Solved

Can i switch to pure planet ?

Userlevel 1

I am currently with boost(OVO), ive lost trust in the company because of the changes they intend to make, im concidering a switch...but i have smets 1 meters for gas and electric..how do i change suppliers ?, Can anyone help !

icon

Best answer by woz 16 October 2020, 01:15

hi @Ravens loft 

Your tariff doesn’t appear  to be dual rate as far as I can tell, I think your issue is you’re apprehensive about switching, but there is nothing to it. 

I  presume you don’t have a pre-payment meter? (the photos seem to verify that’s the case?) I’m asking because the tariff name is called PAYG? If you do post back for further advice.

The only thing you need to be careful of is to check that your existing tariff doesn’t have penalties for switching out, if it does they can’t be charged if you switch 49 days or less from the end of your fixed contract if it is a fixed contract. 

As I said and @Duppy ‘s answer too either go the mse site I linked to above or simply get a quote at purepla.net.

There is  Lots of info about how to join

It will take up to 6 weeks before your existing supplier produces a final bill, you’ll take 17 days to switch from when you start the switch,  you’ll pay 2 suppliers for a short while until your final bill is produced but you’ll get any overpayment back. 

If you need further help/advice post back.

If you have a mobile phone or tablet download the PP app but  you can run the account from your computer.

and make sure you verify the account or your switch won’t happen (you’ll get an email)

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Ravens loft

What are the changes? Are you on a fixed or variable tariff?

are you on a single rate tariff or is there some timed heating? 

if it’s straightforward single rate just go to a comparison site (mse cheap energy club is the one I use) and fill in your details. If happy with your quote verify the switch and that’s (more or less) all there is to it.

(If you don’t want to use a comp site you could just get a quote online but the incentive situation is different unless you can find someone to give you a referral code)

Post back with more info about your tariff if it’s complicated.

Userlevel 1

Smart PAYG+ Variable

Electric Unit:- 16.59p/kwh  Standing 28.29p/per day

Gas Unit:- 2.88p/kwh  Standing 36.18p/per day

My meters are smets 1 for both supplies.

Ive viewed a deal with pure planet that is conciderably cheaper, yet i dont know if i can switch to it !, I pressume its direct debit monthly, how can i change to it, plus ive roughly £65 in the duel fuel pot !🤔

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 1

Smart PAYG+ Variable

Electric Unit:- 16.59p/kwh  Standing 28.29p/per day

Gas Unit:- 2.88p/kwh  Standing 36.18p/per day

My meters are smets 1 for both supplies.

Ive viewed a deal with pure planet that is conciderably cheaper, yet i dont know if i can switch to it !, I pressume its direct debit monthly, how can i change to it, plus ive roughly £65 in the duel fuel pot !🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Ravens loft .

Providing that you are not locked into a contract with you present supplier, there is nothing to stop you switching.

Have a look at this link, it gives information on how to join

https://community.purepla.net/switching-supplier-30/getting-a-quote-with-pure-planet-10296

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @Ravens loft 

Your tariff doesn’t appear  to be dual rate as far as I can tell, I think your issue is you’re apprehensive about switching, but there is nothing to it. 

I  presume you don’t have a pre-payment meter? (the photos seem to verify that’s the case?) I’m asking because the tariff name is called PAYG? If you do post back for further advice.

The only thing you need to be careful of is to check that your existing tariff doesn’t have penalties for switching out, if it does they can’t be charged if you switch 49 days or less from the end of your fixed contract if it is a fixed contract. 

As I said and @Duppy ‘s answer too either go the mse site I linked to above or simply get a quote at purepla.net.

There is  Lots of info about how to join

It will take up to 6 weeks before your existing supplier produces a final bill, you’ll take 17 days to switch from when you start the switch,  you’ll pay 2 suppliers for a short while until your final bill is produced but you’ll get any overpayment back. 

If you need further help/advice post back.

If you have a mobile phone or tablet download the PP app but  you can run the account from your computer.

and make sure you verify the account or your switch won’t happen (you’ll get an email)

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Ravens loft

IMPORTANT      yes       IMPORTANT

If you don’t top up does your electric stop working?

I’m asking because if that’s the case you’ll need to ask BOOST to change the meter to credit mode. They can’t refuse but I’ll bet they make it difficult…

PP can’t take you on if you have a PAYG meter.

I just looked at BOOST’s website and it seems to imply that if you don’t top up your meter will switch the supply off. 

If I’m wrong I apologise I only looked briefly.

And make sure you keep the top up as low as you can and that they refund you when they switch the meter..

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

duplicated post intentionally @Nataly  can you merge this posters threads I’m also getting DM’s so everything is in triplicate!!! I can’t cope...arghhh...

IMPORTANT      yes       IMPORTANT

If you don’t top up does your electric stop working?

I’m asking because if that’s the case you’ll need to ask BOOST to change the meter to credit mode. They can’t refuse but I’ll bet they make it difficult…

PP can’t take you on if you have a PAYG meter.

I just looked at BOOST’s website and it seems to imply that if you don’t top up your meter will switch the supply off. 

If I’m wrong I apologise I only looked briefly.

And make sure you keep the top up as low as you can and that they refund you when they switch the meter..

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @woz 

I think that's the whole point of pay as you go meters, if you run out of credit you can set an emergency mode until you can top up, but any usage is subtracted from any top up you make. If you don't top up, yes the electric/gas will cut off.

Hey @Ravens loft 
Just to let you know I’ve merged your posts together - having duplicates can get confusing! Keeping everything in one place also makes it easier to see all the great advice you’ve received from other Members - nice one @woz @Duppy :slight_smile:

Userlevel 1

@Nataly 

Thanks for sorting out my mess lol, im beginning to get the hang of it now😉

Userlevel 1

@woz 

As it goes, ive done some research, boost automaticaly switch meters to credit mode day before compleation of the switch, saying that..most energy companys tend to focus more on the electric than gas..so i hope they actually do both at the same time, im waiting till next jan-feb before i commit to a switch..need to learn a bit more on whats best !👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@woz

As it goes, ive done some research, boost automaticaly switch meters to credit mode day before compleation of the switch, saying that..most energy companys tend to focus more on the electric than gas..so i hope they actually do both at the same time, im waiting till next jan-feb before i commit to a switch..need to learn a bit more on whats best !👍

Best in what way?

If it’s £££ That’s what comparison sites are for, however..

Only you can make the decision as to:

1. Whether you  should select a variable tariff or a fixed
  2. How important the ethical and green credentials of the company  are.
  3. Whether you think it likely the company will go under (as lots have done)

I wouldn’t dream of trying to sway you on any of those points.

Good luck whatever you decide and thank you for the update, it will be useful for others to know that.

If it goes according to plan you won’t lose your supply (if the meter isn’t switched to credit mode you could, I’ve seen it happen but it’s rare) but  in any event PP do have an emergency option and there is also the priority register if you can’t read your meter or consider that you might suffer from one or more vulnerabilities.(not suggesting you do just letting you know!)