When were you born?

I don’t mean the year.

I mean your atmospheric CO2 parts per million. What was it when you came into being?

I was born at 324 CO2 parts per million. (I’ll let you work out the month and year from that!) You’ll see it used more and more on Twitter bios, for example, as a way for people to show their concern about the climate emergency.

The levels of CO2 and other greenhouse gases in our atmosphere have been climbing fast. We’re at 417 CO2 ppm today. That’s 50% up from pre-industrial levels. Scientists have shown that this rapid rise has put us in a dangerous place and that it’s accelerating climate change. 

A great blog has been published by Richard Betts of the Met Office about this today. 

The global benchmark for carbon dioxide in our atmosphere is measured at Mauna Loa in Hawaii. 

It took over 200 years to 1986 to climb by 25%. By 2011 – 25 years later – the increase reached 40%. Now after one more decade it is reaching 50%. 

Knowing what the CO2 PPM number was at our birth helps remind us of our own impact on the climate.

So, when were you born? The chart on this page should help you find an answer. 

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

325.88 so just a few months after you, Steven. To see how much it’s risen since, quite astonishing 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳! Really interesting! Thank you 👍👍👍👏👏👏

328.07 so, I’m a year or so after you @Bev  and @Steven Day. When you consider the World population has more than doubled since 1970, I guess were lucky that the levels aren’t far higher already.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I estimate mine to be around 200

It’s been downhill ever since...

(and I’m not falling for the old d.o.b by stealth...)

I shouldn’t joke, the rate of change is frightening.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

There mustn't have been any CO2 pollution when I was born, the chart doesn't go back far enough

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

LOL LOL LOL LOL 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍Just pure air eh Duppy 👍👍👍👍🤣🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

To be honest I don't really remember that many cars about, there were very few in the road I lived. And  the estate that I lived in was virtually in the countryside, with farmers fields and a small forest with a pond the other side of " the brook " a small stream that was part of the river Alt  Now all built over of course

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Sounds idyllic actually, Duppy 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It was Bev,, just too young to really appreciate it

To be honest I don't really remember that many cars about, there were very few in the road I lived. And  the estate that I lived in was virtually in the countryside, with farmers fields and a small forest with a pond the other side of " the brook " a small stream that was part of the river Alt  Now all built over of course

This sounds gorgeous @Duppy, especially the pond and stream. A shame it’s all been built over! 

I found the temperature data really interesting, if a little scary - with the hottest January in 2020 at an increase of 1.15°C :confused:

On a less serious note… I just know you’ll go and figure it out if I give you my CO2 parts per million number! :wink: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I dunno, our Duppy, I think we look back on our childhoods NOW and appreciate so much more, what we had then 👍. Yes we took it for granted that playing out in safe fields all day long til dark, was the norm, and always would be, but at least we had it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hee hee, that’s the idea Nat, we’re all revealing our ages. You’re only 12 so nothing to fear 🤣🤣🤣

There mustn't have been any CO2 pollution when I was born, the chart doesn't go back far enough

@Duppy i have the same issue!

@Duppy and as kids we would stand on railway bridges waiting for steam trains to pass under getting covered in smoke and soot! I can remember a London smog and going there in the train seeing row upon row of houses belching out coal smoke from the chimneys. 🚂 🚂 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Oooooooooh you’re making me go goosy bumpy with my love of The Railway Children 💕🚂💕, Rich! Just to have lived even one day in that kind of environment, would be magical 👍👍👍👍💕

@Bev we loved the trains, and of course as kids recorded their numbers. Weekdays the line near us was used for freight but on Sundays it was the diversion line for themain line North whilst they did repairs to it. Saw all the old faithfuls, Flying Scotsman etc. Easy to see how the engineers looked on them as animate objects, their pride and joy. The steam engines spewed out a distinctive smell which we loved! The railway embankments used to catch fire!🔥 In the early 50s though London was filthy. Hard to think I am only 21!!!!😁🚂

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Oh beautiful anecdotes, Rich, truly special, I know my dad did similar re the numbers, he still has his little book 💕👍. Ah thanks for sharing Rich, just so so delightful to hear 👍👍👍👍👏🚂

I dunno, our Duppy, I think we look back on our childhoods NOW and appreciate so much more, what we had then 👍. Yes we took it for granted that playing out in safe fields all day long til dark, was the norm, and always would be, but at least we had it.

It is just as safe today as it was then. Why we think it isn’t is because the media make it so and that is only because of more reporting on incidents. The flashers, wife beaters, husband beaters, sexual assaults, incest, whether father and daughter or mother and son, the fondling of young people by so called perverts and indeed homosexuality for that was a criminal offence until the late 1960s. An offence for men but not for women. Distinctly odd was that.  It all existed. In the early days of my professional career I came across it regularly. More got away with it in past years as well. Like you, as a child I would go out and play in the woods with friends, make camps, climb trees and yes our parents would warn us about known unsavoury people who could be around. I suspected it was even worse than today a 100 years or so ago.

But we did go outside to play, often all day, fresh air, healthy, make believe play time. No computer games nor for many, TVs. I had a friend whose parents bought a TV, they thought  it the best. Yet it had a 9 inch screen was black & white and a big magnifying glass was stood in front of it. But we watched the Lone Ranger and Tonto! Mobile phones were two Heinz 57 bake bean cans connected by a piece of taught string! White goods, cars, electricity and petrol were all dearer then than today. 

No. Methuselah is not my name!

But good news this week the Government have told me my Old Age Pension is to go up to £142.65 per week in April! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Special birthday then, later this year, @DJGShef? 🤷‍♀️😛👍🎉🎉🎉🎉

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Another antediluvian here (a couple of years off the chart)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣bless you Schase, you don't look a day over thirty 😁👍