Solved

A metre installment

• 2 July 2018
  • 2 replies

Hello I live above a shop and have been sharing the same electric supply with just one meter but now I have my own electric cable put in the only thing I haven't got is a meter so my question is would pure planet supply me with a meter when I sign up
Thank you
icon

Best answer by woz 3 July 2018, 02:03

Annmari;7947:
Hello I live above a shop and have been sharing the same electric supply with just one meter but now I have my own electric cable put in the only thing I haven't got is a meter so my question is would pure planet supply me with a meter when I sign up
Thank you

Hi Annmari
The short answer is PP can't, however please read on.
Like jon I don't really understand what you mean by "I have my own electric cable"

Do you own the property or do you rent? If you rent then the landlord should be organising this.
Who has organised the split so that you can put in a separate meter?
Did you or anyone get a electrical certificate or paperwork for the re-cabling or for what has been done?
Is the meter going in your property or the shop? If it's going in the shop you'll have to discuss with them also. Even if it isn't going in the shop, unless the two supplies are separate the shop may need to be disconnected while you have the work done
Was the work done by a qualified electrician?
If so he/she should be able to help you organise a
meter install.
In any event presuming you are still connected to the original meter I would think you'll need to have the electrician present when the new meter is fitted to change over your wiring. Ask him/her.

I would think your situation is similar to having a first meter fitted, in which case it will have to be done by one of the big 6 power companies, PP can't do it.
Soon after you've had it fitted you will be able to switch to PP - you may need to wait a short while after its been fitted (perhaps 2 weeks?) Whoever supplies the meter will confirm this

There is a guide to who the big 6 are HERE

Also please see links here for E.on or SSE or Scot. Power or BG
I couldn't easily find links for EDF or NPower.
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Sorry not quite sure i understand you.
You and shop shared the meter and i presume the bill.
Now you have a cable put in but no seperate meter? Am i to take it you have no electric now or are you still connected to the shop?
Who fitted the cable and why did they not organise a meter to be fitted at the same time as surly this would of been done by the distribution company.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Annmari;7947:
Thank you

Hi Annmari
The short answer is PP can't, however please read on.
Like jon I don't really understand what you mean by "I have my own electric cable"

Do you own the property or do you rent? If you rent then the landlord should be organising this.
Who has organised the split so that you can put in a separate meter?
Did you or anyone get a electrical certificate or paperwork for the re-cabling or for what has been done?
Is the meter going in your property or the shop? If it's going in the shop you'll have to discuss with them also. Even if it isn't going in the shop, unless the two supplies are separate the shop may need to be disconnected while you have the work done
Was the work done by a qualified electrician?
If so he/she should be able to help you organise a
meter install.
In any event presuming you are still connected to the original meter I would think you'll need to have the electrician present when the new meter is fitted to change over your wiring. Ask him/her.

I would think your situation is similar to having a first meter fitted, in which case it will have to be done by one of the big 6 power companies, PP can't do it.
Soon after you've had it fitted you will be able to switch to PP - you may need to wait a short while after its been fitted (perhaps 2 weeks?) Whoever supplies the meter will confirm this

There is a guide to who the big 6 are HERE

Also please see links here for E.on or SSE or Scot. Power or BG
I couldn't easily find links for EDF or NPower.