Solved

Electric meter high readings

• 12 June 2019
  • 6 replies

Hi Guys

I’m not sure if my meter is faulty-I’m using about 22-26 units of electricity every 24 hours

This seems really high to me

last night I took a reading at 630pm and this morning at 730am and I’d used 11 units

Does anybody else have an idea of how much they use in a day?

thanks

​T
icon

Best answer by Nataly 21 June 2019, 16:16

Hey @Tb0485

The constant red light just means there's no electricity being used at that moment (because you'd turned off the power at the mains) - the meter would still be connected when doing this.

While your power is switched off, the meter reading shouldn't increase. If it did, that would indicate a faulty meter.

If you're still worried our Member Services team could always look into this for you, just get in touch via WattBot in your account.

It's also worth taking your annual usage (if you know roughly what it is) and dividing that by 365 to see roughly - as clearly it varies across the year - what your expected daily usage would be, as this can vary largely from property to property.
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hello and welcome.
Yes indeed that does seem higher than average. It points to something being turned on that should not be. Immersion or a heater of somesort. Maybe a faulty appliance. Check every room one at a time and switch everything off and how it alters usage. Dont forget loft shed garage etc.
Family of 3 here using about 10 units a day, so yes you're using a lot.

If you have a meter with a pulsing LED, I would highly recommend the Geo Minim+ monitor. Because it uses meter pulses it's accurate and allows you to see live consumption as you either switch off appliances or circuits at the fuse box.

Electric underfloor heating and immersion heaters are the kind of high power items you're looking for.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Deffo something wrong there, T 👎👎👎. Way too high for night usage. I’m guessing a heater too
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi TB0485
it seems high, is anything getting warm/hot in the night?
Do you have appliances which aren't in the main house? Any lighting in the loft?
11kWh in 13 hours, unfortunately you measured the early measurement a bit too soon, which makes calculating more difficult (better just before you go to bed)
Subtract standing usage when retired, maybe 150 to 200w an hour?? and what you used before retiring, say another 1 or 2 kWh so take off say 3 kW that leaves 8kWh in 11 hours,maybe 720 watts an hour, so it's not a lamp, unless you have halogen security lights on permanently, too high for a fridge or freezer but if it is there will be a lot of heat near them.

Can you take several measurements about 8 hours apart and when you retire/get-up?
​Might help to pinpoint..

Tb0485;31117:
Hi Guys

I’m not sure if my meter is faulty-I’m using about 22-26 units of electricity every 24 hours

This seems really high to me

last night I took a reading at 630pm and this morning at 730am and I’d used 11 units

Does anybody else have an idea of how much they use in a day?

thanks

​T
when I turn the power off at the mains..the pulsing red light stays on constant.

is this normal? As I asked a mate to do the same with his and his went off completely?
Hey @Tb0485

The constant red light just means there's no electricity being used at that moment (because you'd turned off the power at the mains) - the meter would still be connected when doing this.

While your power is switched off, the meter reading shouldn't increase. If it did, that would indicate a faulty meter.

If you're still worried our Member Services team could always look into this for you, just get in touch via WattBot in your account.

It's also worth taking your annual usage (if you know roughly what it is) and dividing that by 365 to see roughly - as clearly it varies across the year - what your expected daily usage would be, as this can vary largely from property to property.