Solved

Direct debits for summer and winter

• 19 October 2017
  • 11 replies

Hi I was thinking of switching to pure planet but I saw when trying to switch you have a winter direct debit amount and a summer direct debit amount. Can I not just have the same direct debit amount for the whole 12 months?
icon

Best answer by GabrieL 20 October 2017, 15:44

Hi @laurayoung88. How are you?

In Pure Planet we don't have a flat rate direct debit amount. The payments flex to colder and warmer months to match usage and protect members from building up too much debt or too much credit.

Please Tap here to learn more about our direct debit plan.

Can I ask you why do you think this is an issue?

Thanks!
View original

11 replies

In Pure Planet we don't have a flat rate direct debit amount. The payments flex to colder and warmer months to match usage and protect members from building up too much debt or too much credit.

Thanks!
GabrieL;672:

Thanks!

Thank you for your reply I think this is an issue because having a higher winter rate is more money to try and find than dividing it into 12 equal monthly payments i know exactly what I use for the whole year and would find it easier paying the same amount
Userlevel 5
Hi @laurayoung88, if you keep sending us monthly meter readings, we'll review what you're using. If the usages are as as similar as you say, this should be reflected in what you'll pay 🙂
This is also causing me to think twice before switching. The problem is that a lot of people's income doesn't fluctuate between summer and winter months, so what you are doing causes a problem for peoples budgets. In all my years of experience paying energy bills, we expect to potentially build-up a credit over the summer which then gets used during the winter months, or vice versa. Don't force people into paying potentially substantially different amounts across a year, give them a choice, like others do.
I'd also like the option to average a flat rate over 12 months. My PP bill is £50 difference between summer and winter. I'd much rather have a flat rate; if sending meter readings is easy with the app, the estimated profile of usage for 12 months should be adjusted quite easily to account for a flat rate. So far I like Pure Planet, but this niggle is in my opinion a big set-back for many people who can't afford the flexibility of payment changes to change.
Userlevel 5
Hi @Simon28 and @AnonUser, thanks very much for your thoughts on this! I shall be sure to share them with the team in my next round up of community feedback. Would the summer/winter month difference be easier to handle if your credit build-up was automatically used for the winter months?
Toby,

Thanks for responding. I would just expect the forecast annual usage to be split evenly over a year, as has been normal for many other energy suppliers in the past, or at least the choice to do so. If this means a credit is built-up over the summer months, or even a debt over the winter months, over the year everything should generally work-out.

Thanks,

Simon.
@Toby, it needs to be forecast for the year and set-up accordingly, as credit won't be built up for customers who start in the summer months, they'll have a debit on their account. For example, if my forecast for 6/6 months is £100 and £150 per month for summer/winter, I'd rather pay £125 flat for the year.
Userlevel 5
Thanks for this @AnonUser, really useful! When/if we review our charge process, I shall let the community and may also reach out to you to get some more feedback 🙂.

Don't hesitate to let us know about anything else you think we could look at more closely.

So this last post was 2 years ago are you now able to offer a flat rate 

thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @Marklap 

PP still has the same system in place, you pay a little less in the summer and a little more in the winter.