Question

account in credit and being back billed over 12 months

• 4 April 2021
  • 8 replies

I moved to where I have this account in September 2018. I get monthly bills for gas and electric and always show in debit. I recall in Feb 2019 I got a small refund. However now I'm nearly £600 in credit! 

I've been informed they are going to back bill this but I've had no contact now since beginning of march and I domt want to keep paying if I'm in credit because I'm also being made redundant.

Any suggestions 

8 replies

I moved to where I have this account in September 2018. I get monthly bills for gas and electric and always show in debit. I recall in Feb 2019 I got a small refund. However now I'm nearly £600 in credit! 

I've been informed they are going to back bill this but I've had no contact now since beginning of march and I domt want to keep paying if I'm in credit because I'm also being made redundant.

Any suggestions 

Hi @Suzibear79 

Welcome to the Pure Planet community.

Your post leaves a lot of unanswered questions, perhaps you could expand without providing personally identifiable information?

1: I get monthly bills for gas and electric and always show in debit. ~
Your account should, in theory at least, be in credit by at least one monthly direct debit value at each statement (unless the dates cross.) Also bear in mind, your statements (not bills) could show some degree of fluctuating into Credit/Debit (even with Pure Planet’s 60/40 split) simply because the Direct Debit should amount to approximately your annual usage every 12 months, not your actual billed amount each month.

Are you submitting readings yourself every month?

Also bear in mind, your statements (not bills) should show some degree of fluctuating into Credit/Debit (even with Pure Planet’s 60/40 split) simply because the Direct Debit should amount to approximately your annual usage every 12 months.

2: I recall in Feb 2019 I got a small refund. However now I'm nearly £600 in credit! 
If you got a small refund in Feb 2019, you should have received 6 monthly account review in approximately August 2019, February 2020, and August 2020 - do you remember those reviews, did your payments increase or decrease?

3: I've been informed they are going to back bill this:
Honestly, I don’t know what ‘back bill’ means, normally when you are in credit by over £30 at an account review, the excess should be refunded to your bank account. When was your last review? 

4: This statement I get monthly bills for gas and electric and always show in debit” and this statement “However now I'm nearly £600 in credit!”  appear to contradict each other, were you always showing in debit, and you’ve now received a ‘Consolidated bill?’ because Pure Planet had no readings? Have you been away from home, but still paying your standard Direct Debit?

5: I've had no contact now since beginning of March regarding what, refunding your credit balance? That should happen automatically if you’ve had an account review.

6:  I do[n’]t want to keep paying if I'm in credit: Pure Planet’s standard practice, as I’ve mentioned earlier is to refund any excessive credit, not hang on to it to cover future direct debit amounts, you would need to contact Member Services to see if they would consider any other options.

7: I'm also being made redundant: Sorry to hear that, Pure Planet supports the Stepchange debt charity, who may be able to advise you.

Kindest regards

Gwyndy

1: I get monthly bills for gas and electric and always show in debit. ~
Your account should, in theory at least, be in credit by at least one monthly direct debit value at each statement (unless the dates cross.) Also bear in mind, your statements (not bills) could show some degree of fluctuating into Credit/Debit (even with Pure Planet’s 60/40 split) simply because the Direct Debit should amount to approximately your annual usage every 12 months, not your actual billed amount each month.

Are you submitting readings yourself every month?

Also bear in mind, your statements (not bills) should show some degree of fluctuating into Credit/Debit (even with Pure Planet’s 60/40 split) simply because the Direct Debit should amount to approximately your annual usage every 12 months.

Oh dear, I’m repeating myself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’m liking your in depth procedure notes our Gwynd, repetition or not 👍👍🤣🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Suzibear79 

I’d contact them by wattbot, explain the situation and suggest the following:

You can’t “not pay” so ask them to temporarily reduce your DD by an agreed amount straight away, then, when the full recalculation is complete depending on what it says, you can then agree a mutually satisfactory payment plan.

Sorry to hear of your redundancy, it always comes with the usual bs about it not being personal….still you don’t know where it may take you.

Hi guys 

Thanks for replying. This is the thing I've given readings most months never ever shown in credit. When I contacted pure planet at the beginning of the month they said they would have to back bill everything to make sure I have been charged correctly. 

Someone did come out too to check the meter. The last account review was Feb 2020 and I got about £120 back then. This one was done in Feb and i am now £597 in credit. Tried to work it out but I can't. 

I don't pay much monthly as I also live alon

I've emailed to chase it up and gone on wat bot but still no reply. Just want to know what is happening really.

I've emailed to chase it up and gone on wat bot but still no reply. Just want to know what is happening really.

Unfortunately, as The Community has no access to account information, we can’t really help you with that.
Only Pure Planet Member Services can tell you what they are doing, and they can only really be contacted via WattBot using ‘Message the Team’ or email to  Help@purepla.net (email’s slower than WattBot.)

‘Back bill’ may refer to a ‘Consolidated Statement’ in which Pure Planet replace your existing statement(s) with a new ‘recalculated’ one if they think there’s been an error in one, or more, of the readings - although as you’ve been submitting readings, I’m not convinced of this.

This may explain why you’ve not heard anything since March, going back through every statement, and every reading, whether actual or estimated, to identify where the issue started, and what it’s ongoing effects are, may be a very long process.

I also assume that as Pure Planet issue recalculated statements, that this probably also has to be checked to some degree by external organisations, as it messes up things like your historic usage records - Pure Planet can’t just say ‘oh you’ve been overcharged 500 units, they basically have to say:
Your bill for month 1 is out 40 units.
Your bill for month 2 is out 47 units.

etc. taking the fact that people (generally speaking) use more energy October - March, than April - September into account.

Yes that all makes sense. As each bill I got on email I was never in credit. Until February which has had loads of credits added on to it. I know with back billing they can only re bill 12 months worth anything past thst they cannot charge me if its wrong and due their error. They have to report their findings to ofgem just having been given any idea on how long this process takes. They will be going back to September 2018 as on the app that is only statement that exists yet I got one every month.

.I emailed them last week to see how long they anticipate but no response as of yet.

Thanks

Suzanne 

They will be going back to September 2018 as on the app that is only statement that exists yet I got one every month.

I emailed them last week to see how long they anticipate but no response as of yet.

Thanks

Suzanne 

Oh dear, that’s going to be a major recalculation @Nataly kindly posted a copy of the cover email you should receive with your new statement, it should look like this: