Solved

end of current fixed tariff. help!

Hi, my fixed tariff is coming to an end at the end of this month, Pure Planet has given me switching offers but they are all £500 a year more expensive, surely this can't be right? 

icon

Best answer by Duppy 12 June 2021, 21:05

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Cooperphil 

Unfortunately it's probably correct, The cost of energy has soared in the past 12 months, and the latest tariff hike is the subject of various posts in the community..

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Cooperphil 

Sadly I’m afraid they are very likely correct, check your estimated annual consumption which they have used to calculate your renewal and then use a comparison website. You must compare like with like using the same figures and when you get cheaper quotes they will probably be variable which means they might go up.

I can tell you from personal experience that renewals are about (at least) 30% more than the fix you got about a year ago.

@Cooperphil In my case the estimate from PP to renew indicates it is going to cost me about £425 per annum more. I checked on a couple of comparison sites and with one it said it could,not find anything cheaper. The other offered me Scottish Power or BG but the saving was very little and not worth the hassle of switching, particularly when you add in the reputations of these two. I have fixed with PP for 24 months from 15th July.

As others advise in these pages, when you use a comparison site make sure you are comparing like with like. You may at first think you are but some seem to change the goal posts and you think you are looking at a cheaper quote when you are not. I compared PP’s variable tariff and then separately the fixed one. The fixed comparison gave me the message “it looks like you are already on a good deal.”

There is merit also in sticking with the provider you know and gives good service. Even if the cost may be slightly higher. It will be coming up to 3 years since I first signed with PP, yes, I am not a fan of its Wattbot system, it could be much better, but I can live with that. I could not say customer service with others I have used in last years was wonderful. Never impressed with BG and others but Extra Energy was OK, sadly they packed up. I think PP is the provider I have been with the longest.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yes, unfortunately we're all on the same boat 😭

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Cooperphil it's come as a shock to us all, even though we knew that prices had increased recently, seeing it written down as an annual figure was a surprise 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

This is scandal looking for a newspaper story...

The Weekly Woz - the first and very likely the last issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

🙂

Tune in next week…

This is scandal looking for a newspaper story...

The Weekly Woz - the first and very likely the last issue.

Brilliant! Do you cover sport and the soaps too @woz ? :wink:

Tune in next week…

I hope next week’s instalment has prices coming back down.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’d buy it for the title alone, “The Weekly Woz” 👍👏🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣