Age UK: Energy price rises will leave many elderly in crisis.

• 13 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 13666 replies

I was going to add to this post, but decided on a new post instead.

here’s a link to the Age UK article.

The crisis will affect all ages who have low incomes but is particularly worrying for the elderly many of whom are more susceptible to hypothermia because of lower body fat, metabolic ageing changes and poorer health than younger people (a big generalisation I know it doesn’t apply to all)

I’m not surprised at the lack of response because let’s face it there is little that can be done by us other than looking out for anyone you think might be affected and berating the lack of meaningful fix by the government whose insistence that they have put measures in place which will mitigate this rise for the most vulnerable is yet another example of elastic veracity , 

So let’s just hope no one dies and the NHS can cope.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

These posts are getting more and more depressing :(

Badge +5

Reading the AGE UK article the position may be worse than they outline for they focus on affordability for those on the current State Pension but that only came in in 2016 - £179.60 per week. There are an awful lot more receiving less than this.

The solution is not a simple one, particularly if one wants to avoid benefiting those who can afford an increase. Perhaps a special allowance for those whose income is at or below the minimum hourly rate or living wage. This could be done by adjusting the tax code for those paying tax. For those who aren’t, those AgeUk refers to, then an equivalent cash payment. If we can administer three doses of a vaccination to nearly all the population in record time then it cannot be too difficult to achieve something like this. Paid for perhaps with a windfall tax on the producers for they will be making greater profit from the prices whilst their costs of production will not be increasing at the same rate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

These posts are getting more and more depressing :(

@Lapa 

Yes I know,  it’s probably  best to ignore them. I will and I wrote them…

So I’m now ignoring myself…

wait a minute, isn’t that bullying?

It is. I shall have to complain to myself for ignoring me.

@G4RHL 

The solution is not a simple one, particularly if one wants to avoid benefiting those who can afford an increase”.

On what basis are you going to choose who can and who can’t afford it? 

That was rhetorical,  because if discussed we will inevitably open a can of dragons. My gut instinct tells me it’s best avoided.