12 July 2019
  • 13 replies

I'm getting rather annoyed! Although I always submit readings in plenty of time I keep getting estimated figures or I'm told that it doesn't seem right so my reading is ignored!

Anybody else have this problem?
icon

Best answer by Jon1 12 July 2019, 15:50

Hello and welcome.
Your statement will be billed at midnight on the day your statement is due. So if you send a reading before that day then it shows on the statement but will also be estimated upto the day of the statement. The DD wont change and any over under reading gets corrected when you send the next reading.
To prevent this from happening send the reading in on your billing date and it wont get estimated upwards.
View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Crawlingthewalls
Your reading is not being ignored, if you look at the statement you'll find your readings are on the statement. The estimated bit is for the days between when you submit your readings and your statement date. The estimates are usually close enough for it not to matter but if you want to avoid this you'll have to send your readings in at the latest possible time before your statement is produced, which is about 2 days after you get the reminder. In any event the statements will always correct with your readings, so it isn't an issue at all.
If you think about on a fixed statement date it can't work any other way.
​You can come back down to the floor now.
Crawlingthewalls;33197:
I'm getting rather annoyed! Although I always submit readings in plenty of time I keep getting estimated figures or I'm told that it doesn't seem right so my reading is ignored!

Anybody else have this problem?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hello and welcome.
Your statement will be billed at midnight on the day your statement is due. So if you send a reading before that day then it shows on the statement but will also be estimated upto the day of the statement. The DD wont change and any over under reading gets corrected when you send the next reading.
To prevent this from happening send the reading in on your billing date and it wont get estimated upwards.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
This is getting weird im going back to work now
Please don't patronise me. My reading is always sent on the day requested.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hello Crawling
I'm not sure who your message is aimed at but I can assure you that neither jon1 nor I are patronising you.
We've tried to explain why this happens, the question has arisen before.
I responded to your post which said " I always submit readings in plenty of time " which to me means not at the last possible moment.
The other reason this can happen is with a new account the meter credentials have not been established so estimated readings are used, but this usually comes right within a few weeks.

​​There is nothing whatsoever at all patronising in either of our replies but since patronisation is in the eyes of beholder I'm sorry you felt that way.
None of this reply is intended to be either patronising or disingenuous. I don't work for PP.

Crawlingthewalls;33206:
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
me too...
Jon1;33205:
This is getting weird im going back to work now
Hi Crawlingthewalls, (loving the name btw)

When you say "on the day requested".......do you mean
1. "as per the date contained within the email"........or, do you mean
2. "on the day the email arrives".........if your answer is 2........then that is where the fault lies, as PP will then have to "estimate" for the couple of days between your reading submission and the correct account meter reading date.

This reply is sent to assist you with your query, and is in no way intended to be patronising or disrespectful.
If further clarification is required, then please post back to the Community Forum, where one of my fellow Forum friends will be only too glad to offer their assistance. I do not work for PP, I am a fellow customer, just like you.

Crawlingthewalls;33206:
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Crawlingthewalls,

Send the readings on the 'send by' date not the date you receive the email - then no estimation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Scubaseahorse;33237:
Hi @Crawlingthewalls,

Send the readings on the 'send by' date not the date you receive the email - then no estimation.
I am also having this issue.
I submit them either on the 25th or 27th as requested. They then send me an estimate. Which if it is the estimate for the extra days... Then why exactly it is roughly the same amount extra as what I've used in the whole month.

Anyone else having the same issue, example if I used 12 in the month why am I estimated 12 or 13 for 3 days..
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Psilo;33622:
I submit them either on the 25th or 27th as requested. They then send me an estimate. Which if it is the estimate for the extra days... Then why exactly it is roughly the same amount extra as what I've used in the whole month.

Anyone else having the same issue, example if I used 12 in the month why am I estimated 12 or 13 for 3 days..

Hi Psilo
As this is your first post, welcome to the Pure Planet community!
It's a bit hard to comment on your post on the basis of the info you have given. The key thing is the date of your statement. If you give your readings just before that date, you should get a small estimate to fill that small gap. If you just miss that statement date, you will get an estimate for the whole month. But that should be clear on your emailed statement.

Can you tell us your statement date? Then I'm sure you'll get a few more answers from your fellow customers.

And as long as your usage is roughly in line with your expectations, and that's what you're paying for, the estimates don't matter too much!

Regards
Stephen
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Psilo (I love a silent P)

I'll start with the plus pside first - it doesn't really matter because it will correct with the next pset of readings you enter (which will appear on the next pstatement)
I'm not party to the algorithm used but my understanding is that it looks at the use over a the previous xx days or the last month, works out your average daily use, and multiplies that by the no. of days between the reading date and pstatement date. (or if that's not the case it ought to be).
I don't know why yours is so far out but I'll take a guess that the psystem does not yet have sufficient data to work yours out accurately, so it could be pskewed, but the good news is it should improve with time (I have no idea how long you've been with PP).
If the estimates don't psettle down to a reasonable guess then it should be looked at, but for now, given that there are only a few psets of exceptional circumstances where it could matter (like if you were with PP for a very short time and there was a price change in that time) I'd give it a while to settle.
If I'm wrong (I oftem am) and it's been consistently that far out over pseveral months then it should be reported as a bug.
Psilo;33622:

Psilo;33622:

Hi Psilo and Welcome.
I will address one of your comments here.
You state that you submit your meter readings on the "25th or 27th as requested"
The "by date" in the email reminder sent by PP is the accounting date for your account. If you submit the readings on this exact date then there will not be an estimate applied to your statement.