Solved

Broken meters

• 8 August 2019
  • 6 replies

Both my gas and electric meters will not give me a reading no matter what button I press what should I do?
icon

Best answer by Nataly 16 August 2019, 11:21

Hey @elliemaybelle

Have you got SMETS1 meters?

These meters go 'dumb' when you switch suppliers which means the screens go blank until 'woken up' by pressing the keypad buttons - often the '9' or '6' (more info on the FAQ Marc linked to☝)

Hope that helps?

If pressing those buttons doesn't work, you can get in touch with our Member Services team via WattBot in your account and let them know your meter screens are blank. They'll then be able to let you know the next steps 🆙
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hi ellie
well if you’ve tried all the buttons 9, a, b, 6 etc and the displays remain blank there’s not a lot you can do other than go to help ask wattbot and ask pp to arrange a visit from a friendly meter basher. Type message the team and ask.
I must say i’m not a great believer in coincidence, it’s odd that they have both failed...
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi ellie, as said I don't do coincidence, so later considered update...before you do that (ask for a call out) can you find someone else who might have magic fingers to have a quick look and double check that both meters have failed?

woz;34923:
Hi ellie
well if you’ve tried all the buttons 9, a, b, 6 etc and the displays remain blank there’s not a lot you can do other than go to help ask wattbot and ask pp to arrange a visit from a friendly meter basher. Type message the team and ask.
I must say i’m not a great believer in coincidence, it’s odd that they have both failed...
elliemaybelle;34922:
Both my gas and electric meters will not give me a reading no matter what button I press what should I do?

Hi @elliemaybelle
Have you seen our guides in the community's FAQs section?
Here's a guide for 'old' meters.
And here's a guide for taking readings from smart meters.

Hope these help 🆙
Hi unfortunately this is of no help, I know how to read the metres, they are just not displaying any readings since I switched to Pure Planet so I have never been able to give a reading.
Hey @elliemaybelle

Have you got SMETS1 meters?

These meters go 'dumb' when you switch suppliers which means the screens go blank until 'woken up' by pressing the keypad buttons - often the '9' or '6' (more info on the FAQ Marc linked to☝)

Hope that helps?

If pressing those buttons doesn't work, you can get in touch with our Member Services team via WattBot in your account and let them know your meter screens are blank. They'll then be able to let you know the next steps 🆙
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi elliemaybelle
​What are they displaying (if anything)?
elliemaybelle;34976:
Hi unfortunately this is of no help, I know how to read the metres, they are just not displaying any readings since I switched to Pure Planet so I have never been able to give a reading.