Solved

Blank readings on gas & elec meters

• 13 February 2020
  • 5 replies

Have smart meter fitted from previous provider. Not been given one from Pure Planet. Both my gas & elec meters are blank where reading should be & no data on smart meter. Have unplugged old smart meter & pressed 'A' on the meters - no change. How can I check my estimated usage???
icon

Best answer by Nataly 17 February 2020, 12:25

Hey @karenandian

We have guides in our FAQs on how to read your meters, which may help!

Whenever you switch suppliers your meters go 'dumb' - there are plans to make them smart again during 2020, there's more info on that here!

So, for now, you just need to make sure you take your readings from the meters themselves, not the in-home display.

Hope that helps!
View original

5 replies

Hey @karenandian

We have guides in our FAQs on how to read your meters, which may help!

Whenever you switch suppliers your meters go 'dumb' - there are plans to make them smart again during 2020, there's more info on that here!

So, for now, you just need to make sure you take your readings from the meters themselves, not the in-home display.

Hope that helps!

How do I get readings from blank meters?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Tinastamper 

The meters need to be woken by pressing a button, which can vary depending on the make of meter, but it's usually A or 9

Thank you. I think the whole system is ridiculously difficult. They need to get a move on with Smart meters so it is no longer necessary to send readings every month. As I get older it’s getting more difficult to get onto my hands and knees to get down to see the meter display which also moves on too fast for me to read now. I’m seriously considering returning to my previous supplier for this reason alone!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thank you. I think the whole system is ridiculously difficult. They need to get a move on with Smart meters so it is no longer necessary to send readings every month. As I get older it’s getting more difficult to get onto my hands and knees to get down to see the meter display which also moves on too fast for me to read now. I’m seriously considering returning to my previous supplier for this reason alone!

@Tinastamper 

hi Tina(?)

I agree that “they” do need to get a move on, the upgrades for 1st gen meters to make them readable have been constantly delayed.

A couple of comments: if you struggle to read your meter you can add yourself to the Priority Services Register and PP will send a meter reader 2 or 3 times a year.
Alternatively if you were to just miss sending the odd reading during the year it won’t matter too much as it will estimate then catch up next time you submit, so you could lessen the need to get on hands knees (and bumpsydaisy) by a good few times a year.

There’s no guarantee that your previous supplier will be able to get it working as it was before you switched, I’d certainly check with them first before you jump ship.  Also if they are more expensive you’d need to decide if it’s worth paying the extra for the convenience of automatic readings, but only you can make that choice.