What's the most you'd pay for a plastic bag?

• 1 September 2020
  • 43 replies

• Community Manager
  • 7584 replies

It’s been a few years since the introduction of charging to get plastic bags in shops.

Feels like a long time ago that we were given ‘free’ bags whenever we wanted.

The BBC is reporting that the cost of plastic bags will rise to 10p from next April. And it’ll also apply to all shops, not just the big chains.

Probably a good thing, and another small change to get us to think more about reducing plastic usage.

Got me thinking though - how much would people be prepared to pay for a plastic bag at the shops? 20p? £1?

43 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Nor ours, I find it soooo bizarre!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Does this count?

Disclaimer: I don’t buy the Mirror (not that I’m implying it’s anything to be ashamed of...)

I've only purchased 1 on the last two years(ish)

I bought reusable bag at B&Q. It’s massive! I could get in it!

Pics or it didn’t happen :wink::laughing:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I’ve purchased exactly one plastic bag in the past decade (about five years ago when I went to pick up a new pair of trousers that had been altered and didn’t realise I’d need to pay for a bag).

I almost always carry several shopping bags with me (neatly folded up in my shoulder bag). One of them (pictured here) dates from 1996 and is still going strong!

Shopping bag purchased 1996 and still going strong in 2021. Photo from 2013

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Amazing Schase 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳, you should be proud 👍👍👏👏♻️

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’ve purchased exactly one plastic bag in the past decade (about five years ago when I went to pick up a new pair of trousers that had been altered and didn’t realise I’d need to pay for a bag).

I almost always carry several shopping bags with me (neatly folded up in my shoulder bag). One of them (pictured here) dates from 1996 and is still going strong!

Shopping bag purchased 1996 and still going strong in 2021. Photo from 2013

Big up for @schase !

That’s amazing @schase, I’m very impressed! Long may it last :laughing:

Good idea to always have some in your bag, too. The times I get caught out are when I completely didn’t expect to go shopping… but somehow always do. Anyone else?:sweat_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Yes last week Nat. Always take backpack, with two hessian type strong bags for hands. Purposefully didn’t take 🎒or the two Hessiens inside, as had appointment first so wanted to be bag free. 

Popped supermarket on way home impulsively just for TV guide, but as always, got few bits too, so needed bags. First time had to buy strong bags in absolute ages, but like the way there’s always a good choice under tills 👍👍👍

I can get caught out when I am out and about (with no bag) and realise I need to run into Sainsbury’s for a few bits. I live so close by I usually try and cradle everything in my arms and carry it home - I may look a bit silly (and put a few dents in my apple juice) but its better than getting plastic bags when I have reusable ones at home!

@schase I will take a leaf out of your excellent book and pop a little folded up tote bag inside all of my handbags.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

LOL re dents in your Apple juice, Mads 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I can get caught out when I am out and about (with no bag) and realise I need to run into Sainsbury’s for a few bits. I live so close by I usually try and cradle everything in my arms and carry it home - I may look a bit silly (and put a few dents in my apple juice) but its better than getting plastic bags when I have reusable ones at home!

@schase I will take a leaf out of your excellent book and pop a little folded up tote bag inside all of my handbags.

One doesn’t even need those bags designed to be folded up. Here you can see how, with judicious folding, my three current shopping bags are small enough to take everywhere (I use worn Morrisons ‘bag for life’ is only as an extra inner receptacle for frozen food when shlepping the groceries home.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Mads 

I keep a folded bag with an elastic band around it in each of coats, and some in the car.

It’s taken several years of training to get me to this stage, and in the interests of equality I have to point out that more women than men carry handbags so there’s a gender imbalance at play here...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I don’t. I don’t like handbags, but I did buy a new fanny pack today our Wozeeta 👍👍👍👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Bev that almost proves my point, depending on what you mean.

As I’m unsure on this one I’ll be going to the shops and asking the following question.

“Hello I’d like to buy a fanny pack to wear over my fanny, do you have anything suitable? I’d like one that’s not made of plastic…”

I’ll let you know how I get on if I survive.

Warning, this post may self destruct.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I do the elastic band 'thing' as well @woz  - roll the bag up first, then hold together with the elastic band, works a treat.

I’ll practise my bag origami and follow suit!

One doesn’t even need those bags designed to be folded up. Here you can see how, with judicious folding, my three current shopping bags are small enough to take everywhere (I use worn Morrisons ‘bag for life’ is only as an extra inner receptacle for frozen food when shlepping the groceries home.

This is brilliant @schase Good for you!

Did you ever have one of those plastic bags that was filled to bursting with other plastic bags? I did, dozens and dozens of them. Good to see that consigned to history.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

This is brilliant @schase Good for you!

Did you ever have one of those plastic bags that was filled to bursting with other plastic bags? I did, dozens and dozens of them. Good to see that consigned to history.

Oh, @Marc, if only!

My mother did exactly that: we had bags of bags in the storage closet. And I inherited that tendency, which carries on to this day. I’m accumulating many, many, many fewer bags than previously (certainly no new carrier or produce bags), but at least the ones I do have are getting second, third or more lives (which they were not designed for).