Solved

electric goes off when i put dishwasher on

why does my meter go off when I put the dishwasher on I had a new meter put in on July 15th 2021 .

So now it keeps Tripping

icon

Best answer by Gwyndy 23 July 2021, 17:52

Hi  thank you for your reply but I don,t think its the dishwasher as it was working ok before .

Also the washing machine works ok and the tumble not that i use it at this time .

I even put the dishwasher on this morning when nothing else was being used and it did the same thing .

Do I need to change the fuse in the plug? 

Many thanks 

Nymph2472

Hi @nymph2472 

You need to contact an expert, either a washing machine repairman, or an electrician - personally I’d start with the repairman.

The basic process of elimination here, to my mind at least, is as follows:

Assuming you have them all on the same ring main; I’d guess you do, but can’t without seeing your system guarantee it, odds are if they are in the same room then they are, unless one is plugged into the cooker circuit.

Your Dishwasher trips the main fuse (presumably)
Your Washing Machine does not trip the main fuse 
Your Tumble Drier does not trip the main fuse.

This leaves two possibilities:

1: Your Dishwasher is broken and tripping the main fuses.

2: The socket your Dishwasher is plugged into is broken and tripping the mains fuses.

In theory at least, changing the fuse in your Dishwasher should make no difference (unless the fuse for your dishwasher is too high a rating) as it’s not blowing - your issue is bypassing it and tripping the mains fuse.

Please seek expert help, phone someone and get advice.

EDIT:
Based on “Just to say the dishwasher is plugged in to the cooker socket as I cant plug it in any were else.”

That should mean it’s plugged into a separate (normally 32 amp or 40 amp) circuit, onto which (in most instances) you only have the cooker, the hob, and one socket.
Try plugging a different appliance (high wattage such as a hairdryer) in:
If it trips, likely to be the socket or the ring.
If it doesn’t, likely to be the dishwasher.

View original

15 replies

@nymph2472 I assume you mean the IHD goes off and not the electric supply? If the latter then it sounds like a fault with the dishwasher. If it is just the display on the IHD try switching on another device that runs at high power and see what happens such as a washing machine or tumble drier. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@nymph2472 

I'm assuming that it's the fuse/RCD which is tripping, and not the meter itself.

Did the dishwasher cause any problems immediately after having the meter installed. I think it's just coincidence, and if it's only the dishwasher causing problems, it certainly points to a fault on the dishwasher

why does my meter go off when I put the dishwasher on I had a new meter put in on July 15th 2021 .

So now it keeps Tripping

In line with other answers:
Your meter shouldn’t ‘trip’ - because there’s nothing in your meter to that should cause it to trip before the consumer unit does.

Your Consumer Unit would ‘trip’ and if it’s your Consumer Unit that’s doing it, then there’s something wrong either with your dishwasher, or the circuit your dishwasher’s connected to - that tripping is deliberately designed to try and make sure you don’t get electrocuted.

Memory serves me (as I can’t check with mine)

Supply comes in.
Supply joins meter.
Meter joins consumer unit.
Ring main joins consumer unit.
Dishwasher is plugged into ring main.

So if your ‘meter’s tripping’ something’s seriously wrong, because the consumer unit should trip before it gets to the meter - is anything else plugged into the same sockets as the dishwasher ‘tripping’ the system? - have you plugged anything else into a socket in the same room?

So, really we need a better explanation of what exactly this means:

We need a bit more to go on @nymph2472…  

Hi  thank you for your reply but I don,t think its the dishwasher as it was working ok before .

Also the washing machine works ok and the tumble not that i use it at this time .

I even put the dishwasher on this morning when nothing else was being used and it did the same thing .

Many thanks 

Nymph2472

Hi again 

Just to say the dishwasher is plugged in to the cooker socket as I cant plug it in any were else.

Would this affect it .

Many thanks 

Nymoh2472

Many thanks 

Nymph2472

Hi @nymph2472 

You need to contact an expert, either a washing machine repairman, or an electrician - personally I’d start with the repairman.

The basic process of elimination here, to my mind at least, is as follows:

Assuming you have them all on the same ring main; I’d guess you do, but can’t without seeing your system guarantee it, odds are if they are in the same room then they are, unless one is plugged into the cooker circuit.

Your Dishwasher trips the main fuse (presumably)
Your Washing Machine does not trip the main fuse 
Your Tumble Drier does not trip the main fuse.

This leaves two possibilities:

1: Your Dishwasher is broken and tripping the main fuses.

2: The socket your Dishwasher is plugged into is broken and tripping the mains fuses.

In theory at least, changing the fuse in your Dishwasher should make no difference (unless the fuse for your dishwasher is too high a rating) as it’s not blowing - your issue is bypassing it and tripping the mains fuse.

Please seek expert help, phone someone and get advice.

EDIT:
Based on “Just to say the dishwasher is plugged in to the cooker socket as I cant plug it in any were else.”

That should mean it’s plugged into a separate (normally 32 amp or 40 amp) circuit, onto which (in most instances) you only have the cooker, the hob, and one socket.
Try plugging a different appliance (high wattage such as a hairdryer) in:
If it trips, likely to be the socket or the ring.
If it doesn’t, likely to be the dishwasher.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@nymph2472

I'm afraid it's just pure coincidence  that the fault appeared after the meter change.

If your washing machine and tumble dryer work without tripping, it must be a fault on your dishwasher. The tumble dryer will use approx 2500 watts, the dishwasher between 1200-2000 watts

Changing the fuse in the plug won't make any difference, the fault is internal within the machine. A common fault is a faulty or insecure heating element, but it's not something that you can check for yourself

@nymph2472 Its not the smart meter then.  The cooker socket is not the ideal place to plug it in as the cooker socket is not part of the ring main, not usually, and has a direct more powerful feed from the consumer unit.  

If you are able to try plugging the dishwasher into the ring main and see if the same happens. If the nearest plug is too far away use an extension lead BUT ONLY FOR THE PURPOSES OF THE TEST and check.

It sounds like a fault in the dishwasher. It really needs somebody with a bit of knowledge and a meter to check out the circuit. I suspect a meter may show, when connected to the pins on the plug, that it is bleeding to earth. It could be either the live or neutral wire. (“Neutral” is a misnomer for it is live).  

Modern consumer units are very sensitive and pick up neutral to earth connections. Changing the fuse will not cure it. The fuse is only there to protect you but clearly the trip switch in the consumer unit is more sensitive, hence the fuse is not blowing or it could be as said a neutral to earth leak.

If you are not familiar with electrics don’t play with it and get somebody who knows to check. It is a simple check. You may even find that the moulded plug has not been wired correctly. I have experienced that with a new appliance. Answer then is cut the plug off the end of the wire and fit a new one.

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply .

I will test it to see if that happens then if it happens I will get someone in to look at it .

Anyway thank you for your help 

Regards Nymph2472

Great advice from all! Let us know how you get on @nymph2472!

Sorry to be a pedant @G4RHL, but the fuse protects the flex or the supply. The consumer unit circuit breaker (if it’s modern) protects the humans. 😊 

I’m not convinced neutral is live either, but I wouldn’t feel like proving it by touching it either! 😃🤣

Great to hear back from you @nymph2472, good luck!

@25 no the fuse is to protect the user as well if in the now rare circumstances the fault does not trip the circuit breaker. Examples of such are when some idiot uses a 4 inch nail as a fuse in old style bakalight consumer units.

Yes, neutral is live. It’s an AC circuit with power alternating down the cables. If you touch the neutral to earth (in a modern installation) you may see a spark. I have grabbed hold of it and you get a tingle. Not recommended though.  Many times I will turn off the circuit breaker but that only feeds the live wire. Care is needed then working on the socket, connector etc for if you end up touching the neutral and earth you trip the whole system. Same if you grab it or catch it with your fingers and you “earth down” through your body. Sod’s law when that happens you are in the loft or the third floor and the consumer is downstairs. Yup, neutral is live.

Try telling that to the French @G4RHL. Most stuff tingles over there! Maybe neutrals are like pigs? Some a more equipotential than others?? I’d claim neutral’s are closer to earth than live, but I suppose that depends on how loud you scream when pinged (no, not told to isolate) — me, I’m a glass cracking screamer!

Still disagree about the fuse by the way — we’re talking fuse in the plug not the consumer unit, not that it matters. A human will trip long before a fuse will blow! 😉 30mA ≠ 3A

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

hi all

@nymph2472

There are a number of possible explanations.

First of all don’t change the fuse in the dishwasher plug, it has no relevance to the problem.

My first guess here is that it’s coincidence. (Further tests are required )Your fuseboard or consumer unit (the box with all the switches in it)  or more to the point YOU, is/are protected by an earth leakage breaker or residual current device (rcd). If that device detects an imbalance between the live and neutral flow it automatically trips and switches off the consumer unit or part of the unit depending on  what you have installed (some boards are split so the rcd only protects some of the circuits.).

In your case it’s detected there is an imbalance which means that some of the electricity is taking a different path to what it should do so it trips. That path could be through a human, which is why it’s there to protect you but in your case it’s most likely through the dishwasher to earth.

Dishwashers are notorious for this because there is water involved. 

If it’s tripping immediately there is probably a small leak, if it’s doing it a few mins after you start it, it might be the heater element. Either way you need to have it checked. 

2 Questions,

There are individual breakers in the consumer unit, does the switch which switches off the dishwasher also make any other sockets in the kitchen dead. Flick the breaker (NOT the RCD) off and see what doesn’t work.

It’s unlikely to have other sockets if it’s the cooker point.

Was the cooker on at all and does the cooker trip the electric?

If other appliances which are working normally go off, then that circuit is more than likely ok.

Second question, were there some days after the meter install where you used the dishwasher and it didn’t trip the rcd, if so the chances of it being linked to the meter are very much lower.

Neutral is not live but what looks like a neutral  can become live in certain circumstances. If you don’t understand or even if you think you do DO NOT TOUCH. (that isn’t patronising)

There is a second explanation which could involve the meter being changed but it’s unlikely (not impossible) and involves the installers disturbing the earth bonding or a problem with the connections, an electrician would need to test that.

If the dishwasher repair person does not find any electrical leakage in the dishwasher you would then get an electrician in to check the circuit back to the consumer unit and meter.

In the meanwhile to make things less fraught you could buy one of these or similar, and plug  your dishwasher in through that. Hopefully if it trips it won’t take your main rcd out and everything else should continue to work (not guaranteed though as to which rcd trips first).

however If it does trip I’d STOP USING THE DISHWASHER UNTIL IT’S BEEN TESTED

A good electrician should be able to test the circuit but I’d start with the dishwasher.

I’ve made a lot of assumptions in my reply,  stay safe and don’t mess with anything if you aren’t sure.