Solved

can anyone help explain some unusual readings on my smart meter?

• 11 January 2021
  • 1 reply

I had a smart meter installed in Oct and it’s been pretty stable and sensible (only jumping up when something is turned on e.g. kettle or oven etc). But recently it’s been jumping around and showing high readings even when there is nothing switched on except my usual background load (fridge, freezer etc). I checked everything else was off (including the heating!), I’ve restarted the meter and even changed where it’s plugged in but I’m still seeing the odd behaviour. Any ideas anyone?

icon

Best answer by Gwyndy 11 January 2021, 21:20

I had a smart meter installed in Oct and it’s been pretty stable and sensible (only jumping up when something is turned on e.g. kettle or oven etc). But recently it’s been jumping around and showing high readings even when there is nothing switched on except my usual background load (fridge, freezer etc). I checked everything else was off (including the heating!), I’ve restarted the meter and even changed where it’s plugged in but I’m still seeing the odd behaviour. Any ideas anyone?

Hi @PPSarah 

From everything you describe, you aren’t looking at ‘the smart meter’ - you are looking at the ‘In-Home-Display’, which receives data from the Smart Meter, but is not the meter itself - it’s possible that the ‘In-Home-Display’ itself is faulty, or it could just be that it’s picking up slightly delayed information.

If you press the ‘Home’ at the bottom of the display and select ‘System Status’ using  ‘< >’ to select and ‘o’ to enter, can you select the statuses for electricity meter (shown as a ‘lightning strike’), and connection (a ‘set of signal bars’) and see if there are any error messages listed?  

Kindest Regards
Gwyndy

View original

1 reply

Hi @PPSarah 

From everything you describe, you aren’t looking at ‘the smart meter’ - you are looking at the ‘In-Home-Display’, which receives data from the Smart Meter, but is not the meter itself - it’s possible that the ‘In-Home-Display’ itself is faulty, or it could just be that it’s picking up slightly delayed information.

If you press the ‘Home’ at the bottom of the display and select ‘System Status’ using  ‘< >’ to select and ‘o’ to enter, can you select the statuses for electricity meter (shown as a ‘lightning strike’), and connection (a ‘set of signal bars’) and see if there are any error messages listed?  

Kindest Regards
Gwyndy